╌>

'Exceptional' 232-carat white diamond found in S.Africa

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  9 comments

A 232.08ct White Cullinan Stone found at the Cullinan diamond mine east of Pretoria

A 232.08ct White Cullinan Stone found at the Cullinan diamond mine east of Pretoria (AFP Photo/Philip

Johannesburg (AFP) - A 232-carat white diamond worth as much as $20 million has been discovered at a South African mine famed for its big-gem finds, owners said Tuesday.

Petra Diamonds said the "exceptional" jewel was found at Cullinan, east of Pretoria, which has supplied stones for Britain's crown jewels and where the world's largest diamond was unearthed more than a century ago.

"The stone is... of exceptional size and clarity, and is a magnificent example of the large, high quality diamonds for which the mine is known," Petra Diamonds said in a statement.

In 1905, the world's biggest diamond -- the 3,106-carat "Cullinan" -- was discovered there, and later cut into two pieces to be included in the British crown jewels.

The last white diamond sold by the company was a 507.3 carat which went for $35.3 million dollars in 2010, the highest price ever paid for a rough diamond, spokesperson Cathy Malins said.

Malins said analysts had forecast that the newly found "rare and unique" gem, which will be auctioned before the end of this year, could sell for anything between $10 million and $20 million dollars.

The London-listed company operates six diamond mines on the continent - five in South Africa and one in Tanzania.

In addition to its history of yielding diamonds bigger than 10 carats, Cullinan is also a source of blue diamonds -- some of the rarest jewels in nature.

In June, a 122.52-carat blue diamond was unearthed at the same South African mine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

What a find!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

Be my luck I'd get knocked all the way out and wouldn't wake up again. A blue diamond was found back in January 2014.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Blood diamonds. Diamonds aren't pretty.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   Larry Crehore    10 years ago

Do you have any idea how many attaboy's a guy could get with a rock like that??????Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif

Great find Nona!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Smile.gif Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

I looked at the photo of the diamond . Other than its huge size I found it to be unremarkable ...