╌>

Beer flavonoid may boost brain power

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  8 comments

0_21_Beer_poured_450.jpg

A compound found in hops one of the basic ingredients of beer is capable of improving memory and thought patterns in mice, reported Quartz.

In a new study from Oregon State University, researchers sought to found out if xanthohumol, a flavonoid found only in hops, could slow down palmitoylation a natural process associated with memory degradation in animals and humans. A group of young and old mice were put on an eight-week diet of xanthohumol, a flavonoid found only in hops.

After going through a series of tests, the younger mice showed improvement in spatial memory and cognitive flexibility. The older mice did not show any changes.

While hops are the only dietary source of the rare compound, it would require drinking 2,000 liters of beer or 5,636 bottles of beer for a person to get the same effect.

The findings suggest that xanothohumol could potentially be used to treat cognitive problems.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

The findings suggest that xanothohumol could potentially be used to treat cognitive problems.

pokermike
Freshman Silent
link   pokermike    10 years ago

While hops are the only dietary source of the rare compound, it would require drinking 2,000 liters of beer or 5,636 bottles of beer for a person to get the same effect.

I am only up to 4,157 bottles of beer, but I have noticed an improvement in my cognitive abilities.

Nona62
Professor Silent

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif .......(maybe I should start drinking beer for my CRS!)

Nona62
Professor Silent

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...Pretty much!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I was a "Social Drinker'...but I quit that about 40 years ago...now I'm totally boring!! Smile.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    10 years ago

There is some indication that Cocaine is much better a improving cognitive function. It does it much, much faster-- and takes a much smaller amount. (Of course there are downsides to consistent use of both Cocaine as well as Alcohol...)

Nona62
Professor Silent

(Of course there are downsides to consistent use of both Cocaine as well as Alcohol...) Most definitely!!