╌>

15-foot, 1,000-pound alligator captured in Alabama

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  7 comments

mega_gator.jpg

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014: A monster alligator weighing 1011.5 pounds and measuring 15-feet long is pictured in Thomaston, Ala. The alligator was caught in the Alabama River near Camden, Ala., by Mandy Stokes at right, along with her husband John Stokes, at her right, and her brother-in-law Kevin Jenkins, left, and his two teenage children, Savannah Jenkins, 16, and Parker Jenkins, 14, all of Thomaston, Ala. (AP/Al.com, Sharon Steinmann)

A group of Alabama hunters are celebrating the catch of a lifetime: A 15-foot-long alligator weighing more than 1,000 pounds.

Al.com reports that the monster gator was pulled from the water in south Alabama early Saturday during the state's alligator hunting season.

Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries biologists were able to measure the gator at 15 feet, but weighing it posed a challenge.

The first attempt completely destroyed a winch assembly used to easily hoist most average gators. So they had to use a backhoe to lift the animal. It weighed in at 1,011.5 pounds.

Al.com reports that the gator is the largest ever legally killed by an Alabama hunter. It was caught by Mandy and John Stokes, Kevin Jenkins and his children, 16-year-old Savannah and 14-year-old Parker.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

That is one big 'gator!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

I saw this on the news and thought-- EGAD. How they managed to kill this thing is a miracle...

Like in Jaws , I think I would have said, "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Smile.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Boots and boots and boots and belts - WOW

Grin.gif

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    10 years ago

Who says dinosaurs are extinct?

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago