╌>

Neighbor captures Walnut Creek burglary suspect

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  2 comments

WALNUT CREEK POLICE
James Murdaugh

A Walnut Creek man is being called a hero after subduing a would-be burglar. Police say 51-year old James Murdaugh pried open the door of an apartment on the 500 block of Civic Drive and then tried to make off with a bag filled with jewelry.

Ahmad Jodeh says the sound of the break in actually woke him up from a nap. In a split second decision the burglar ran and he gave chase.

"I ran after him and I tackled him and then he tried to tase me. And I got the taser away from him. And then he tried to stab me, well he did stab me with a screwdriver in my leg." Jodeh told KTVU.

Jodeh suffered a minor injury to his thigh, but managed to pin Murdaugh until police arrived. He says he was just trying to do the right thing.

"The way I measure it is, I hope somebody would do that for me," he said.

The jewelry was recovered and Murdaugh, who was on parole for burglary, is now back behind bars.

While police are grateful for the assistance, they say they don't recommend people take matters into their own hands.

"Obviously this neighbor felt confident to handle the situation. A more prudent response would be to call 911 and be a good witness. I wouldn't want to see people put themselves in harms way," says Sgt. Mike McLaughlin of the Walnut Creek Police.

The resident of the apartment was not home at the time but says she personally thanked Jodeh for his actions.

Murdaugh is being held on the parole violation and is likely facing charges for residential burglary and assault with a deadly weapon.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

What a brave, good neighbor!! BRAVOAhmed Jodeh !!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

That's the way to take care of your neighbors Grin.gif