╌>

Moderator Update and Reminder of Moderator Members Roles

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  10 years ago  •  107 comments

Moderator Update and Reminder of Moderator Members Roles

Hello NewsTalkers,

This is a friendly note from me about some changes in the lineup of member/moderators and a reminder to the group about our unique moderating system.

Jerry Verlinger and Sixpick will be moving up to full mods. Also joining the team is an old veteran moderator, Mike Lonkouski aka NewsTalker#1.

Also I want to go over the rules for moderation, since they are unique to NT.

• No mod can moderate in an article they have participating in, as it would be a conflict of interest. If there is a need for moderation, they must get another mod, just like any other member.
  • Moderators are like any other member when they not moderating. That does mean that sometimes they may break the CoC. If they do, they are subject to moderation just like any other member.
  • Moderators do not moderate based on their opinions, but strictly on the CoC. Any indiscretion of this should be reported to either me or Mac.

I will be on the road, late Tuesday till Saturday due to my mother's surgery, but I will have my computer and I will try to beonlineas much as possible.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

I protest all moderation...We need milita groups instead.

Arch-Man
Freshman Silent
link   Arch-Man    10 years ago

Sounds like a Gov't conspiracy (NewsTalker's Department of Article Management). Smile.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal

LOL, good one Arch.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

Perrie, I know everyone here will have you and your mother in our hearts and look forward to a speedy recovery for her.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

Thanks Six. That means a lot to me!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You guys crack me up!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

The very best of luck to your Mom! You will all be in my prayers. Please keep us posted, ok?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Dowser and I will Dowser.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

I'll be back as soon as I get the carts put away, I hope!

Shopping carts rolling down a hill.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

Perrie

Thanks for the update

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your Mom, take care and travel safe

A fine looking cast of characters you have assembled Smile.gif

That list of moderators on the front page brings images to mind, for instance

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQedke9rqHdGk53xiORrfubL_mSDSF4m0TH4hsRB7_CQxT_OsdU

Smile.gif

Thanks to deiviantart.com for the grpaic

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    10 years ago

Your feet must be getting really hot!

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    10 years ago

Hmmmm...

Firstly, this must be like graduating For Jerry and Six, so congratulations to them. Woooooo-hoo-hoo-hooooooo!

Secondly:an old veteran moderator, Mike Lonkouski aka NewsTalker#1.You realize that this will only prompt him to change his name yet again??

Hope Your Mom does well. And you, of course. Safe travels!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    10 years ago

That does seem to be a unique quality of this site.......

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Safe travels and the best thoughts and prayers for your mom.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    10 years ago

41.gif MiG...I think you nailed it!

Congrats to Six & Jerry on your graduations!Grad flasher

Thoughts are with you and your mom, Perrie...keep in touch, when you can. 1508316.GIF

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Is that good or bad Gar?

Uptownchick
Junior Silent

Welcome back Mike L!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Good One Robert!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OMG Mike, that's too funny!24.gif

Who put Billy Joel in the picture?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Uppy! I will! Let's hope I don't end up over the Indian Ocean (Can you tell that I hate to fly???)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Brolly!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Gary! We can't have enough good wishes and prayers.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Yes they are and I have to push all those little old ladies carts back up that hill. I was 6 feet tall when I started this job. Now I'm 5 foot 8 inches.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

That's hilarious Mike!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL... I never noticed that before!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent

OMG...good catch Perrie! Who knew Six was really our Billy in disguise!24.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago
Be careful Perrie - best prayers for you both - you for flying and her for the surgery.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

And Excellent wish 1st! Thank you!

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    10 years ago

Good thoughts going up for you and your Mom Perrie. I'm sure your flight will be fine, and your Mom too!!

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    10 years ago

Safe travels, Perrie. Prayers for you and your mom during the surgery and recovery.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    10 years ago

Well I think we should be allowed to execute people who comment on ourarticles when we don't like them. Of course, we should warn them, first. Something like "If you comment here again, it's curtains for ya!"

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    10 years ago

Good thoughts and prayers going upward Perrie!

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Send me your e-mail address, Big Girl.....

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Here and I thought you were a girl, the way you talk!

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

I thought your "Mike" was short for "Michelle"...........Grin.gif

Tsula
Freshman Silent
link   Tsula    10 years ago

I know that I have been very remiss here but wanted you to know, Perrie, that you and your Mom will be in our thoughts and prayers as well.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Tsula! Very sweet of you. She is doing amazingly well.

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    10 years ago

Mike L is the best amongst us at moderating. Fact.

Jerry and Six are definitely deserving of full mod duties.

