╌>

Michigan woman hooks piranha cousin with rep for vicious personal bite

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  11 comments

• pacu4.jpg

Holley Luft, 52, was fishing with her husband, Tom, at Lake St. Clair in Michigan on Wednesday when she noticed something unusual tugging at her line, which was baited with catfish and a nightcrawler. (Courtesy: Holley Luft)

• pacu.jpg

Red-bellied pacus, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, are distinguished from piranhas primarily by their teeth, with pacus featuring two rows of molar-like dentition compared to a single-row of serrated incisor-like teeth in piranhas. Theyve been reported in 43 states and generally are vegetarian, eating fruits and nuts. (Courtesy: Holley Luft)

• pacu2.jpg

Luft said officials at Michigans Department of Natural Resources told her the fish most likely was released from a personal aquarium after becoming too large or aggressive. Its unclear whether the animal was male or female, she said. (Courtesy: Holley Luft)

A Michigan woman dangling a worm in a Detroit-area lake hooked a cousin of the piranha whose imposing teeth and undeserved reputation for biting testicles make it one of the scariest freshwater fish on the planet.

The once in a lifetime catch made last week by Holley Luft at Lake St. Clair was a red-bellied pacu likely released into the lake by a pet owner. At 15 inches and just under 2 pounds, it was big enough to look imposing, but small by pacu standards: in native waters of South America and elsewhere, the fish can grow as large as 55 pounds.

Luft was fishing about 15 feet from the shoreline with her husband, Tom, on the Harrison Township lake on Wednesday when she noticed something unusual tugging at her line, which was baited with catfish and a nightcrawler.

"At first we couldnt believe it we were flabbergasted."

- Holley Luft

When it first came up, Im like, Holy crap, Luft, 52, told FoxNews.com by phone early Tuesday. And just as I was ready to get it out of the net, my husband said 'I think its a piranha.' So I dropped the fish and when I did, the hook came out of his mouth. At first we couldnt believe it we were flabbergasted.

It was a very healthy and very pretty fish, she continued. We were totally shocked; the teeth were just flabbergasting.

Luft said officials at Michigans Department of Natural Resources told her the fish most likely was released from a personal aquarium after becoming too large or aggressive. Its unclear whether the animal was male or female, she said.

They said for sure they thought it was somebodys pet, Luft said. In 2007, somebody had caught another one in the same vicinity.

Jim Francis, a spokesman for Michigans Department of Natural Resources, confirmed the exotic catch, saying pacus are caught about every other year in the area.

Its not like we see them all the time, but its not uncommon either, Francis told FoxNews.com. In most cases, we think these are incidental releases from an aquarium.

The fish, which now sits in Lufts freezer, would likely not have survived the harsh Michigan winter, Francis said.

Its a popular fish in the pet industry, he said. And this was rather large, so its possible there are other fish out there. There may be more out there, but theyd be at very low levels.

Red-bellied pacus, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, are distinguished from piranhas primarily by their teeth, with pacus featuring two rows of molar-like dentition compared to a single-row of serrated incisor-like teeth in piranhas. Theyve been reported in 43 states and generally are vegetarian, eating fruits and nuts.

This species is a popular aquarium fish and is sold in most pet stores as juveniles, a USGS profile reads. In warmer climates such as south Florida, it is also a popular pond fish. It is a prized food fish in South America.

One wild pacu caught last summer in a sound dividing Sweden and Denmark, however, prompted museum expert Henrik Carl to warn against one specific potential target of the fish.

[The pacus] mouth is not so big, so of course it normally eats nuts, fruit, and small fish, but human testicles are just a natural target, Carl told NPR. It's not normal to get your testicles bitten off, of course, but it can happen, especially now in Sweden."

"Anyone choosing to bathe in the resund these days had best keep their swimsuits well-tied, Carl continued.

Although Carl later said he was joking, the fish have been known to chomp on fingers and toes.

In 2011, a pacu was reportedly blamed for the death of two men in Papua New Guinea, where the fish is nicknamed the ball cutter.

Luft, meanwhile, said she and her husband were joking that theyd be sure to wear footwear the next time they fish in Lake St. Clair.

We were joking that its good we got it out of the lake, she told FoxNews.com. They said its a once-in-a-lifetime catch, so its really kind of a once-in-a-lifetime event for me. But if youre going to be in the news, its nice to be in for something fun.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

That is onemean looking fish!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I guess it goes to show that you can never be too careful.

Nona62
Professor Silent

ummm...Beautiful??

Nona62
Professor Silent

Moby Dick!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Lol Good one!! 71.gif 71.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Do I dare ask why?

Nona62
Professor Silent

I suspected there was more involved than just the book...Grin.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

That was a spooky article. The nut cutter. Nice name. I'm really happy it won't be able to survive the winter. I was thinking maybe they were breeding out there. yikes !!!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Contrary to popular belief, Moby Dick is not a disease.

Nona62
Professor Silent

ROFLMAO!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I was 16 and full of raging hormones. I mean it's not like I read it because I enjoyed it. Besides, those were really incredible legs

Are you saying you're a leg man?? j/k