╌>

5 Things to Know About Adoptees' Search Via DNA

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  11 comments

This iframe is not allowed This iframe is not allowed

More than 200 newborns in the 1950s and '60s were relocated in off-the-books adoptions through Dr. Thomas Hicks' McCaysville clinic in far northern Georgia.

Some of the adoptees, now in their 50s and 60s, are trying again to find blood relatives via fresh DNA testing. That may be their only way of confirming biological links because they have no records of their natural parents, and the doctor died decades ago.

The adoptees, who sometimes call themselves "Hicks babies," arranged for Fairfield, Ohio-based DNA Diagnostics Center to conduct free cheek-swab sampling this Saturday at a motel in Ducktown, Tennessee, near McCaysville. A half-dozen or more adoptees are giving samples, and they hope potential relatives from the area participate, too.

Here are five things to know:

THERE ARE BELIEVED TO BE HUNDREDS OF ADOPTEES FROM HICKS' CLINIC WHO ENDED UP IN VARIOUS STATES. A local probate judge helping a woman search for her birth parents in the late 1990s found records of more than 200 questionable births in roughly a 12-year span. She concluded there was no logical explanation for why so many mothers were listed out-of-state.

SOME ADOPTEES HAD DNA TESTING DONE WHEN THAT DISCOVERY WAS MADE. A few connected with biological relatives through the genetic testing, the resulting publicity and media coverage, or a combination. Others believe the samples they gave were never run for comparison.

IMPROVEMENTS IN DNA TESTING MIGHT LEAD TO MORE ANSWERS NOW. DNA Diagnostics Center will compare samples if there are indications of a possible match between the people who gave them, and the type of testing may depend on the suspected relationship. For example, mitochondrial testing could establish a maternal link, said Dr. Michael Baird, the company's chief science officer.

THE ADOPTEES WORRY THEY'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO CONNECT WITH BIOLOGICAL PARENTS OR SIBLINGS. The adoptees are at a time of life where they're reflecting on their lives and also running into more health concerns without knowing their family medical histories. Paul Payne, an adoptee living in Hixson, Tennessee, says some of them were struck by the realization that their parents are getting up in age or may already have died. That was the motivation for organizing the DNA sample collection in Ducktown this weekend.

HICKS' LEGACY REMAINS A SENSITIVE SUBJECT IN MCCAYSVILLE. Did he sell black-market babies and profit? Was he just trying to help loving couples who wanted children or desperate young or unwed mothers with nowhere else to turn? His record included a drug-selling conviction and an illegal abortion charge, but locals took a positive view of the man, defending him as a good doctor who helped his community.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

Being an Adoptive parent, I found this interesting. We have no info about our daughter's birth Mother, so, we have no Medical information.

At one point in my daughter's life, she wanted to try to contact the birth Mother, but changed her mind. She asked me if it would hurt my feelings if she contacted her, and I told her absolutely not! She has every right to contact her IF she choses. But she decided against it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

As I sit here, going through suitcases worth of pictures, newspaper clippings, whole newspapers, etc., I can't imagine what it must be like to have such a void in one's life. As far as medical records go, I am assured through common sense that I can't get everything they had, just because I'm the Last of the Mohicans. Smile.gif

At the same time, I truly understand the need to connect with one's history. My hearts go out to those who are left with so many questions!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I agree, The adopted person takes the risk of being rejected...yet again. My daughter doesn't seem to be interested anymore. Maybe in the future, and that's fine by me. I understand, I have a lot of questions about my Mother who left us 5 kids and never heard from her again.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    10 years ago

We adopted kids too Tzia and though we know who, and of, the biological parents, they were unwilling to give any information to adoption services or us. All the biological siblings have also been as tight-lipped because of fear that they may be "ratting-out" the family. Things like fetal alcohol syndrome, drug use, communicable or sexualy transmitted diseases, vaccination records......all a mystery and makes it so much tougher on the kids and their adoptive parents. For children that have absolutely no clue, it is that much worse.

Nona62
Professor Silent

True, my daughter changed Dr.s, and of course they want family history, and she can't give it to them. She just explains that she is adopted.

Although, we asked our Lawyer about the biological parents health ,and all he would tell us was that there no heart problems, no drug abuse. She doesn't really know what her Nationality is. She's very well adjusted ,and is fine. That's all that really matters to us.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Yes, I would, too!

Frown.gif

I'm sorry you had to live through that. I wonder why my mother wanted me to be adopted at age 7. I was still pretty cute at age 7, even though I had rheumatic fever. Frown.gif

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    10 years ago

Our kids are grown and outta the house. Now we have a grandson with another on the way and those children will know their parents and grandparents. I will share your story with my wife and we will keep you and your family in our thoughts, sending all kindsa good vibes and karma your direction.

:~)

Nona62
Professor Silent

She wanted you to be adopted??? Oh Dear Dowser. how painful that must have to hear from your own Mother. i'm sorry YOu had to go through THAT !!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thanks Larry. She also is married and seems to be very happy, and to me, that's important.

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant    10 years ago
I know very little of adoption, but I do know that DNA testing is being used more and more in genealogical research. The Y-DNA test can connect the males of a particular familial line and the mitochondrial test is used for female connections. I'm not sure this could help or not with the adoption research, but it may be a start in the direction of a surname search.My own experience was that I joined a group of likewise surnames and submitted a test. There were hundreds of members tested and I only matched one other person. All of the other members were from other lines of the same name. So, it can be hit or miss, but it did tell me that I must be Scottish as opposed to Ulster Scots (aka Scotch-Irish). I think the testing companies have the ability to compare results over a wider range than just my group.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I think DNA testing is fairly accurate. isn't IT WONDERFUL HOW FAR SCIENCE HA SCOME?