╌>

META: New Moderation Procedures and Clarification about Moderation.

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 years ago  •  34 comments

META: New Moderation Procedures and Clarification about Moderation.

Hello Everyone!

First, I would like to clarify a common misconception about moderation on this site. Being a moderator is a hard and thankless position and I thank those who volunteer for it. That being said, moderators are also members here on the site. The rule for moderators is very simple. You can not moderate in an article that you have written or that you have already made a comment in. It is a conflict of interest. You must call in for another moderator, if there is an issue. Other than that, a mod is just a member and they can behave like any other member and will be subject to moderation themselves. There is no special privileges given to moderators. If they misbehave, they will get cited, too.

Now, on to new procedures with moderation. After months of using the "Report an issue/abuse tab, we have found that people are confused and don't know where to report. To solve this problem, I have taken some steps. First, "Report and Issue/Abuse" will now be just "Report an Issue". Please use this tab ONLY for technicalissues and not for moderation. You can also write Mac and me about tech issues by email.

There are still multiple ways to contact a mod.

• First, what is new. On the left side of the homepage of NT you see a list of the moderators. Their names are now hyperlinks to their personal page. There you can "Leave a message" for a mod. You can chose any mod that you feel comfortable with. Please note: Make sure that you are "Friends" with them, or you will not be able to do this.
  • You can contact a mod by the chat function.
  • You can contact a mod by email. Again, you must be "Friends" to do it by this method.

Please remember when reporting that you include the link to the comment that is at issue. To get the link, put your cursor over the yellow chain at the top of the comment and right click, then chose "copy link" and then paste it into your message, email or chat box.

I hope this clarifies the methods of getting a moderator. We try our best to get to issues as soon as possible and always within the day, every day.

I will be off site because of a personal situation for about the next two weeks. I will be checking in daily, but I will not be as available as usual. Mac will be covering during this time.

Perrie~

Cross posted to the NT Community Group

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

I liked your old one better... it was so you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Don't forget the beer.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    11 years ago

Here's a little something to get them started...Beer Frau

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I hope that all goes well for you, Perrie!

Thanks for the article!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    11 years ago

109.gif 118.gif 25.gif

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, Perrie. Good luck with everything.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yeah me too. Thanks for your kind words.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You can go to Dowser... but Mac is very fair and honorable as a mod. He'll be nice to you...I promise or I will have to beat him up!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Chloe. I try to keep the community in the loop as much as possible.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    11 years ago

Here was his old avatar ... want it ?

5913_discussions.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

An abused Badfish! Could it be because you are a Badfish?Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi Soul,

Just make sure that you get Mac on your friend list...

All you need is one mod.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     11 years ago

flame? you sure those are blue balls and not a banana hammock in a blue hue?

Perrie , enjoy your 2 weeks away from herding chickens and cats at the same time if you can .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Your screen name fits ...

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

mediocrity is average, by definition

I think we should have a button that says Report Dissension that takes you to a page with a 500lb woman pulling her panties up....

Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Mark! I will be checking in to see if anyone really strips!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Raven Wing,

Those should scare the pants off of any guy! (which by the looks of that, they should make a concerted effort to keep on!)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Ummm..... souls, don't you think you are making much over just keeping the report an issue tab for tech issues? That and making it easier to get in touch with the mods.

If society is based on that, we are all in bad shape.

Anywho... ...

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

Soul's Prison, I catch your sarcasm most of the time, and it's pretty good, usually.

I gathered the reporting change is to help Perrie [Mrs. Santa] and the elves Grin.gif in 'sorting' the issues; that way when they answer the button calls, it will go to a techie, instead of an ...umm... [be nice now] ... helper . (just being silly, honest!!)

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    11 years ago

1 - Mods should be totally anonymous.

2 - Mods should not post on the forums.

This is starting to become the norm on many sites.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think you're going to have to realize that this site is set up as it is, for a reason. It is community driven, and the mods are also a part of the community.

There are always a slew of articles I can't comment on, because I may be called in to moderate. That's a part of the job. So be it.

Perrie has done a fantastic job in setting this up and keeping it working! We forget that she is UNPAID for all her time and efforts, and should be highly praised for all her hard work!

Speaking solely as a member, if you don't like the way this is set up, or the kinds of articles posted, or how it is organized, it may be best for you to go elsewhere to a site that suits you better.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

For Pete's Sake! It's just a button on a web site. It's not the end of the world!

Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

That seems a little extreme ! How about just adding a purple halo to your current 'tar ?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That's right, John, suggestions may either be rejected or accepted! All of us make suggestions, whether they are accepted or not! Even me, as a member!

I'm not saying to love it or leave it-- or I didn't mean to sound that way, if it did, and reading it, I guess it did. But, there is a difference between constructive criticism and criticism as a way of blowing off steam. Also, I was speaking as a member, not a mod, as noted above. In no way did my comment in any way reflect as a comment from the management of NT.

There are reasons why things are set up the way they are. Either deal with it, or don't. Once you've voiced your opinion, you've voiced your thoughts. All of us can either accept things as the way they are, or not.

While all of us enjoy this web site, it is just that, a web site. Sometimes, we may learn something to help us. Sometimes, we don't. Sometimes, we can share what we know and learn to help other people and sometimes, we can't. We all have an opinion, and it is a valuable one. But this isn't life or death, by any means. Nor should it be.

I respect Perrie's judgments and value her thoughts on why she set it up the way she did.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Love it!!! I need to change my avatar anyway. Smile.gif

Cletus Wilbury
Freshman Silent
link   Cletus Wilbury    11 years ago

I'm new and would like to say you guys are doing a great job.

why do I say that? Because I haven't seen you, or seen any need.

Thank you.

Cletus Wilbury
Freshman Silent
link   Cletus Wilbury    11 years ago

Oh, ok.

It seems pretty mellow right now, compared to some other places.

AmericanDreamsShattered
Freshman Silent
link   AmericanDreamsShattered    11 years ago

good god beertender get me a bar! oh my bad, bartender get me a beer! shuffles off to an enlightened corner...........