╌>

The Forum: Facts and Gaming the System

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 years ago  •  28 comments

The Forum: Facts and Gaming the System

I really didn't want to do another meta article, but since there seems to be lots of misunderstanding about how the site works I figured I would go over why I have tried this change.

First note: there will be a vote after 1 week of trying this new system. As always, this site is a democracy.

With the use of the old board, I had grown to notice a type of gaming the system. When something had fallen off the board, and the author wanted it back onto the board, all they had to do was make a comment and boom! right to the top where everyone would notice it. It would also push newer articles off the board. If those articles hadn't gained any traction on the board ( not a hot button subject) they would just slide off. This would go on over and over during the course of the day. The outcome, is that we had articles on the board, some of the 3 weeks old. That isn't good for a "News" site. At least our articles should be current.

On NV, an article had a 24 hour cycle and then it was gone. The way you would find it is with the now gone, tracker. But wait! We have not one way to track, but two. Yes, you can use your comments to track, but also at the bottom of every article, is a follow this article button. If you really love the article, if you click on that, it will send you an email notification of when ANY comment is made, so actually, it makes following an article a breeze whether it is on the board or not. If you want to stop following that article, then all you have to do is click "stop following" on the email and you are done.

And don't forget about the tabs. You can find the most recent articles for that topic, much like at NV.

Now why not try following an article with the email system. See how you like it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I'm all for giving this a real try! Let's see how it works! Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

Thanks Dowser! I am hoping that people will keep an open mind. And no matter what, there will be a vote.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Don't I know.106.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That is correct John!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Just for you!

I know, I know... Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It would be much easier to put in a COC rule preventing it.

How? The author can say that they are just responding to posts. Also it would requiremonitoringall article all the time, and that isn't going to happen.

As for emails, it shouldn't be so bad if you are tracking just a few articles. And there is always doing it by following your discussions here.

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

Perrie, I think I will like this a lot better, personally. I felt that every time a comment was made--putting the article at the top, was too repetitive; and as you also pointed out, it was pushing more current events--if applicable--down lower. By "tags," do you mean Categories, or other? If different, where are the tags listed?

Chloe
Freshman Silent

I see the list of Categories when we post an article/seed, but I didn't see tags (I don't think?), but I should go back and look again.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

tags are just under the category, dear CL. You imput them by saying something like, "movie-contest", and it will show up movie-contest. Leaving out the dash, it would post as movie; contest;

See? Try again, and I know you'll find it! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Of late, no matter how hard I try with my movie articles, I'm lucky to get 4-5. so, no one likes movies... Maybe I need to offer a prize? cold hard cash?

LOL! Smile.gif

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Oh, it sounds like you are saying we make them up? There is no list?

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Mike, Thank you.

Weren't there a list of tags on NV that weren't the same as the Categories/Headings? Maybe I'm dreaming, but I thought there were some. I just didn't use any before, or very often, but that's why I was looking for a 'list,' it never occurred to me that I would have to make-up my own...but I will do that.

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Thank you, John.

Mike L. once pointed out the drop-downs to me, but I had not noticed the "latest activity" selection. That's a nice feature in that spot!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

You DON'T suck!!! Not at all!!!

I think what I'll do is ask people to email me, keep up with the points, and then award prizes! Maybe that would make it more interesting... But it will cut down on the responses, likely...

Can't cut it too much further, can it? Smile.gif

Chloe
Freshman Silent

The more tags you create relevant to subject matter,the more exposure your article gets when searched by topics.

Question: Yet, if they aren't tags that are on a list, how will others 'necessarily' know to search under a specific tag, if everyone is making up their own? Some categories, as you used as an example, "dogs," that might be easier to 'assume' someone used it as a tag, but my mind can't wrap around the fact that what I might be thinking as a tag, is always going to be what someone else would think of under that category.

In other words, if tags can logically be handled as an 'assumption' on everyone's part---then why not make Categories an assumption (which I would not want), but do you see my point ? ..I would think without order and organization in 'all' of the headings, people won't necessarily know where to look.

It's not that big of a deal to me, as I often didn't use any, tho,
EI was recently pointing out the significance to me, so I thought I would try to pay more attention to it in the future. Are the tags to attract just those right here, or are they hoping to attact off-site, as well ?

True, we could always add our own.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL I like it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well this last round, you had me Dowser. I can play if I know enough of the movies.

Now if it was Christopher Walken movies, I'd becruising!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Someone could ruin the old system too just post meaningless articles and keep updating them.

Can't do it on either system. It is a CoC violation.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

CL are you talking about something like a tag cloud? I could add something like that, but we had one on when we were on Grouply and no one used it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL!! I've been working on James Bond... I thought that would be one that most people would like, and might generate enough interest to be able to offer small prizes. Smile.gif

Chloe
Freshman Silent

CL are you talking about something like a tag cloud? I could add something like that, but we had one on when we were on Grouply and no one used it.

Perrie, no, I wasn't actually thinking of a tag cloud, but rather just having universal breakdown where everyone would know where else to look under besides a general heading, similar to NV, which was just a subset of categories, but it still helped break down an all-encompassing category; but you know? ...Self-tagging must be working out, gaining exposure for everyone, otherwise you would hear complaints, it seems.

I'll try the self-tagging, and other times I'll copy the internet tags into that space and watch to see if I see a difference. Doing that might generate more membership, since many of the tags go to organizational names. Smile.gif

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Dowser, me too, it's just not something I'm interested in or very good at. Nothing personal, but each person has to find their own niche, I guess. You and Buzz and a few others will have a good time, and that's great! I like some/certain movies, but I'm not much into turning them into games or trivia. I'm here more for the articles, and chat when they work...and to see nice people like you and others. Smile.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

Just wrote a long comment and forgot to save it so I could repost it by clicking "edit" when the article I wrote did not register. So, screw it, I'm not going to bother - besides nobody would care anyway.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Well, we all have to keep plugging away at something... Maybe if it was political, it would find it's own audience. Smile.gif

Machts nichts. All any of us can do is try. Smile.gif

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent
link   bitemore Gfotwo    11 years ago

I've been using the email tracking from the outset and it works very well for me. In fact, I'd be lost without it. If you are particularly active, you may want to set up a separate email account just for NT... but it is an excellent way of tracking anything you are following.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I love the new system-- Interesting articles stay up longer, until I can find the time to sneak over and read them! LOVELY!!!

Grin.gif

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

I like this new system; I'm having no problem following comments and the front page reflects more of "A News Social Network for Adults" type of vibe imho. Too bad we can't have a front page and a back page LOL!

:~)