╌>

Chatillon, The Belgian Car Cemetary

Category:  Other

Via:  ambivalent  •  10 years ago  •  9 comments

Chatillon, The Belgian Car Cemetary

3984_discussions.jpg http://www.boredpanda.com/chatillon-car-graveyard-abandoned-cars-cemetery-belgium/

These spooky apocalyptic images are not a scene from Walking Dead, they were actually taken at one of the biggest car cemeteries in the world the Chatillion Car Graveyard, Belgium.

According to an urban legend these cars were left behind by US soldiers from World War II, who could not ship them back to the US so they decided to hide them in a forest until they could come back and retrieve them.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Great pictures! It's sort of spooky, though-- like those shows that talk about all the humans being gone and how things would change in over 50 years. Apparently, if humans vanish from the face of the globe, in a few hundred years, there would be little left of us.

Now, THAT's a thought...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That, it will. I just read an article where the Ogalla aquifer is just about dry... We'll have to see how that goes. I would expect land values to plummet.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Oh, wow. I bet there are some real treasures in there. Some of those cars might be priceless or provide some parts for restoration on other cars. I'd love to visit that place.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

The geologists have been warning the ranchers and farmers who are irrigating that the aquifer was going dry for 20+ years. They all saw it coming and now it's here.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Yeah, your probably right. I'll stay home.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

What a recycling treasure, though! A shame they are in such bad shape...