╌>

What Painting Would You Love to Have

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  11 years ago  •  71 comments

What Painting Would You Love to Have

What Painting Would You Love to Have?

While going through all the articles I wrote and posted on Newsvine, I discovered this one. It was a poll, but here I hope to see your choice and reasons for it. I think taste in art can say a lot about the personality of people, but do not fear, Im not a psychiatrist (although in my youth I sort of wanted to be one, and in fact I spent my first year of university in pre-medicine, but changed my mind even though I really enjoyed lab sciences).

7072_discussions.jpg

The appreciation of fine art can be developed through an education of its history, a study of the techniques, or as I personally feel, its just a matter of what I enjoy looking at. What it boils down to at least in my case is a question of personal taste, which may be developed from ones culture and experience. Persons who are talented in the arts, painting, drawing, sculpture, may have different viewpoints than those who dont.

What I would like to know from you is which painting would you want to spend time looking at, hanging on your wall, not what you would have to pay to own the painting or the fame of the artist , but just the pleasure you would get from it. It has been said that a painting should be looked at for only a few seconds. I dont agree. A painting should make you want to stare at it for much longer than that, to seek out all of its secrets and hidden nuances. You should get to enjoy it even more over time. For me, looking at a painting is much like watching a movie. Every time I watch it, I see something new, something I missed the previous viewing.

Interestingly, my love for the work of a certain artist began not by seeing his works, but by reading the impressions of that artist by another. I was prompted to see his works from reading the essays of John Ruskin, an English author who wrote glowing accounts of the works of J. M. W. Turner, an Englishman known as a Romantic artist whose Impressionism preceded and was studied and imitated by the French Impressionists. When I then saw his works, they fascinated me. I was already prepared to appreciate them. I travelled to London and spent days looking at his works in the National and Tate Galleries (where most of his paintings are located). Whenever I went to a new city anywhere, one of my first visits was to the public art gallery to see if they had a Turner on display.

And of Turners works, I had a favourite, one of the ones I have posted with this article. Not only is the style ahead of its time, I consider the technique to be magnificent and not only that, it tells a story a picture worth a thousand words. I wasnt aware that it was also chosen in a poll taken by the BBC to be the English publics favourite painting The Fighting Temeraire. So look at the paintings I have posted, all different styles, all of which are in fact famous, and post a comment indicating your choice of one (one only please) that you would want to have hanging on your wall. If there is one that is your favourite that is not included here, then post a copy of it with your comment, rather than just a link. You can do that here on Newstalkers.

1. Whistler's Mother by James McNeill Whistler

Article Photo

2. Water Lillies by Claude Monet

Article Photo

3. View of Toledo by El Greco

Article Photo

4. The Scream by Edvard Munch

Article Photo

5. The Persistance of Memory by Salvador Dali

Article Photo

6. The Night Watch by Rembrandt Van Rijn

Article Photo

7. The Kiss by Gustav Klimt

Article Photo

8. The Jack Pine by Tom Thompson

Article Photo

9. The Fighting Temeraire by J.M.W.Turner

Article Photo

10. No. 5, 1948 by Jackson Pollock

Article Photo

11. Mother and Child by Norval Morrisseau

Article Photo

12. Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci

Article Photo

13. Guernica by Pablo Picasso

Article Photo

14. Girl With a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer

Article Photo

15. Dogs Playing Poker by C.M.Coolidge

Article Photo

16. City Terrace at Night by Vincent Van Gogh

Article Photo

17. Campbell's Soup Cans by Andy Warhol

Article Photo

18. Bal du Moulin di la Galette by Pierre-Auguste Renoire

Article Photo

19. American Gothic, by Grant Wood

Article Photo

20. A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of Grande Jette, by George Seurat

Article Photo

21. Chinese landscape art - artist unknown

7073_discussions.jpg

22. A painting in Tahiti by Paul Gauguin

7074_discussions.jpg There are so many more great artists and great works that I could spend all day adding to this list, so I guess I should stop here and see what you all have to say.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

Interesting. Your two choices contrast with each other. The first one is energy, speed, urgency, whereas the second is peace, tranquility, simplicity. My preference would be to be sitting on that white "Cape Cod" chair on the lawn, just watching the river flowing by.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

There are a great number of them. Which one do you mean?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

I have favorite artists.

