╌>

Starbucks barista in a latte trouble; faces firing over small tattoo

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  8 comments

A Starbucks barista in Michigan could lose her job over a tattoo on her hand that is smaller than a penny.

The woman told MyFoxDetroit thatshe recently got anultimatum: get rid of the tattoo in 30 days or resign.

Its just a little heart; you can cover it up with your thumb, Kayla told the station Wednesday. Her last name was not revealed by the station.

Its not offensive to anybody, Kaylasaid. Now, I am being told after five years of having this tattoo, being hired in that, I have to get rid of it or resign from my job.

The 27-year-old woman from Rochester Hills said the tattoo is located above her left thumb and she had it whenStarbuckshiredher five years ago. She has been using makeup to hide it. Apparently, that didn't satisfy her bosses at a Starbucks in Troy, MI.

Starbucks told the station thatcompany policy barsbaristas from havingvisible tattoos. This is part of our dress code policy and is discussed with our candidates during the interview process, Starbucks said in a statement.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

This is just ridiculous! I see no problem with a small tattoo of a heart on her hand.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

It will come down to two questions -

Does the company have the right to set a dress code / appearance policy for its workers?

Since she had the tattoo when hired, did they know she had it and in effect grant a waiver to the policy by hiring her in the first place?

Seems like much ado about very little to me

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    10 years ago

Agreed.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I agree. I hope there is a follow up on this article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

She had the tattoo when she was hired and it wasn't an issue. Now, all of a sudden it's an issue!!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Go figure...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Yes, they can set a dress code and enforce it, too. The employer, in this case, is in a bind because they didn't enforce their own dress code these 5 years. They now appear capricious and would probably lose in court, but I am sure she couldn't afford to go to court. Why would she for a job at Starbucks - if she won the lawsuit would she want to work there under the circumstances?

Nona62
Professor Silent

All good points!