╌>

New Hampshire driver stops to help ducklings, gets $100 ticket

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  12 comments

A New Hampshire woman who called police after stopping in a highway median to help some stranded ducklings plans to fight a $100 ticket.

Hallie Bibeau of Newfields tells WMUR-TV she was driving east on Route 101 on Friday when she had to slam on her brakes to avoid hitting the ducklings. She says their mother and several of the ducklings were hit by a car. The mother died.

"I could hear them peeping, and I looked over the right hand side of the road, and I saw that their mom had been hit and was dead on the side, so I couldn't just continue on," she said. She told WMUR.com that while she waited, she saw a few of them "try to go to the westbound lane and got run over, and it was terrible to see."

The 33-year-old Bibeau called 911, got out of her car and captured the two surviving ducklings.

A state trooper issued Bibeau a ticket for stopping in the median. Police say median stops are for emergencies, and they didn't consider this to be one.

Officials say the ducklings were taken to a wildlife rescue in Maine, where one of them died.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I hope she wins the case. She was doing a very kind thing..

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

What a crappy deal. I hope that she wins in court as well.

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's what you get for doing the right thing..

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

No good deed goes unpunished.Frown.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Very true!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thank you Buzz..such fitting words.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    10 years ago
That sucks.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I sure does. Maybe the officer will get some time off.. (without pay)for thisstupid act.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I totally agree MM.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    10 years ago
However, parking on the shoulder can be very hazardous to yourself and other drivers. Had her actions led to an accident that hurt or killed other drivers, this would be a very different article.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Had her actions led to an accident that hurt or killed other drivers, this would be a very different article. Oh, absolutely!