╌>

Chocolate Biscotti with Berry Filling

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  broliver-thesquirrel-stagnasty  •  11 years ago  •  7 comments

Chocolate Biscotti with Berry Filling

Chocolate Biscotti with Berry Filling, YummmmmmmmmY!

6653_discussions.jpg?width=300

I came in from mowing and taking photographs, and gosh darn it, I was hungry! Opened up the fridge, nothing in there that I wanted, nothing in the cupboards looked good.... I got this small bag of blackberries out of the freezer this morning... Hmmmmmm, I think I will bake something!

Several Years ago I was in a similar situation and was perusing the pages of the Joy of Cooking . After noting several recipes in the biscuit and short bread/quick bread category I closed the cookbook and went into creation mode. About an hour later I was munching on this delectable stuff and thought that I had better right down the recipe for future reference. So, I got my book that I write stuff down in and imortalized it for future generations, or until the book falls apart, whichever comes first.

Fast forward back to the present (well, OK... recent past, now), I get my book out and open to the page where my recipe is. I read down through it, and decide that once again I will modify theingredients because, though it was delicious, there was quite a bit of bread relative to the amount of berry. So, I quick ran through the list ofingredientsand made the modifications. The result I give you now. (Allmeasurementsare approximate.)

1 Cup Berries

1-1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp salt
1 heaping Tbsp Baking Powder
2 -3 Tbsp Cocoa
3/4 stick butter

2 large Eggs
Scant 1/2 cup yogurt
2 Tbsp sugar
1Tbsp Vanilla

I used frozen blackberries, drained, not because that is what i wanted but because the bag leaked and I had had it sitting in the dish pan (Dammit! I like the juice!). If they are fresh berries, prepare them ahead of time by mixing in a couple of tsp of sugar and setting them in the fridge for about an hour or two to get nice and juicy, or you can beat them to a pulp. I don't care, it's you that has to eat it. I just prefer my berries whole. If you really want to, you can just use a jelly or a jam and not have to worry about this step at all.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa together, then cut in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs with a few small pea sized fragments. I hadn't realized how much I missed my pastry blender until I got it back. Using two knives is really for the birds, but I digress.

Beat the eggs, then add the yogurt, vanilla and sugar and whisk or beat until frothy. Now if you are really hungry, you can stop right there, and drink that mixture, because it is pretty tasty, but then you would have to make it all over again. What the hell, it is easy!

Combine the liquid with the dryingredientsand fold together. after the wet and the dry have been folded together, you might need to add a bit more flour to keep it from sticking to you as you handle it. Don't mix it in that much, just have some excess flour handy so you don't turn into the chocolate man. Turn the mixture out onto a floured board and form it into a ball, then chop this ball in two and stick both in the freezer for several minutes to let them rest and firm up a bit.

At this point you are probably asking yourself, "I thought he said he was hungry when he came into the house?" and you would be, of course, correct. But thee thrill of discovery was upon me! Also at this point, you had ought to be getting your oven heating to 400 degrees and take out and grease something big enough to hold an 8 x 10 piece of dough. A cookie sheet works fine.

Take one dough ball out of the freezer and roll it to approximately 8x10 (roll it till it is about a quarter of an inch thick). Transfer the rolled dough to the center of the pan, then spread the berry mixture on it, leaving about an inch around the edge. Then take the other dough ball and roll it out and place it over the berry layer, tucking the ends together in under the outside edge.

Place on middle rack and bake for 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then slice into 1 inch segments, turning them on their sides on the cookie sheet or justseparatethem enough so the air can get between them. (If you want, you can just leave them out to cool, they are god this way also.) Place in the over for an additional 6 minutes, then remove from the oven and place theBiscotti on wire racks to cool. You can top them with a glaze, but that is just too much sugar for me. Some dark chocolate melted might make a really yummy way to top them.... Hmmm Have to try that.

There you go! Have Fun!

Here is another picture.

6654_discussions.jpg?width=750

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    11 years ago

bookmarked, thank you !

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

You are more than Welcome!

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    11 years ago

Excellent, Brolly and thank you! I have to say Joy of Cooking is my ultimate cooking reference. It was the first cookbook I invested in when I first got into experimenting with different types of food and ingredients. I am delighted to see you create something so delectable......yummmmmmmmmm! All I need is my cuppa coffee to go with it. Think you can mail me some of the biscotti?Frown.gif

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

I could, but I don't think that it would be very fresh when I sent it to "Neetu, you know the flower... on NT..."Smile.gif

Yes, TJoC is a good place to start, ,just to see what exists and works already.

Thank you for stopping by!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

You must have read my mind! I was thinking about making biscotti and needed a good recipe. Now I have one. Thanks BrollyGrin.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

Oh, these look really yummy - and with coffee!!!! I bake tarts with various things in them, usually apple. Now you have me wanting things I shouldn't probably have. I am watching my figure, you know.

These leftist leaning articles just have to stop.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    11 years ago

Oh, Brolly is watching his figure too, Grump - look, he replaced the half and half with yogurt!