East Texas Vinegar Based Bar-B-Q Sauce

By:  Raven Wing  •  7 months ago  •  9 comments

East Texas Vinegar Based Bar-B-Q Sauce

Leave a comment to auto-join group THE NEWSTALKERS COOKBOOK

THE NEWSTALKERS COOKBOOK

For those who don’t like sweet, thick BBQ sauce, the vinegar based BBQ sauce is the answer. The following recipe is one that my Father used for many years, and was our family favorite.

Makes approximately 1 quart.

Ingredients:

Place the following ingredients in a blender:

4    -  Cups vinegar (apple or wine vinegar works best)

2    -  Tbsp. garlic powder

2    -  Tbsp. onion powder

1    -  Tbsp. salt

2    -  Tbsp. paprika

1    -  Tbsp. black pepper (reg. grind)

1    -  Tbsp. smoke sauce

Juice of ½ lemon

Directions:

Set blender to “Blend” and run until ingredients are well mixed.

To marinate meat, poultry or fish overnight, put in a shallow glass dish, cover with plastic wrap (not foil) and refrigerate overnight. Save left over sauce from the dish used to marinate the meat and use to baste the meat each time you turn it over when cooking. After removing meat from grill or oven, baste again lightly with sauce before serving.

Enjoy this old, down-home, East Texas Bar-B-Q sauce on any type of meat, and on Venison or any wild game it is divine!  If using high heat, it is best to let the meat cook until it is about ½ done before putting too much sauce on the meat as it may tend to burn on the outside before the meat is fully done.  Medium heat is best and let the meat cook   s-l-o-w.

For large amounts of meat you can increase the amount of sauce, just make sure that you keep the same ratio of ingredients.

You can also make larger quantities of the sauce ahead and stored in the refrigerator in only glass or plastic containers sealed with a NON-METAL lid for periodic use at other times, and it will keep for some time if kept refrigerated. Take out only the amount of sauce you will use for each occasion.

NOTE:  DO NOT RETURN USED SAUCE TO ANY CONTAINER OF UNUSED SAUCE, AS THE USED SAUCE WILL BE CONTAMINATED AND SHOULD NOT BE USED MORE THAN ONE TIME!

Bon Appetite Ya’ll

1  Trout Giggles    7 months ago

I like a vinegary sauce better than I do a sweet sauce

Raven Wing
1.1  author  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    7 months ago
I like a vinegary sauce better than I do a sweet sauce

Same here. I have tried many different types of BBQ sauces, but, I like the vinegar based ones better. Sweet sauces just don't suit my taste buds that well. Nor those made with ketchup or tomato sauce, or any made with sugar. And most sweet sauces tend to burn/char when grilling.

I even use the vinegar based sauce when BBQ-ing in the oven. I use a medium heat when cooking BBQ either on the grill or in the oven. And wait until the meat is about half done before adding the sauce. This allows the meat fibers to open up and let the flavor of the sauce seep deeper into the meat.

sandy-2021492
1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    7 months ago

Me, too.  Most of the barbecue I've had around here is vinegary, and until I moved here, I wouldn't eat barbecue.  I thought I didn't like ut; I just hadn't tasted the right barbecue.

Raven Wing
1.2.1  author  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2    7 months ago

My Father got the recipe for this BBQ sauce from the then owner of the Big Apple restaurant in Ft. Worth TX back in the days he was a police officer in the Ft. Worth PD. The owner would not share the recipe with my Father, who ate at his place over the 15 years he ate there. Saying it was a family secret sauce.

My Father stopped in for lunch one day and found the place was closed, which had never happened before. He knocked on the door and the owner's Son answered. My Father asked why the place was closed and was invited in. The Son then told my Father that the owner had walked on the day before.

After a few minutes of catching up, the Son took out his wallet and handed a folder piece of paper with my Father's name on it had handed it to my Father. As he did so he told my Father that his Father had told him before he walked on to give the recipe for the BBQ sauce my Father had begged for over so many years to him. My Father was truly stunned that at a time like that the Son's Father would remember how much my Father wanted the recipe.

It has been in our family since 1956, and will be passed on to my Granddaughter for her family.  My Father and our family have stayed true to the recipe over all the years, and everyone who has ever tasted it has wanted the recipe.

1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.1    7 months ago

What a great story!

pat wilson
1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    7 months ago

Me too but this may need a touch of sugar or honey, just to balance the acid.

Raven Wing
1.3.1  author  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @1.3    7 months ago

Adding sugar to taste is not a problem. Honey may not work as well and can tend to make the sauce too gooey. Just remember that sugar will make the sauce more prone to char or burn in high heat. So best to cook the meat about halfway done before applying the sauce and use medium heat. It may take a bit longer but the results will likely be better.

Kathleen
2  Kathleen    7 months ago

Thank you, I don’t like the store bought sauces. I am having a cookout in a few weeks. I may use this recipe.

Raven Wing
2.1  author  Raven Wing  replied to  Kathleen @2    7 months ago

You're welcome. I hope you like the sauce. If you like a bit of an Oriental taste, add a tablespoon of Chinese type soy sauce to the recipe. It works well with chicken and pork.

Sparty On