╌>

Baltimore Neighborhoods Look To Private Security

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  11 years ago  •  13 comments

Baltimore Neighborhoods Look To Private Security

Street Crimes Committed Escalate

Updated: Thursday, August 15 2013, 07:05 PM EDT

As the number of street crimes committed in Baltimore City escalates, so does the level of fear. This has caused communities to look beyond the police for protection.

In Baltimore City there are four special tax districts where residents pay more to make their neighborhoods safer. Charles Village is one of them and has the lowest surtax of the four. It was formed in the mid-1990s as a way for the community to provide supplemental security and sanitation services to what the city was already providing. The surtax charged to homeowners has never been altered.

Baltimores Little Italy community is one of the latest to seek to hire its own private security force, following the recent beating and robbery caught on a private security camera .

The added layer of security is an effective one, City Councilman James Kraft says.

We've had this effort undertaken in Greektown. We've talked about it in Highlandtown and we've done it during St. Patricks Day at ODonnell square. It works - it's proven and we want to implement it where ever we can," Kraft said.

Oftentimes its the same people being paid to keep the community safe.

We have a program that allows us to hire off duty police officers and it allows us to get officers in neighborhoods where we have greater concerns, Kraft said.

http://www.foxbaltimore.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/baltimore-neighborhoods-look-private-security-21733.shtml

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick    11 years ago

Seems to becoming popular.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

That's correct. The Oakland was the next one I was looking at. I couldn't get the article to accept the link copy/paste. Had to restart and save link in Word. Fixing to put it in now.

Seems there may be some dummies in the states who have slack gun laws killing each other from mostly their ignorance, but the cities and states that have the most stringent gun laws have the most crimes committed with guns.

Here's something from "Obama's Patchwork".

"Liberals With Guns!"

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

I didn't know this has always happened - sort of like overtime pay, in a way, for the LE (law enforcement) ?

It would seem to be a good idea - or do you have an underlying point ? (intentional to push the idea of a 'police state' ? - Just asking, not assuming:)

Chloe
Freshman Silent

I would say that's exactly what has happened in this state (at least the western half, anyway). ...Except, the liberal leadership doesn't understand or ignores the concept of 'broke' - she runs the state similar to how Obama runs the country.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

No my point isn't a police state Chloe. The fact is money is short because of no real productive policies being implemented. We can blame it on the Republicans or the Democrats. One will blame the other, but the fact is both are at fault.

And we're at fault as well for hiring leaders instead of representatives and being so complacent as to barely be waking up to this realization at this time. They say if you never pull back on a horse's reins, when you do he/she will not slow down or recognize what it should mean to him/her.

Notice the locations who are the first on the block to hire this security. They are also the first to take your guns and the ones most likely to not recognize or have much of an idea of what the future holds. So in that, I guess police state does have a place in our future.

You saw that and I was just posting the article without much thought, actually.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

First of all Royal.... It's Sixpick not Sixpack. And that comment was not meant to offend anyone.

People these days seem to pull off the dumbest things like shoot their child while putting their gun in the back of their vehicle. I just hate it when that happens, because it is so stupid to not know how to handle a gun.

If you own one, you should treat it like it is loaded all the time and never ever point it in a direction where it could directly or indirectly shoot someone.

I'm for supporting people continuing the right to own guns, but I'm also aware I don't want to be anywhere near people like I've described above.

Hope that answer is satisfactory to you.

Chloe
Freshman Silent

The fact is money is short because of no real productive policies being implemented.

I have read and thought about that in the past, and the *speculations* as to 'why.' Most of them usually are blaming the Republicans and Commercial Banks hoarding because the interest rate is too low for them to make the profits they want. Then with the other side saying it's to redistribute the wealth to the government and programs. But, I can see it would be a combination of both.

Notice the locations who are the first on the block to hire this security. They are also the first to take your guns and the ones most likely to not recognize or have much of an idea of what the future holds.

I had not thought of that. Thank you for pointing that out.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

No problem to me RL. I knew I had not expressed what I meant very well. It just doesn't help our cause when people don't show some common sense when using guns. If we want our guns we're going to have to make sure the idiots don't have them.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Wave of street violence shakes Baltimore

About 40 people shot and 16 killed in less than two weeks

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    11 years ago

Yeah, but this is California.

JoAnne Odel
Freshman Silent
link   JoAnne Odel    11 years ago

baltimore is a pig pen, with open drug sales in broad daylight commonplace.

like philly, it will soon follow detroit as a shining example of not only the result, but the goal of liberal legislatures and redistributionism.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    11 years ago

True. Unfortunately we do have some friends out there. Maybe they'll be able to escape inland.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

Seems like American is becoming an armed camp. But one must do everything to protect themselves, and their families.