Rene Magritte

tumblr_m4jhy66d4F1qefhx1o1_1280.jpg

Time Transfixed

1348096574.jpg

The Empire of Light.

Rene Margritte belonged to a movement called Dadaist. Although many would call him a surrealist, his objective was to get people to see the world in a different way. To challenge perception. Hence his very famous:

The-Treachery-of-Images-by-Rene-Magritte.jpg

The Treachery of Images

It says: This is not a pipe. Yet clearly it is.. or is it? What it's actually is a painting of pipe and therefore not a pipe. He is often referred to as the father of pop art, which he would havescoffedat, even though he was a commercial artist to support him and Georgette. But to understand the effect he had on our culture, just compare these two pictures.

Magritte_Artwork_ml0004.jpg

The False Mirror

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxbHTU0ctndSFEaVT5QSBAXkWzVUxzEqveorpr0CeTLqd0Gzbx

I will be back with more....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

We'll put another chair next to that one them. Make sure you bring your fishing equipment.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Awww Randy,

You stole two of mine. You have good taste.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Himself, Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The train exiting the fireplace is fun, the Empire of Light is awfully dark but I suppose it should be. I tried to make it a bit brighter, but it didn't change much:

7075_discussions.jpg I only see one CBS image.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

No problem seeing the Van Gogh, but where I am I cannot open youtube.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

When I was Bar-Mitzvahed my uncle gave me a big coffee-table book of the works of Van Gogh. He was probably the first real artist I got to know about.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
link   luther28    11 years ago

Van Gough's Starry Night.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Au contraire, Augur Well, the posting is perfect. I don't believe I've seen that painting before - it's magnificent.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It was a toss-up to post Starry Night or the one I did post.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Yeah, they don't look particularly friendly.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Thank you Suz, that's a lovely compliment.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I've always loved Monet's water lillies... Either that or this one of Daniel Boone in the Wilderness:

7077_discussions.png?width=721

I really like the Hudson School of paintings... As well as Monet, and more historical kinds of paintings... I like things that look like real paintings or ARE real paintings. Some of my most treasured possessions are the paintings painted by my great-grandmother in the 1870s. Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yes, I love that painting, too! Smile.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

That Daniel Boone painting is the kind that you can look at for hours and rather than making you tired, it's refreshing, peaceful, relaxing. Good choices, Dowser.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    11 years ago

Too Sweet. Paint. Draw. Eat Vitamins.

There are just too dang many I'd like hanging on the wall of my hovel in the woods. Currently it is mostly my work along with trades from other Artists.

This is sorta like music with me. Ask me ten minutes from now and a new batch would show.

Get some.

Rudolf Schiestl

7078_discussions.jpg Lucien Freud

7079_discussions.jpg?width=721 Egon Schiele

7080_discussions.jpg?width=721 Ernst Fuchs

7081_discussions.jpg WH Dunton

7082_discussions.jpg Tamara de Limpicka

7083_discussions.jpg Kelly Remstead

7084_discussions.jpg?width=721 David Hockney

7085_discussions.jpg?width=721 Aron Wiesenfeld

7086_discussions.jpg George Catlin

7087_discussions.jpg Jack Beal

7088_discussions.jpg Daniel Garcia

7089_discussions.jpg?width=721 Just a few off the top of my pointed little noggin....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Wow! That is a real collection!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Beautiful and interesting! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks! I love that one-- I want to know what he's thinking as he sits there in his old age, his dog beside him. It is such a nice painting, you can go on forever in it-- around the next bend, down the river...

7095_discussions.png?width=721

My mother has an old old print, from the 1880s, Moonlight on the Potomac. It's a picture of a man poling across the Potomac River in an 1850s sort of outfit, done in dark greens and white. I love it, and would show that one to you, if I could find a copy... I don't know if it is famous or not, but all my life, I've looked at that print, and loved it. Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I LOVE the guy on the horse with the dogs, and the Native American one. Yup, those would be really nice in my house, somewhere. Smile.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Bob, they were my choices of different schools of art for the purpose of this article, but my favourite as I stated was the Turner. I also like the Tom Thompson, the El Greco, the Dali, and the Morrisseau, especially since I knew him personally.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

7096_discussions.jpg?width=721 The Crucifixion by Velasquez is the most stunning piece of art I have ever seen. I have spent many hours in El Prado studying this painting. Every brush stroke is genius, the colors are alive and vibrant. The painting itself is huge, 98 x 67 inches. This digital reproduction of the painting does it no justice.

