╌>

Survey: States with the rudest drivers

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  10 comments

Exhaust Notes

Idaho ranks first since it has 'a dichotomy of drivers' that either go too fast or too slow

Graphic by Insure.com Which state has the rudest drivers? That's the question Insure.com posed to 2,000 drivers nationwide .

The survey was made up of half women and half men, and respondents represented all 50 states in line with census population data.The state rankings were then calculated using a ratio of the nationwide votes for drivers from a particular state divided by the number of respondents from that state.

Claiming the dubious distinction of having the rudest drivers of any state, at least according to this survey, is Idaho. A state that doesn't have any largemetropolitan areas -- hence not a lot of traffic -- may seem like a surprise.

"The roadways of Idaho present a dichotomy of drivers: Those who are moving so slowly that theyre judged to be rude, and the aggressive drivers who speed around them and flip them off," the website said. Insure.com quoted lead-footed Idahoan Matt Stubbs as pointing to the slowpokes in the state as the rude ones taking their time, driving 5 to 10 miles an hour under the limit.

Next on the list was the place where politics -- and sometimes driving -- is a contact sport: Washington, D.C.

Sam Russell told Insure.com that, Driving in D.C. can be compared to the recklessness of our politics: self-serving, abrasive and unsafe. Insure.com also noted that a recent study ranked Washington, D.C., asNo. 1in speeding tickets per capita.

Third rudestis New York, home of the Bronx cheer. New Yorker Jordan Perch acknowledged that the state's drivers are known for their lack of respect to other drivers.Its not often that you see a driver in New York raise their hand [politely] or make some other gesture saying thank you to another driver for letting them through." He added that "pretty much no driver in New York bothers to indicate before turning.

The rest of the list, in descending order, is rounded out by Wyoming, Massachusetts, Delaware and Vermont (tie), New Jersey, Nevada and Utah.

In addition to asking people which state had the rudest drivers, Insure.com's survey also discerned which state's drivers dislike those in other states the most. According to the survey, California drivers are "the No. 1 haters of drivers from surrounding states and even from states across the country," and Insure.com added that "Californians hate New York drivers more than New Jersey drivers do." The survey found that "Hater No. 2" was Texas, and that those in the Lone Star State have a beef with drivers from California, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and South Dakota.

Asked for what they find rude about other drivers when able to choose from 18 different factors, respondents said:

• Talking on a cellphone while driving 47 percent
  • Tailgating 37 percent
  • Not signaling turns 35 percent
  • Weaving in and out of lanes 28 percent
  • Driving too fast, like every road is a highway 26 percent

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I thought this was interesting. Do you agree with the survey results?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Only in Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah are the rude ones. Elsewhere in the state, I found the vast majority to be curteous and friendly.

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    10 years ago

IF you get out of the city, New York is not that bad.

Drivers suck everywhere, in the composite. In Seattle, they are too polite, slowing down if they think they see others slowing down... till they are stopped for no reason at all!

Freshman Silent

Sure Mike, blame it on them damn yankees. ;)

Nona62
Professor Silent

If you get on the Toll Ways here, you are taking your life in your hands!

Freshman Silent

Where is Here?

Nona62
Professor Silent

Oh, sorry, I should have included it. Frown.gif I am in Illinois, I have lived here all of my life.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

I drove from LA to Anaheim a while back in a rental car during rush hour when I took my sister and her kids to Dizzyland. Kinda spooky.

NM drivers aren't too bad unless it's raining, sunshiny, cloudy, any day of the week, or if they're on the road driving.

What do you "say" to someone "when" they "flip" you off, Mickey?Grin.gif

Freshman Silent

Kinda thought Chicago and environs. Once when driving from Seattle to New York, I got caught in the incessant toll kiosk/gates, finally got to Chicago at 4:30 on A Friday Afternoon..... Grid lock!

On the return trip, it was 11:00 PM and hold on , the slow folks are doing 75....

Nona62
Professor Silent

Fortunately, I live North of Chicago ! I don't have to deal with all of the mess.Smile.gif