╌>

Brain implant turned man into passionate Johnny Cash fan

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  12 comments

JohnnyCash_reuters.jpg

Legendary singer Johnny Cash performing in 1999. (Reuters/Jeff Christensen)

Researchers say they were left shocked after a man being treated for severe obsessive-compulsive disorder became a passionate Johnny Cash fan after having a stimulation device planted in his head.

A report in the Frontier in Behavioral Neuroscience by Mariska Mantione and colleagues describe the case of Mr. B., a 58-year-old Dutch man who had suffered severe obsessive-compulsive disorder from the age of 13.

As a last resort he was given (DBS), a surgical treatment involving the implantation of a called a brain , which sends electrical impulses to specific parts of the brain.

The treatment worked, the researchers said, as his anxiety and went down.

Mr. B. reported he felt very confident, calm and assertive and he started to call himself 'Mr. B. II', the new and improved version of himself, they said in the paper.

However, there was one unusual side-effect. Mr. B.s brain couldnt get enough of Johnny Cash.

Half year after DBS surgery, Mr. B. stated that he was turning into a Johnny Cash fan. He had been listening to the radio, when he coincidentally heard Ring of Fire of the country and western singer and experienced that he was deeply affected by the song. Mr. B. started to listen to more songs of Johnny Cash and noticed that he was deeply moved by the raw and low-pitched voice of the singer, researchers wrote. Mr. B. reported that he felt good following treatment with DBS and that the songs of Johnny Cash made him feel even better. From this moment on, Mr. B. kept listening simply and solely to Johnny Cash and bought all his CDs and DVDs From the first time Mr. B. heard a Johnny Cash song, [all other music] has been banned.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

That's incredible!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

I like Johnny Cash ok, but, I'm truly glad I'm not married to that man... Smile.gif

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Most reasonable explanation I've heard yet...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    10 years ago

From this moment on, Mr. B. kept listening simply and solely to Johnny Cash and bought all his CDs and DVDs From the first time Mr. B. heard a Johnny Cash song, [all other music] has been banned.

The guy is still has OCD, plain and simple. "all other music has been banned", hilarious.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Tnx D-- probably accounts for Justin Bieber & Miley Cyrus as well...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Years ago, I went to the picture show with friends. Our movie was full, so we went to the one next door-- Folsom Prison Blues.

A 10 minute shot of a commode does not a movie make...

I agree with you on Justin and Miley, too! Oh My Gosh!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Good point, Pat!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Smiley Virus and Justin Beiber 24.gif 24.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

What a hoot, Tzia!!

And here I thought Conehead the Ball-bearing and John Revolting were funny!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...yes it would have!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Smiley's parents must be so proud of her.../s