Wikipedia's article on the painting:

There is some beautiful art here in this article, many of them are among my favorites.

I also like the work of Andrew Wyeth, although I think his sister, Henrietta (wife of Peter Hurd), was just as good a painter as he was, but she didn't pursue the exposure of her art like Andrew did. My mother knew her long ago.

7097_discussions.jpg Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth. This painting hangs in MOMA. It is stunning in it's starkness and it always draws a crowd.

Oh, and let's not forget that bizarre and goofy Caravaggio.

7098_discussions.jpg The Lute Player, Caravaggio, 1596

Great article, Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Great paintings, Grump.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    11 years ago

Marriage of Arnolfini by Jan van Eyck. The original is in the National Gallery in London. If you can see it closely enough, you can see that the mirror behind the couple shows the entire scene inverted, with the small dog missing for some symbolic reason known only to the artist. Such precision is very hard to do even with a camera. Not bad for the 16th Century.

7099_discussions.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Interesting submission, TTGA. This might be a good point to quote Aristotle:

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance."

Shub Orinuj
Freshman Silent
link   Shub Orinuj    11 years ago

Saw the movie for #14 the other week. But if I wanted a painting I would take anything during the Ming Dynasty or anything from Da Vinci. Some really good artists during the Ming Dynasty. As for Da Vinci who wouldn't want a picture that keeps the viewer questioning what the picture says behind the face.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Very true Buzz. When I took Art Appreciation class in college, the question was asked (for debate purposes), "Who was your favorite artist and why?" I chose Norman Rockwell and was informed (by my classmates, not the professor) that Rockwell was just an illustrator and not an artist at all. My reply was that Rockwell didn't draw just what was there, but what he saw to be there. He did it so successfully that he was not just an artist, but a great artist.

Something else I noticed was that the lady was extremely pregnant and was just then getting married. Never thought that they could get away with that sort of thing in the 16th Century.

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent
link   Erinn Rich    11 years ago

Love this thread!!!

Here arethree ones I'd like. I am partial to landscapes, but overall these are ones that I love. They make me happy... that's the only reason why!

The first one is Georgia O'Keefe and the second is

ballet de coquelicots - 2012 Vronique Piaser-Moyen

The third is by Vetriano "Damce me to the End of Love"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

What came first, Vetriano's painting or Leonard Cohen's song?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    11 years ago

This is my all-time favorite!

7100_discussions.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Of course, look what it includes: sunset colours, reflection in the water, silhouetted foreground, rule of thirds, etc. Naturally it's your favourite.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It's true that Ming Dynasty(13681644) art is magnificent. Here are a few examples of paintings from that era. The artworks from that time took many forms besides paintings. I will do an article on it.

7101_discussions.jpg 7102_discussions.jpg 7103_discussions.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Never mind, I answered my own question. The painting was done in 1951 and the song was written in 1984. I guess Leonard saw the painting and it inspired him to write the song.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Starry Night is much more amazing in real life. What you can't see in the photos, is how much canvas has no paint on it. How thick the paint is. How the colors pop. I stared at it for about 20 min. when I first saw it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It's an amazing painting.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I read about this and other paintings of the time in the Smithsonian. It seems that the artist posed his subjects, then got into a box with no light except that coming from a lens inserted into the wall. It projected the scene upside down-- and the artist used the projection from the lens to draw his subjects on the canvas. He would then use various colors and shading to get the scene perfect.

If you notice, this painting is somewhat skewed by the lens used. The top half of the people are in proportion, but the bottom half is larger, they are elongated somewhat-- not like real people would have been. That's from the distortion of the lens. There are a couple of others like that, that if I can find them, I'll post them here.

It's an interesting technique-- The article is very old, so I doubt that I can find it, but it would be worth a look... I'll see what I can find! Smile.gif

The use of lenses as a method to draw the basics of a painting went out of common use in the late 1700s. I've always wanted to try it! Oh, and another thing, by projecting the picture upside down, one can draw more accurately-- as it forces your creative side of your brain to 'see' a drawing as a matter of shapes and planes, rather than a woman/man... Any of us can produce a better copy of something if our subjects are upside down. Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Here is an article about the use of lenses as a technique used in paintings in the renaissance. In fact, it discusses this very painting as an example of its use. Here is another article that shows how it may have been set up! And here is yet another article about it...

