MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)

Are movies in theaters losing steam?

By:  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  •  Personal  •  2 weeks ago  •  29 comments

Are movies in theaters losing steam?
Waiting until the movie starts to eat your popcorn, hardest thing in the world.

Are we going to start seeing movie theaters fade away like the drive-in theater?

While yes, there are drive-in theaters sprinkled throughout the country, they're scarce, far fewer than decades ago. They've made a slight comeback with COVID and sit in movie theaters closing for a while. However, many companies have altered the release platform considerably. I watched a brand new movie on demand for $20, which is far less expensive than taking my family to the theater and quite frankly, we have better popcorn. Moreover, I can pause for restroom or smoke breaks; at theaters, not so much. I know there are people out there that have some imaginary NEED to see movies on some giant screen with Dolby digital surround sound vibrating every part of the body, but I'm not one of them. I know a lot of people like me that like the option of on demand brand new movies.

I enjoy not seeing a dozen previews or commercials before a movie starts. I enjoy being able to pause and reflect for a moment if necessary. I enjoy having the option of watching it again within the 48 hour timeframe if I want. I enjoy not having to pay $100 just to go see a movie (family of 5 tickets plus the cost of popcorn, snacks, and drinks). New movie on demand = $20 and available for 48 hours. Three large bowls of air-popped popcorn with toppings as we choose ≈ $1. A whole bag of assorted candy ≈ $5. A 2L of cola ≈ $2. So, for $70 + less money out of pocket, we can watch a brand new movie as a family. I don't know about you, but to me that's a hell of a deal.

What's your opinion on movie theaters vs. on-demand?

**NO POLITICS**

1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    2 weeks ago

By the way... Antebellum is a seriously twisted movie, but I highly enjoyed it.

2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    2 weeks ago

No thoughts on this subject?

Crickets....

2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2    2 weeks ago

I just don't like going to the movies so I have no real feelings on this. But if they do close down, I could think of a number of uses for a multiplex movie theater

devangelical
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    2 weeks ago

I stopped going to movies a few years ago. I got tired of threatening assholes that were using their cell phones during the movie.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    2 weeks ago

There's lots of things that empty movie theaters could be used for, absolutely. Thanks for commenting even though you don't really have any feelings on the subject. :)

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Yeah, that's pretty obnoxious.

2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

Let's talk about uses for empty movie theaters!

I got one...Indoor skateboard park. In Denver, you could even open up a dispensary in one and sell snacks like popcorn and soda.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.5  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

Not only in Denver... Michigan weed is legal too. ;)

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.6  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

Roller skating. I like roller skating and there's only ONE nearby skating rink. There's several places to ice skate, but not roller skate.

2.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.6    2 weeks ago

Another good idea! I haven't roller skated in years, but I used to be fairly decent at it. Never skated stoned, tho....

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.8  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.7    2 weeks ago
Never skated stoned, tho...

Me neither. Might be fun.

devangelical
2.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

back in the 70's there was an old theater in west denver called the oriental that ran films that had already run in the big theaters. management looked the other way when you fired up a fatty.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.10  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  devangelical @2.1.9    2 weeks ago

There's a couple theaters around here that have overlooked such activities for a long time.

2.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.10    2 weeks ago

I lit up a cigarette in a movie theater once.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.12  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.11    2 weeks ago

Me too... in the "ghetto" theater. I figured if there were several people lighting up blunts, I could have a cigarette. :D

Vic Eldred
3  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

I think it would be a major loss if we were to lose a great form of entertainment. Everything you said in the article about seeing a new movie on the big screen is so true. It is a family thing, a dating thing and sometimes an escape. We start with getting dressed up, get our drinks and that delicious salted & buttered popcorn and when the lights are turned down low all our concerns vanish for about 90 minutes. They even improved on the seats. I hate to see it all go.

3.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

If it were less expensive, I would be all for keeping them. I have 5 people in my household though. At $10 a ticket, just the tickets alone are $50. Then the snacks, popcorn, and beverages are another $50-60! I can't afford that.

Vic Eldred
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1    2 weeks ago

They may have to drop the price of admission just to survive.

3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1    2 weeks ago

I could rent a bunch of movies from Red Box or On Demand for 50 bucks. And I make better popcorn than the theater does

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
3.1.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    2 weeks ago

Exactly.

devangelical
3.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    2 weeks ago

I haven't been to a movie theater in years. at home I like being able to hit pause when I need to tap a kidney.

when I first started going to the movies it was $0.75 for a seat, student discount. when I went to see Bonnie and Clyde in the 60's, my mom insisted on accompanying me because it was rated M for mature. we got our tickets, found our seats, and then I told her I was going to the restroom and ditched her to sit with my friends. going to the "show" on friday nights was a not to be missed weekly social function.

the best movie experience I ever had was when I went to a slasher type movie at a theater in a predominately black neighborhood my friend lived in about 40 years ago. audience members would offer verbal warnings to the actors on the screen. I laughed my ass off.

3.1.5  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @3.1.4    2 weeks ago

When I first went to the movies they were silent and cost 5 cents.

devangelical
3.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.1.5    2 weeks ago

that's stretching it a bit. if you would've said the were all black and white, everybody younger than us would've bought it.

3.1.7  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @3.1.6    2 weeks ago

LOL

3.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

Allow me to add that the ticket prices themselves... okay, $10 per person isn't horrible, but when the snacks are so insanely priced... I can't get past it.

Vic Eldred
3.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.2    2 weeks ago

Agreed.

evilgenius
3.3  evilgenius  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

I'm a big fan of seeing a Saturday or Sunday matinee. It was one of the few things I looked forward to. I'd love to see drive ins making a big comeback.

Vic Eldred
3.3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilgenius @3.3    2 weeks ago
I'd love to see drive ins making a big comeback.

Me too. Remember the ones that had two screens and two movies going?  That's when you'd take the kids to see "The Jungle Book" and you'd turn to them and discover they were watching "Slaughterhouse Five"

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
3.3.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  evilgenius @3.3    2 weeks ago
I'd love to see drive ins making a big comeback.

Me too.

There used to be a ton in my area!

And the only one that's left in southeast MI is in the ghetto.