Cheers.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I think you are being very humble here, is Alt0198 (that is quite the mouthful). You have done a most excellent job yourself.

And I concur about Mike, Jerry and Six.

Pedro
Professor Participates

I appreciate that....and stand by what I said. :)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

That the moderators sometimes are as bad or worse than non-moderators when they aren't wearing their moderator hat? I think that's bad as they should be setting the example when it comes to living within the rules of the site, that we've all agreed to, and yet, we see the, 'well, I'm not beinga moderator right now' reasoning to act foolishly.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Very True jwc!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

HA!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    10 years ago

Mike L is the best amongst us at moderating. Fact.

Now if he could only just learn to read......

Jerry and Six are definitely deserving of full mod duties.

I know Six was ready, I was just moved up with the class.26.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That's not true Jerry. I wouldn't have moved you up if you were not ready.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

106.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

If only it were true ...

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    10 years ago

I am going to go on record and say I don't feel Jerry is ready nor should he be a Moderator here on NT.

A quote from Jerry's comment..."If you think a police officer, his peers and his commanders won't lie to cover an allegation of abuse, you're sadly mistaken. ..."

replace the words Police officer with moderator and I see problems coming up in the future.....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LR,

A comment made in an article as a member has no baring on a comment made as a mod. Most of our mods, including myself, have made comments less than fitting a moderator. That is why we have other mods to review comments and why we store all removed comments in the archive.

No one is going to like every moderator or their particular style of moderating. That's OK. That is why we have a team and not an individual, and when in doubt, the team will review all moderation. Hence why we have a moderators group... it is to prevent what you see as a potential problem.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

I think he was joking Perrie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I'm not so sure.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

I can assure you LR that is not the case at all. That is not the way it is done. There are a set of rules and you know you can say just about anything you want to say and get by with it. Remember it is "Speak Your Mind" and Jerry, you or I can speak our minds pretty much anyway we want as long as we stay within the limits of the rules

You can always request a review of any comment anytime. Jerry's comment is his opinion, nothing more. Your point is valid and so is his. Of course his is right. LOL just kidding.

We just use the rules and there are no gray areas.

Code of Conduct:

Promise, that will never happen.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

That's not true Jerry. I wouldn't have moved you up if you were not ready.

6 months ago I couldn't even spell moderator, now I are one.26.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Does that get rid of B.O.?

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

Just so you know,...my comment has nothing to do with my like or dis like for Jerry,...I have not formed an opinion on that matter yet. when I do I will let him know with no uncertainty

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

So everyone knows...at no time did I, or would I ever question the integrity of NT, Perrie, or the Moderators here. I emailed Perrie and told her what I was doing and what my comment was about

I was teaching someone a lesson LoneRanger style and I now believe he is Lesson Learned....

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

So everyone knows...at no time did I, or would I ever question the integrity of NT, Perrie, or the Moderators here. I emailed Perrie and told her what I was doing and what my comment was about

So everybody knows, this is what LR is sodesperatelytrying to cover his about;

On another thread during a discussion about some crazy bill they are trying to pass in Kansas, I said;

"If you think a police officer, his peers and his commanders won't lie to cover an allegation of abuse, you're sadly mistaken. This bill is designed solely to intimidate victims of police abuse from filing complaints."

So the Lone Ranger' posted this comment ;

Lets look at this in another light......You are a moderator (cop) here on NT. A member sends in a complaint about you. Its investigated by the other moderators (cops) here on NT. So according to your staement that I quoted you saying you are telling us the person making the complaint against you doesn't stand a chance because the other moderators will automatically find in your favor because you are a moderator too.

and my response was (in part);

Whatever.

Ya know LR, that comment is so fucking ridicules it barely warrants a response, other than to question why you feel is fair to question the integrity of everyone on the moderating teamand theintegrity of Perrie Halpern, who oversees the team, simply because you have a problem with me.

If you have problems with me, address them tome,and leave the rest of the moderators out of it.

He also made this comment questioning theintegrityof the moderating team.

Now he's is scrambling to cover his ass.

I know this "Lone Ranger" guy, I know his reputation and I don't want to deal with him any more.

You guys can take it from here.

I'm done.

( he's "teaching me a lesson" ... can you believe that shit?! )

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I know his reputation

You seem to know quite a few "reputations" and all of them are those opposed to your fool political leanings .
The concept of objectivity seems to escape you at every turn ... and that's why LR is correct about your abilities as a moderator . The 1st requirement should be objectivity . If you don't have that you are not suitable ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OK the intent of this article wasn't a slam fest. You guys can take that into Heated Discussions. It was to clarify what the mods do and don't do here. Let's stay on topic.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

the intent of this article wasn't a slam fest.

