╌>

5 Stupid Questions and YOU May Know the Answer!

Category:  Other

Via:  dowser  •  11 years ago  •  14 comments

5 Stupid Questions and YOU May Know the Answer!

5479_discussions.png?width=350 Of late, I've been having more and more senior moments. Why, I don't know! Maybe stress? Maybe I need a break?

Saturday night, all the uniform moms for band got together for our annual get together, and had a wonderful time. I had nothing to drink but Vanilla Coke, and found myself utterly drunk-like. Tired? Maybe.

Anyway, Peep is going to the military ball next weekend with a sweet young woman from band. The girl friend that broke up with him in the middle of band season will be there, and we are both worried that she may cause a scene... So, talking with the hostess' daughter, who is also attending the ball, I asked her, "Would you keep an eye on Peep, so that the other young woman won't create a disturbance? He's trying to be nice to her, but she can't seem to get beyond this..."

The daughter said, "Well, you know she sells farms."

I thought, HUH ? "Sells farms?"

"No, sell farms."

I thought for a minute, and then asked, "Farms, as in pharmaceuticals, or as in land?"

She shook her head emphatically, "NO, sell farms!"

I thought for another minute and then it dawned on me-- "OH, you mean self harms!"

She nodded and said, "sell farms". We both started laughing and I said, "Golly, I'm an idiot! Please tell your mom, she'll get a kick out of this!"

The young woman cuts herself. She has a lot of emotional problems and while I am very sorry for her, and try to be good to her, she is not someone that Peep needs to deal with...

So, to continue-- Of late, there are just some things I can't seem to remember, or to figure out, and maybe all of you have the answers:

1. There was a movie that came out in the mid to late 60s. The opening of the movie was where a very handsome man was being drummed out of the French Foreign Legion. They pulled off his epaulets, his buttons, broke his sword, and threw him out into the desert without water. What is the name of that darn movie?
  2. My next stupid question, I can read/write a lot of words, but can't pronounce them. I just read where there were 100,000casualties on the first day of the Battle of Ypres in WWI. How do you pronounce Ypres? It's somewhere in France. Yerps? Yepray? I took German and it is no help at all. And I'm afraid to even try. I'm the one that pronounced the Pyrenees as the Great Pie-ree-neeze.For years.
  3. Is Leyte an island in the Philippines, or a city? Or both? All I can remember is Leyte Gulf, which was the scene of a huge battle in WWII, where Ziggy Sprague attacked the entire Japanese fleet with a couple of flat-top destroyers with 5" guns, and a bunch of PT boats. I've looked on maps, and they are not very clear...
  4. Does anyone know of a good online mapping program? I used to use Google Maps, but EGADS and little fishes, it has become impossible to use! I want something I can mark on, save, and print up. Does anyone use a good mapping program that is free on the internet?
  5. What are the differences between RGB and Gamma coloring in pictures? How come I can have a .jpg picture, and when I save it to .png it asks me to check the kinds of colors I want... I hate to be dumb, but I check them all and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've looked it up and after reading it several times, I'm no smarter about it than when I started. If someone could explain it to me in simple terms, maybe I can catch on...

Well, that's the end of the list for this week. Thank all of you for your help, understanding, and care!

Thank you!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    11 years ago

These little factoids have been bugging me for a few days, and I've had no "Eureka!" moments... Can y'all help, please?

Thanks so much! Grin.gif

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    11 years ago

I found the answer to one:

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I would have NEVER thought of that!!! Thank you, so very much!!! Now, I can say it!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

EE-pres. Who'd of thunk it? Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    11 years ago

#3 is easy with Google :

Leyte
Island
Leyte is an island in the Visayas group of the Philippines. Politically, the island is divided into two provinces: Leyte and Southern Leyte. Territorially, Southern Leyte Province includes the island of Panaon to its south.

And maybe that's her name too :

5480_discussions.jpg?width=721

#5 is complicated . R U sure you want the answer ?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you! That helps! I've been reading so much about the catastrophe in the Philippines and couldn't figure it out!

Well, if it's too complicated, never mind-- I'll have to wait for a time when my brain is working better...

Thanks!!! Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks a lot!!! I'll do just that, and maybe it will work better!!!

I don't think it was Lawrence of Arabia, but have no idea what else it could be... Typical!!

Much love to you and thank you! Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Uh, maybe... But it wasn't Chuck Conners, I don't think. I don't know who it was, but he had un-squinty eyes...

Maybe!!! Who knows! I can't seem to figure it out at all! We saw the movie at the drive-in.

Thank you for your help!!! Grin.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

I tried but can't find the right movie. Is there anything else to use as a point of reference, such as the name of an actor or director, a quotation? There are a lot of Foreign Legion movies but they start back in the 20s and exend up until recently.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

The only frame of reference I have is that it was a new movie out in the mid-late 1960's. The star was known, but not that well-known... I wish I could remember more, which is why I've been wanting to find it. He ended up being a hero, but I think he was killed, somehow.

I remember that the star's career was supposed to take off, and never really did... Thanks for looking, because I can't find it either! I was hoping that someone would remember seeing it! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I will, I promise!!! Smile.gif