╌>

Scout Willis explains why she walked around New York City topless

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  18 comments

scout willis black bar2.jpg

Scout Willis protested Instagram by walking around New York City topless.

She made headlines for walking around the streets of New York topless and now Scout Willis has revealed why she did it. Us weekly reports that the 22-year-old daughter of Bruce Willis and penned an essayarrow-10x10.png for Jane Pratts site xoJane to explain her semi-nude protest.

"Earlier last week I decided to do something kind of crazy," she wrote. "Instagram had recently deleted over what they called 'instances of abuse.' Which in reality amounted to a photo of myself in a sheer top and a post of a jacket I made featuring a picture of two close friends topless. For these instances of abuse, I was politely informed that I would no longer be welcome in the Instagram community."

"My situation was in no way unique; women are regularly kicked off Instagram for posting photos with any portion of the areola exposed, while photos sans nippledegrading as they might beremain unchallenged," she continued. "So I walked around New York topless and documented it on Twitter, pointing out that what is legal by New York state law is not allowed on Instagram."

Willis called the protest, "an opportunity for dialogue" and rued the fact that "unfortunately the emphasis in the press has been on sensationalizing my breasts, chiefly in terms of my family."

"There are also some people who would criticize my choice to relate nipples with equality at all. To me, nipples seem to be at the very heart of the issue. In the 1930s, mens nipples were just as provocative, shameful, and taboo as womens are now, and men were protesting in much the same way," Willis wrote.

"Men fought and they were heard, changing not only laws but social consciousness. And by 1936, mens bare chests were accepted as the norm. So why is it that 80 years later women cant seem to achieve the same for their chests? Why cant a proudly breastfeed her child in public without feeling sexualized? Why should I feel overly exposed because I choosearrow-10x10.png not to wear a bra? Why would it be okay with Instagram and Facebook to allow photos of a cancer survivor who has had a double mastectomy and is without areolas but 'photos with fully exposed breasts, particularly if theyre unaffected by surgery, dont follow Instagrams Community Guidelines.'"

She concluded by saying that it should be, a womans right to choosearrow-10x10.png how she represents her body.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

What a confident woman.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    10 years ago
More women should do this. Not all of them, just the ones that rock a nice pair of tatas.

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol....After a while it would become mundane, don't you think?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

And what a beautiful walk it was.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
That's a chance I'm willing to take. :)Kind of like when someone tells me that money can't buy happiness. My response invariably is "let me win the lottery and be the judge of that, please."

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Good thing she didn't do it during the Winter!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

Well, if she had, her "pointers" would have been very noticable???

Nona62
Professor Silent

VERY noticeable!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol... You actually looked at her face?? Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

Women have the legal right to be topless in some cities , NYC being one of them . Surprisingly few women exercise that right ... Why is that ?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    10 years ago

Fear of crowds and hands.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Nippie Kai Yay motherfucker!

Nona62
Professor Silent

And I thank you for that Smile.gif

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    10 years ago

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

Miss_Construed
Freshman Silent
link   Miss_Construed    10 years ago

I think she looks quite a bit like Demi... not so much Bruce...