╌>

California school district shelves sex education text that prompted parent outrage

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  2 comments

California school district shelves sex education text that prompted parent outrage

A Northern California school district is shelving a controversial sex education textbook with racy references to masturbation, sex toys and bondage.

The Fremont Unified School District acted Friday after outraged parents gathered 600 signatures on a petition calling the book extremely inappropriate for 14-year-old ninth-graders.

Superintendent Jim Morris said in a statementthe book Your Health Today was being put on hold pending further vetting from parents. Morris also said the books publisher, McGraw-Hill, has offered to modify that text to meet student needs and address parental concerns, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

I feel that its not age appropriate for these kids, parent Asfia Ahmed told the paper. I have read the book from first page to last, and most pages talk about college kids. It doesnt relate to these kids at all.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I feel that its not age appropriate for these kids, parent Asfia Ahmed told the paper. I have read the book from first page to last, and most pages talk about college kids. It doesnt relate to these kids at all.

Miss_Construed
Freshman Silent
link   Miss_Construed    10 years ago

At 14, the vast majority could ghostwrite the book for the school system.

It's really sad that we continue to dream that ignorance is a stop-gap to biology.