7104_discussions.png Here is another painting by Vermeer, which shows the distortion of the bottom of the picture-- the table cloth is outsized and the flooring looks to be distorted, as well. This is Jan Vermeer's The Music Lesson.

Here is an article in the Smithsonian, but I don't think this was the original article, and it has no art work in it to demonstrate... Oh well, I tried. I can't find the paintings used to illustrate the article, either!!! ARGHH!

TTGA
Professor Silent

Very interesting Dowser. The use of lenses for various purposes other than telescopes was coming into play in Europe at just about this time too. If the lenses had significant amounts of magnification qualities, that could also explain the extreme amount of detail that Van Ecyk was able to show. The fact that the construction of lenses was still at a relatively primitive level would account for the elongation effect too. I never knew about that technique but, now that you've described it, it becomes obvious that something like that would have been necessary. Without it, achieving such detail would have required the subjects to pose like that for days on end (not really practical for a pregnant woman). The use of lenses appears to still be in use by artists today, except that now the lens is attached to a camera and the artist works from a photograph.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I love Andrew Wyeth and GeorgiaO'Keeffe. One for the muted colors and the other for the vivid use of colors. That is why I also love David Hockney.

hockney.pool-2-figures.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSlLRlDHlTSl8KUHZrrQ4NNpuz3b-gvJGPWdfkxSlFw5D6l0GG

Which leads me to Henri Rousseau

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxXz__1oGRaewwFrS98ebDHA7Fmqln-HAeFoVJsBCEDBtx6jrnDA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2GStjBlFuKg4ojmXp4SvA5FiGX0ETmug0VlcPt6OodLvNBb0J

Henri-Rousseau-Jungles-in-Paris.jpg

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

Rousseau is always fun with great color. I like the tiger and the lemur in the painting above.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It generated huge controversy at the time, even though Hockner who espoused the theory was in no way detracting from the artist's eye-- he just wanted to show that the distortions were produced by lenses...

There is a famous painting, (which of course, I can not find), of a woman sitting in a chair that is rather high-- her skirt is voluminous-- much bigger than she is. Well, we all know that women's skirts have been larger than their torso's, but that wasn't the style at the time-- also the table cloth is very distorted and the flooring is also distorted-- evenly. Her body would indicate that she is a very small woman, but her legs and skirt would indicate that she is about 7' tall...

In one of the articles I saw, they had measured the distortion and proved that the artist had used both a lens and a convex mirror to produce the detail in his pictures.

In the original Smithsonian article, (which was probably in the late 1990s), an artist had copied the set up and spoke of the ultra rich colors that were shown on his canvas, and that his trouble, even with using paints formulated the way they did in the 1600's he had trouble matching the rich hues of the earlier paintings...

It's a neat idea! Smile.gif

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

I'm a Hockney fan as well. That feller sure sold a buttload of colored pencils to Art School Students. Heck, every figurative artist/painter I knew ran right down to the friendly neighborhood supply store and bought em a bucket full.

I'm here to testify that Rembrandt's are the best. If you like a richer color and smoother application. Good stuff. Can't beat em with a stick. Well, I guess you could but I cannot see the point.

7105_discussions.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

This is the same guy, (David Hockney), that proposed that the Renaissance artists used lenses and concave/convex mirrors to paint their pictures... His own work is fascinating! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Me, too! I'm not great with art, by any means, or art appreciation, either. But, I know what I like when I see it-- and I lean toward old masters... Landscapes, etc. I, too, don't want anything that will give me nightmares!

Our next door neighbor, when I was a really little girl, had a painting where Jesus was up in the clouds in a night sky, sucking up the souls from the houses down below. That picture gave me nightmares! I was truly afraid I'd get sucked up next! Frown.gif

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

I'm loving this post. A whole lotta mighty fine art being displayed.

Anyhow, new day, new list.

The Elder

7106_discussions.jpg?width=721 Alice Neel

7107_discussions.jpg Paul Cadmus

7108_discussions.jpg TH Benton

7109_discussions.jpg?width=721 John Carrol Doyle

7110_discussions.jpg George Tooker

7111_discussions.jpg

Lu Cong

7112_discussions.jpg Edward Hopper

7113_discussions.jpg NC Wyeth. When I was but a kid I hitch hiked from Alabama up to Pennsylvania to see this guys work. Along with Pyle and the rest of the Brandywine School. It was revelatory, I hope to tell you.

