╌>

Woman, 85, receives WWII love letters nearly 70 years later

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  5 comments

Dorothy Bartos Carlberg finally got the message, some 70 years after a World War II sailor sent her love letters that inexplicably got lost along the way.

Carlberg, 85, was the intended recipient of letters penned by Al Fragakis, whom affectionately called her Bugs in correspondence he sent from the Navys Coronado Heights Annex in San Diego in 1945. The letters, dated July 24 and Aug. 9, 1945, arrived last month at a Little Village address nearly seven decades later, the Chicago Tribune reports

I wrote to a lot of boys in the service, she told the newspaper. We did it to keep their spirits up.

Carlbergs son, Tim, confirmed the address of his mothers childhood home through his sister, Sandy Jacobson, who said her mother always loved a guy in uniform and still does.

Carlberg, who now lives in an assisted facility in Wisconsin, said Fragakis was a really nice guy when asked by a reporter.

My Dad was very strict, but he liked boys in the military, she said. He thought they were decent.

Carlbergs husband, Victor, died in April 2012 after nearly 62 years of marriage. They had six children, five of whom survive, ranging in age from 53 to 62 years old.

Martha Rodriguez, who now lives at Carlbergs former home on Kolin Avenue, received the opened letters last month, taped back to back. Attempts to reach Fragakis or his relatives have thus far been unsuccessful, the Tribune reports.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I hope she is successful in finding Fragakis or at least his family. What a pleasant surprise.

Arch-Man
Freshman Silent
link   Arch-Man    10 years ago

Nice story. I like things like this because it brings to life the past and gives history realism.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thank you..I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love happy stories like this one.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

What a shock it must have been to receive the letters after all this time.

A feel good story. We need more stories like this.

Nona62
Professor Silent

A feel good story. We need more stories like this. I'm glad you enjoyed it Kav. Wouldn't it be nice if one day per week, nothing but good news stories got posted on the front page?? (I, know..good luck with that) lol