Squawkin' Momma Blue Jay and Youngun'

By:  A. Macarthur  •  5 months ago  •  11 comments

Squawkin' Momma Blue Jay and Youngun'

Leave a comment to auto-join group CREATIVE ARTS ON THE NEWSTALKERS

CREATIVE ARTS ON THE NEWSTALKERS

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Find text within the comments Find

A. Macarthur
1  author  A. Macarthur    5 months ago

Parenting ain't easy!

1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    5 months ago

Two winning photos - a couple real home runs (LOL)

2  Kavika     5 months ago
Parenting ain't easy!

The understatement of the century...

Great photo.

3  Ender    5 months ago

Haha.   Nice.

I have a pair of Mockingbirds that are always in my yard.

A. Macarthur
4  author  A. Macarthur    5 months ago

I took these photos with an old "fast" lens but using a high ISO (2000); so while I was able to stop the movement, the overall effect is grainy and of poor color quality. If I can get closer to future subjects, go to the smallest lens aperture (2.8), and, have good lighting, I should get better results at ISO (i.e. 400).

Time will tell.

evilgenius
4.1  evilgenius  replied to  A. Macarthur @4    5 months ago

Since I only have the kit zoom for birds I tend to stick to ISO 800 at f/5.6. I get noise at 1600 and above on the Canon 80D. Of course that doesn't always work, but for the most part I get shutter speeds around 1/1000th of sec.

A. Macarthur
4.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  evilgenius @4.1    5 months ago

1/1000th of a second will "freeze" some flight and wing motion of birds, but 1/2000th (all else being equal, like ISO) is a more reliable minimum shutter speed. It's almost always a tradeoff, ambient light, aperture, ISO, trajectory of the moving subject … but get the shot and worry about the noise and blur after (which you never have to worry about if you don't take the shot).

Keep shooting!

Raven Wing
5  Raven Wing    5 months ago

Great photos Mac. Love the contrasts of the colors. Baby Blue seems impatient and Momma Blue is having none of it. (smile)

dave-2693993
6  dave-2693993    5 months ago

Mac, these are fantastic. We get our fair share of Bluejays here too.

Though Cardinals showing up now.

Haven't seen my Hawk for a couple years. Might have passed.

9  Trout Giggles    5 months ago

I finally got my hummingbird feeders up yesterday. I've been harassed by the same hummer for 2 weeks now.

A bluejay landed on one of the poles where I hang a feeder. The harassing hummer flew up next to him to see if the jay was stealing the hummer juice

Nona62
10  Nona62    5 months ago

Awesome shot Mac.  Blue Jays are one of my favorite birds...

Dulay