╌>

Arthritis drug helps hairless man regrow full head of hair

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  17 comments

A novel treatment involving the use of an arthritis drug helped a 25-year-old man grow a full head of hair after a rare disease left him completely hairless.

There is no known cure for alopecia universalis -- the autoimmune disease that the man suffers from, which causes a loss of all body hair. Yale researchers came up with an effective targeted treatment that helped the patient grow his hair back, including eyebrows, eyelashes, facial hair and body hair.

alopecia-hair-drug-jid-2014-0170-r1-figure-2.jpg

A - Patient before treatment. B - Two months into treatment with tofacitinib. C - Three months into treatment. D - Eight months into treatment.
Yale University

"The results are exactly what we hoped for," Dr. Brett A. King, assistant professor of dermatology at Yale University School of Medicine and senior author of a paper outlining the results online in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, said in a statement. "This is a huge step forward in the treatment of patients with this condition. While it's one case, we anticipated the successful treatment of this man based on our current understanding of the disease and the drug. We believe the same results will be duplicated in other patients, and we plan to try."

The patient in the study had also been diagnosed with plaque psoriasis , a condition characterized by scaly red areas of skin. The only hair he had was within the psoriasis plaques on his head. He went to Yale Dermatology to get treated for the psoriasis; he had never been treated for the alopecia.

When King examined the patient, he thought that both diseases could be addressed with the use of a single drug for rheumatoid arthritis called tofacitinib citrate. The drug had been used to treat psoriasis in people and it had been effective at reversing a less extreme from of alopecia in mice .

"There are no good options for long-term treatment of alopecia universalis," King said. "The best available science suggested this might work, and it has."

Indeed, after two months of treatment with 10 mg of the arthritis drug a day, the patient's psoriasis showed some improvement. And, for the first time in seven years, the man had grown scalp and facial hair. After three more months of therapy at 15 mg a day, the patient completely regrew scalp hair and started regrowing eyebrows, eyelashes, facial hair, armpit and other hair.

"By eight months there was full regrowth of hair," study coauthor Dr. Brittany G. Craiglow, said in a statement. "The patient has reported feeling no side effects, and we've seen no lab test abnormalities, either."

Tofacitinib citrate seems to trigger hair growth by turning off the immune system attack on hair follicles that is prompted by the disease, King said.

The drug helps in some cases of psoriasis, and it was mildly effective in treating this patient's psoriasis, the researchers said.

King has submitted a proposal for a clinical trial involving a cream form of the arthritis drug as a treatment for a less extreme form of alopecia, which causes a hair loss that is typically less extensive than alopecia universalis.

• Play Video

The hot dog: A summer tradition

• Play Video

On video: Houston family chases alleged burglars

• Play Video

Can Iraq's PM hold his country together?

• Play Video

Marine awarded Medal of Honor after absorbing grenade blast

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

This is great for people that are self conscious about going bald. Many men actually shave their heads.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

That's a nice head of hair he grew. I am envious. I started losing my hair when I was 17. I went to the family doctor and he advised me it was male pattern baldness and a glandular problem. He said the glands could be removed and my hair loss would stop, but I would probably want to keep those glands. Then he snickered. I sat there stupid and the light finally dawned on me. So, I kept those glands and was bald by time I was 19. I never worried about it or cared - except when I got a nasty sun burn a couple times. I have lots of hats.

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's thetrend now Grump, so you fit right in. (maybe you started the trend) !!

My Uncle went bald about 40 years ago and he actually looks good being bald! He always reminds me of Yul Bryner.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I am so trendy.

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...I know Grump, AND...I'll bet you'rea Fashionista too!

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's for sure!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    10 years ago

Thanks for posting this Tzia...I've been thinking about putting up an article about alopecia but it was going to come from the personal experience side. This so sucks...bad enough for men but when it happens to women it's especially hard to deal with.

When I was about 20 I had, what I know now as a mild case of, alopecia areata. I had three spots, the largest being the size of a quarter or so. The treatment at the time was cortisone injections in the spots...yeah ouch, it didn't tickle. But after several months of these once a month treatments the hair came back.

Fast forward 35+ years...I go in to get a haircut and the woman asks me if I've ever heard of alopecia. I said uh, yeah? Turns me around, hands me a mirror and damn if there isn't a large...and I'm talking about 3"!...bald spot on the back of my head. I freaked out, called my doctor and she got me in right away. She sent me to a dermatologist who confirmed it is alopecia areata (small patches of hair loss as opposed to losing all the hair on your body)...also found two more spots. That was about 3 months ago and because of lack of research (or so the doc says) the preferred treatment hasn't changed in 35+ years so I've had three treatments so far (and found three more spots...that makes 6 total...the smallest about an inch up to the original large spot which has grown slightly). With each treatment he's increased the strength of the injections and this last time I think might be causing some minor problems. The second time I kept count of how many pokes he put in the big spot...53! I lost track of how many pokes total including all the spots but it has to be well over 100...hard to hold back the tears by the end. He did say that if there isn't more improvement by my next visit...this coming Friday...he is going to use light therapy, which I've found some info on...it's been used to treat psoriasis but has shown results in treating alopecia. Also, another treatment that can be used in conjunction with the injections is rogaine. But only the men's strength has shown results in regrowing hair on the alopecia spots. So, that's what I've been doing, twice a day. I've seen some regrowth...woohoo...but it's slow, the process could take a year. I have medium to dark brown hair and the new hair is coming in white/blonde...I'll take it as long as it comes back in.

Wow...so sorry for this extremely long post...guess I had a few things to say! Thanks for giving me the platform, Tzia.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Oh Uppy, no problem at all. I hope it was helpful. I may be wrong, BUT...if I'm not mistaken, you should be careful of the Cortisone...from what I've read it could have some side affects,( I think) if the injection is given often. ( good luck with the Rogaine)

Would you consider asking your DR. for Arthritis meds? Good luck , and I'm so sorry to hear about this!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Wow! That's pretty pricey!I guess if one has the money and is vain enough...go fornit!

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Cortisone? Well, there goes your chances of participating in the Olympics. Would you be eligible for treatment with tofacitinib?

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I can buy a hat for a couple bucks.

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    10 years ago

Battling a condition that is linked genetically to generations seems like a risky proposition to me. It's possible it's not doing just one thing. I'm a firm believer, after watching others, that one thing leads to another.

Do you think that isn't true with this condition? ..(to those of you trying things)

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

I don't know Chloe, but my neighbor years ago was already an old man and had a wife like Buzz about half his age. He would get out there and cut his grass with his shirt off. He looked like Sasquatch or Yeti. Grin.gif

I think he had arthritis too.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

BF,

Have you triedPropecia? When combined withrogaine most men will havesubstantialhair growth.

Sorry ladies, woman can't use it.

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Hahaha!

I've noticed some completely bald men that have a lot of body hair like that when they take their shirts off. I hadn't thought of drugs helping, possibly. That could be. It could also be natural for them to be hairy everywhere except on their heads, I think.

I think bald can be attractive on the right person. I don't think all men should think of it as detractive. A woman can be a different story, imo.

The arthritis factor and meds is interesting.

(P.S...Thank you for commenting to me, and I noticed several of your articles, but I didn't have knowledge of them to comment. Good job!)

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

Yea, if I had a gun, I probably would have sat on my porch until he went back in. Looked like a guerrilla, but he was a really a very nice man. And I was kidding about the gun.

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Looked like a guerrilla, but he was a really a very nice man. And I was kidding about the gun.

LoL....that's good, and I thought you were kidding.