7114_discussions.jpg?width=721 Robert Crumb

7115_discussions.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

In the elder, are they killing someone?

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

It's the parable of the Blind Leading the Blind.

Ol Buzz really nailed a good one with this post. Much fun.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It makes me feel really good to bring pleasure to my friends.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks, Tex, I couldn't figure out what was going on... Smile.gif

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

The very same. He wrote a tome about it.

7116_discussions.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

From what I was reading, there were quite a few seminars debunking his theory. Not being an artist, nor a critic, or having any great knowledge of the subject, I have to say that the evidence is there.

What I don't understand is why people became so incensed over it. It was like the Egyptologists who got in an absolute Tizzy Fit over a geologists climate studies, saying that the timeline for Egypt's historical events was longer than what has been previously accepted. That poor man was almost stoned to death!

This brings me to something else, which is off topic-- BUT, why don't scientists of many different disciplines work together to solve these little puzzles? How come science has become such a political talking point? The whole point of science is the pursuit of truth-- unbiased truth, supported by measurable evidence.

Oh well.... Anyhoo-- Love you, dear Tex! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I wondered about that, too, at first-- then I realized that it wasn't the wedding of the couple, but their marriage-- after they'd been married for a while, anyway... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Beautiful, dear A. Mac! Truly beautiful!

This is the painting I have in our den-- I love it!

7117_discussions.png See that U-shaped valley? Glaciated terrain! Truly magnificent!

Yeah, I know... But it is a very pretty, peaceful picture!

Smile.gif

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    11 years ago

The Lady of Shalott

AgVoOpE.jpg

In her white lace, you could clearly see the lady sadly lookin'

Sayin' that she'd take the blame.

For the crucifixion of her own domain

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

And down the rivers dim expanse,

Like some bold seer in a trance,

Seeing all his own mischance

With glassy countenance

Did she look to Camelot.

And at the closing of the day

She loosed the chain, and down she lay,

The broad stream bore her far away,

The Lady of Shalott.

(Alfred, Lord Tennyson)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The story of that magnificent painting by Waterhouse is worth telling to give even greater appreciation of it. From Wikipedia:

The Lady of Shalott is an 1888 oil-on-canvas painting by the English Pre-Raphaelite painter John William Waterhouse . The work is a representation of a scene from Alfred, Lord Tennyson 's 1832 poem of the same name , [ 1 ] in which the poet describes the plight of a young woman (loosely based on Elaine of Astolat , who yearned with an unrequited love for the knight Sir Lancelot ) isolated under an undisclosed curse in a tower near King Arthur 's Camelot . Waterhouse painted three different versions of this character, in 1888, [ 2 ] 1894 [ 3 ] and 1916. [ 4 ]

According to legend, the Lady of Shalott was forbidden to look directly at reality or the outside world; instead she was doomed to view the world through a mirror, and weave what she saw into tapestry . Her despair was heightened when she saw loving couples entwined in the far distance, and she spent her days and nights aching for a return to normality. One day the Lady saw Sir Lancelot passing on his way in the reflection of the mirror, and dared to look out at Camelot , bringing about a curse. The lady escaped by boat during an autumn storm, inscribing 'The Lady of Shalott' on the prow. As she sailed towards Camelot and certain death, she sang a lament . Her frozen body was found shortly afterwards by the knights and ladies of Camelot, one of whom is Lancelot, who prayed to God to have mercy on her soul . The tapestry she wove during her imprisonment was found draped over the side of the boat.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

I was somewhat perplexed with the degree of hostility to it as well. Artists always use whatever tools are necessary to enhance their work. Seems logical to me.

Yeah, academia is an incestuous and jealous endeavor. Just look at the hysteria in regard to pre-Columbian contact with the Americas in the early daze. It seems that just about any new theory, regardless the discipline, that questions the status quo belief system is always attacked with gusto in its genesis. Go figure.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Yes, you can almost feel the wind in that picture.

Merleliz
Freshman Silent
link   Merleliz    11 years ago

Love Thomas Kincaid.