╌>

Entire Spanish Villages Up for Sale

Category:  Other

Via:  ambivalent  •  9 years ago  •  10 comments

Entire Spanish Villages Up for Sale

446_discussions.jpg?width=750 Every August, Spain's countryside comes alive with fiestas.

A jolly trombone player prances through a crowd of revelers in Cantalejo, a small town about 1 1/2 hours' drive north of Madrid. But the hubbub is deceiving because hardly anyone actually lives here. People come one week a year to party in the villages of their ancestors. During the other 51 weeks, towns like this are deserted.

"There was a time when this place was growing! But not anymore. This pueblo is dying," says Felix Sacristan, who's 55 and unemployed, living in his late grandfather's house. "The only ones left are the elderly. There are lots of abandoned homes."

In northern Europe, the Industrial Revolution pulled people to big cities centuries ago. But in Spain, that migration happened much later in the mid-20th century. The first wave occurred after the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930s; the second, after Spain's military dictatorship ended in the late 1970s.

Elderly residents gather in a dying village in the Sierra Francia region, northwest of Madrid.

Now there's been a third exodus, amid the recent economic crisis. But it's not just on Spain's harsh central plans. Even villages in the country's most fertile northwest region, Galicia, are being depopulated. The lush Galician landscape once supported Spain's highest population density, and half of all Spanish villages some 3,500 hamlets are located there.

Now nearly half of these villages are abandoned.

Enter Mark Adkinson, a British-born real estate agent who scours the countryside for abandoned properties, and tries to match them up with foreign buyers.

"Some of the places I'm finding have been empty for 50 or 60 years," Adkinson says. "And my job is to try to find the descendants."

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/08/23/433228503/in-spain-entire-villages-are-up-for-sale-and-theyre-going-cheap?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20150830&utm_campaign=mostemailed&utm_term=nprnews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

The one with the river full of trout is interesting. Mac and I would love to have that village.

Interesting how the movement of the populationhas changed Spain so much.

Kavika
Professor Principal

LOL, indeed I do see where your going...Mac and I may be right behind or ahead of you.Smile.gif

deepwater don
Freshman Silent
link   deepwater don    9 years ago

And once you all get set up, deepwater don will be moving in also. Sounds like a nice place to live. One could almost be self sufficient it would seem. Thanks for the article, ambi!

Kavika
Professor Principal

We are gathering a tribe to move to Spain. Welcome dd, this is good.Smile.gif

deepwater don
Freshman Silent
link   deepwater don    9 years ago

Sockeye salmon, fresh from the ocean is the best. As is halibut. They are two of my favorites, as well as codfish. And of course any crab is near the top of my list also. I will put something together, with some pictures. You have very good taste in your choice of seafood, ambi.

K.... I'll be there when you get the Tribe together. Grin.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    9 years ago

Galicia is one of the most beautiful parts of Spain. I have spent many summers there with my daughter-in-law's family. It's lush and green with grand history around every corner. This exodus is dreadful. Many of the young move to Madrid where there is opportunity for advanced education and jobs other than farming or shop tending, etc.

Many of the old houses are simply gorgeous beyond description.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Many, many years ago I toured the area. It is beautiful, really beautiful. It's very sad to see it in it's present condition.