╌>

100-year-old vet plans to donate money he received from group after robbery

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  2 comments

sorrentino.JPG

James V. Sorrentino, of Carson City, Nev., received the hefty lump sum in the form of an oversized check from members of Western Nevada Colleges Veterans Resource Center on Friday, nearly two months after two men forced their way into his home looking for a safe on May 25. (Courtesy: Western Nevada College Veterans Resource Center)

A 100-year-old veteran is "overwhelmed" and paying it forward after fellow service members presented him with a check for $1,000 to take the sting out of a home invasion two months ago, he told FoxNews.com.

James V. Sorrentino, of Carson City, Nev., received the hefty lump sum in the form of an oversized check from members of Western Nevada Colleges Veterans Resource Center on Friday, nearly two months after two men forced their way into his home looking for a safe on May 25.

I was overwhelmed, Sorrentino told FoxNews.com of the groups kindness. But I really dont need it, so Ill donate it to charity.

Sorrentino, a World War II Army Air Corps and Air Force veteran, said he hadnt decided exactly where hell donate the money, which was raised by the veterans group during a benefit poker run in June.

"I was overwhelmed. But I really dont need it, so Ill donate it to charity."

- James Sorrentino

Im just grateful, he continued. [It] shows the spirit of the group.

Timothy Galluzi said the group was more than thrilled to come to Sorrentinos aid after learning of the incident.

Our efforts are in keeping with our motto of veterans helping veterans, Galluzi wrote in an email. The smile on his face made the months of hard work for this event well worth it.

After ransacking Sorrentinos home, which does not contain a safe, the suspects fled with a wristwatch, pocketknife and a wallet containing about $30.

One of the suspects, Jordan Burkhart, has pleaded guilty to a felony robbery charge against a person over 60. The 24-year-old Wellington man now faces up to 35 years in prison when hes sentenced next month.

The other suspect, 27-year-old Robert Hernandez of Carson City, tried to plead guilty to the same charge but his plea wasn't accepted, KRNV-TV reports. Hes expected to appear at another hearing this week.

Galluzi, meanwhile, told FoxNews.com that Sorrentino was definitely surprised when he saw the oversized check on Friday.

It was a community effort and it got brought to my attention and once I told my guys up here what happened, we definitely wanted to get involved, Galluzi told FoxNews.com. That huge smile on his face made it all worthwhile.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Kudos to Mr. Sorrentino.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

Stories and people like this renew my faith in Humanity...I wish more stories like thiswould be printed, I know there are a lot of good people out there.