╌>

5 Famous People You Won’t Believe Didn’t Exist

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  11 years ago  •  12 comments

5 Famous People You Won’t Believe Didn’t Exist

5 Famous People You Wont Believe Didnt Exist

By: Kelly Stone May 06, 2013 Cracked.com

6758_discussions.jpg Have you ever heard a speaker or boss quote some profound saying from Sun Tzu's The Art of War? Did you know there's a good chance that the wise philosopher who wrote that book never actually existed?

He's hardly alone -- lots of figures from history and pop culture are the product of either some marketing campaign or just bad record keeping.

Either way, centuries from now, people will probably still think that at one time there was a person named ...

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20408_5-famous-people-you-wont-believe-didnt-exist.html#ixzz2SZ33QTP5

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

I learned touch-typing in high school, and have to admit that I thought Mavis Beacon was a real person.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

I thought that Tokyo Rose was real. Dang!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

At least we know that Hanoi Jane was real.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

That's REALLY interesting, Buzz! Thanks for the article!

I can add one more to the list-- Merlin. Historians now think that Merlin was the name given to several people who had studied and knew things that many regular people didn't... One person named Merlin may have existed, but all the stories were about the achievements of several people. Interesting, isn't it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table were fictional, and that would include Merlin.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

No, there really was a King Arthur-- the legends that were written 2 centuries after him, were about a real king. They have evidence of the battles he fought with the Saxons, and archaeological evidence that Camelot, (Caer Camel), really did exist. Smile.gif

As more and more archaeological digs are made, they keep finding things that match many of the facts behind the legends... Consensus at this time, is that he was a real king-- that briefly united the fiefdoms to fight off the Saxons.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

As the late Paul Harvey used to say, "And here's the rest of the story". I think that before passing judgment on the Tokyo Rose issue, this should be read:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Do you think they might find out that Robin Hood was real as well? Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I don't know, but it surely would be neat, if it was!

They are doing so many digs in England now-- what a wonderful place to live and be able to visit those sites!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It's not just in England. There have been incredible recent finds during my lifetime in other countries such as Israel, and right here in China as well, where the history is many thousands of years old. I'm thinking of things like the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the Terra Cotta Warriors.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    11 years ago

29.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

My brother's best friend when he was young was Roy Crocker. Maybe his mother was called Betty.