I agree . Now why don't you inform your "moderator" not to cast aspersions against someone's "reputation" ?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

It was to clarify what the mods do and don't do here. Let's stay on topic.

One of the things you didn't mention that Mods do is, take a lot of crap from the peanut gallery.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

One of the things you didn't mention that Mods do is, they take a lot of crap from the peanut gallery.

They do . And most of them take it with a lot more objectivity than you do JV .

Pedro
Professor Participates

Man, this has gotten a bit out of hand.

I think the certainties are: being a moderator doesnt preclude heated exchanges....it only precludes them once they are moderating a conversation (which is why we are no longer allowed to participate in that conversation once taking on the role of moderator on any given article).

Outside of that, it's always a good idea to avoid getting personal, although sometimes, it does in fact happen. That is why we have several moderators. That way, there is always somebody who can remain objective.

To me, that's really all there is to it when you really break it down. A moderator, when moderating has a duty to be unemotional, simply look at the facts, and try to use their best judgement to provide the most fair moderation possible. All past interaction with the participants need to be forgotten once you are moderating, and only the current issue at hand should be looked at. If however, there is a clear repeat offender, something that always requires more than one moderator to determine, then further action is take.

It doesnt need to be heavy handed, doesnt need to be all pervasive...it just needs to be consistent and fair. What more really needs to be said about it?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Ditto is Alt0198 !

Very well stated.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    10 years ago

" I will be forced to literally, moderate the article about moderators."

How can you do that?

The article says."No mod can moderate in an article they have participating in, as it would be a conflict of interest."

You've alreadyparticipated in this article.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

Query:....Yikes! I have a reputation...if I have a reputation does that make me an attention whore? and if I'm an attention whore can I charge .25 for each comment? Of course that .25 would have to be in cash only no checks or credit....24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think that the mods do a good job. Yeah, guys, and I appreciate exactly how difficult it is to be a mod. Right now, it's not a job that I need... So, folks, GOOD JOB!!!

You can't please everyone, all the time and there are many people that you can't please any of the time. So, despite all the ruckus, you're handling it very well.

Thanks! Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Mike's singular comment didn't constitute participation. He was also the only mod online, and I couldn't moderate.

As for the level of moderation, if people feel that they want more, I am very open to discuss this. This site has always belonged to the members, and if they are unhappy about something, we should discuss this. But at the present, moderation here is no different than it was on the vine. You must report to get a mod to take a look. And no one is a snitch. Everyone here has the right to moderation if they want it, with the only exception of "Heated Discussions", and even there, there are limitations... i.e. death threats.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

The Hipocriticalsnitchopotumus has saved you many a times from the hungry wolves.

BF,

If you are referring to me or the other mods protecting John in any way, you are way off base. He never reports. Which has lead to even worse altercations. I would prefer if people reported as they did with a vengeance at NV, but they just don't do it here. And since the community at large sets the tone, I just follow what they want.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I'm in the best position to moderate this article,

No offence intended Mike, but I disagree with that contention.

This is Perries' article, and she has already done some moderating here, because of that and because she oversees the moderating team, I think she is in the best position to moderate this thread.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Jerry,

Actually I can't. It's my article and it would be a conflict of interest if I did. Mike or any of the other mods, if they were on and hadn't said much here, can.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Actually I can't. It's my article and it would be a conflict of interest if I did. Mike or any of the other mods, if they were on and hadn't said much here, can.

And this is why we need author moderation. And that, as they say, is MY opinion. Grin.gif

The fact that you fail to recognize what Perrie said, Jerry,is why you are not perceived to be a good moderator by many here.....

Kavika
Professor Principal

OK, a 30 second time out, while the ''Mod Squad'' changes into their new NTuniforms. Self preservation is the order of the day.Smile.gif

koblenz-marksburg-castle-suit-armour.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL Special K

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Perrie,

I'm not sure I agree, but that's fine. I just figured, although Mike is probably the moderator on the team, technicality all mods are on an equal status, and because it seem all mods have commented here, including Mike, I thought the moderation should defer to you because you oversee the team.

I recalled you making a comment re; getting back on topic, and I thought it was in purple pen, but it's not, so I stand down, and I have no problem with Mike moderating the thread.

Just tryin' to suppress controversy, it's your show Mike.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Being a mod makes it feel like we actually need that armor, ......... for protection.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    10 years ago

Mike did not post only two comments as claimed here. If you go back to Saturday on this article he posted three comments on Saturday alone. How many comments does it take before one is considered to be participating in an article?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Dean and BF,

Then the bad is on me and not on Mike. I asked him to intervene, since I couldn't and he comments so much that he didn't remember. But answer me this. Would the outcome have been any different, with another mod. I had asked to get back on topic and yet that didn't happen. My only other choice would have been to shut it down. He made a general comment about my request without there being a consequence. But if you guys feel that there was an impropriety, I will delete the comment and get a mod who was not involved to moderate. But don't put this on Mike... it was my bad, as lead mod.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

BF,

You know that is a good idea about a backup moderator... but I have someone else in mind.

You, since you have some insight on behavior.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I am volunteering to be a back up moderator.

I'll bring an even handed approach,matched by a hot temper, and an willingness not to listen to facts. I don't need no ''stinkin facts'', is my motto.

I'll also enforce equality...Women can do no wrong, you others, well tough shit.

In the words of the great jurist, Judge Roy Bean, ''Hang'em High''.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Not to hurt anyone's feelings , but who cares?

John, apparently you have missed how many people care. Yours was an idea I contemplated, but what Mike pointed out to me when we were discussing it, was that by closing down the article, you are actually giving some folks exactly what they want.

Hence the decision to make the very general comment.

BTW I don't resent this discussion in the least, since it is on topic and not personal. NT functions because the groups members feedback actually does matter.

Pedro
Professor Participates

You guys can message me if that happens. I'm not on that often, but I am generally available to moderate any thread unless I'm actually at work at the time.

Dont hesitate to do so.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Attention whores... OMG at 25 cents a comment, I'd be in the poor house!

Tsula
Freshman Silent
link   Tsula    10 years ago

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Dowser..

You just reminded me of a great song!

Well, it's all right now,

You see I've learned my lesson well,

You can't please everyone,

So you might as well please yourself.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OMG... Have tomahawk will travel....

BTW....Kavika,

Robert G's name on NV was Judge Roy Bean.

wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Oh man... I have to fix that!

4572_discussions.jpg

Much better!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks is Alt0198 . Very kind of you! I think I will take you up on it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yes we are Mike!

One big dysfunctional family. In fact, we put the fun into dysfunctional!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I wish I did... but I also don't remember where I heard it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Being a mod makes it feel like we actually need that armor, ......... for protection.

Jerry, that might hurt your date!

Kavika
Professor Principal

4573_discussions.jpg Palladin got nothing on me...Have Tomahawk will travel.

Hoka Hey...Herecome da judge...

Kavika
Professor Principal

''So you might as well please yourself''.....OK, that's it...This is a family show, no more of that X rated stuff.

Kavika
Professor Principal

We're off topic!!!! I'm shocked Mike, shocked I tell you.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I love that song!

I've been looking up weird and unusual songs, (also old songs), and am in a much better humor! There is something about singing and dancing to "I Like Bananas 'Cause They Have No Bones" Smile.gif that just makes your heart lift... In fact, I'm missing music in my life, and am looking into buying a hurdy gurdy. It looks like not having taken piano lessons may be an advantage!

Altarwinds -- I'm looking at the Harmony one... Or the one with ALL the bells and whistles. (aka The Full Monty) See what you think!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Oooooo. You went there first! LOL!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well you just reminded me of another oldie but goodie!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Apparently, all hurdy gurdy people love this song, even though a hurdy gurdy isn't played in it! This song is credited with bringing hurdy gurdys back into more popular culture.

It sounds like a great instrument-- I don't think you need "the divine spark" in order to play it, enough to have fun, anyway! Note: I am uninterested in Gregorian chants, etc., but I think it could be used as a fiddle/dulcimer/bag pipe kind of thing.

I'm still looking into it, needless to say, but I may as well have something that I want to play with, for a change. My book/story is on hold until I can get this dratted report done... Once that is done, I can get out of technical writing and back into the fun, too. And there is the house to deal with, and all that mess...

I love you, Perrie! I've wanted to call, but my phone is at my mother's, (where I left it). Still not "all together", but getting my brain back, slowly. I was saving for a hurdy gurdy before Mama got sick, and now, I'm getting back on track. Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No worries Marsha. You have had a trauma and need time to get back on your feet. Well talk sometime in the future.

And play thathurdy gurdy!

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

wow,..you are so funny,. that will be .25 please

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

24.gif 24.gif ...these are extra....lol...24.gif 24.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

I'm rich I'm rich....OMG I am going to be rich.......another .25 please...24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Time Lord
Freshman Silent
link   Time Lord    10 years ago

My wife is 6 weeks post spinal surgery. It can be daunting and emotionally draining...I know. I certainly hope yer mum is doing well in her recovery and you have greater peace of mind M'Lady.

All the BEST to both of you!

TL