╌>

How Reagan Promoted Genocide

Category:  Other

Via:  z  •  11 years ago  •  6 comments

How Reagan Promoted Genocide

Special Report: A newly discovered document reveals that President Reagan and his national security team in 1981 approved Guatemalas extermination of both leftist guerrillas and their civilian support mechanisms, a green light that opened a path to genocide against hundreds of Mayan villages, reports Robert Parry.

Soon after taking office in 1981, President Ronald Reagans national security team agreed to supply military aid to the brutal right-wing regime in Guatemala to pursue the goal of exterminating not only Marxist guerrillas but their civilian support mechanisms, according to a newly disclosed document from the National Archives.

Over the next several years, the military assistance from the Reagan administration helpedthe Guatemalan army do just that, engaging in the slaughter of some 100,000 people, including what a truth commission deemed genocide against the Mayan Indians in the northern highlands... - http://consortiumnews.com/2013/02/21/how-reagan-promoted-genocide/

Saint Ronald Reagan, as he is popularly known by in Republican circles, has risen from a mere mortal of a president to almost god-like proportions. To speak ill of him is to commit the unforgivable sin of blasphemy for which no GOP member will forgive you. At least that's the way it is in Lalaland.

Closer to home, the short-sighted perfidy of this man is only now, over the last few years, been coming to light. I would invite people to read the entire article before commenting. For my part, the man is NO saint. I am obviously no fan of Reagan's as many of his ill-conceived policies are affecting us to this very day.

yrzZ5c5.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Aeonpax    11 years ago

I would tend to agree as far as the US covertly promoting governments and movements that have or wanted to, conduct genocide.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I detested Ronald Reagan as I watched him dismantle the middle class and set policies in place that have adversely affected us for the last 30+ years. I can't believe that anyone would hold this man up as any kind of example, except as what NOT to do. His policies, attitudes, and posturings have directly lead to what is going on today.

This makes me ill, but I'm not at all surprised. I'm so very sorry for the Mayan people.

retired military ex Republican
Freshman Silent
link   retired military ex Republican    11 years ago

I'm also so very sorry for the American people who have a shrine in their house to Ronald Regan or at least a shrine in their mind for him. His actions I agree have dismantled industry and the middle class. George H. Bush was also exteremely detremental to our country with the NAFTA that he orchestrated then blue dress Willie signed the Dam thing.

retired military ex Republican
Freshman Silent
link   retired military ex Republican    11 years ago

Does anyone know who put togeather the TAX deferrment for companies sending jobs over seas and when? I know John F. Kennedy wanted to get rid of it and wondered if maybe it was the reason he was assassinated. Fortunes have been made by utilizing this tax deferment breaking up companies and pocketing the tax money.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I don't know, dear retired, but I hope someone does... Take care, dear friend! Smile.gif

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Aeonpax    11 years ago

When I first entered grade school (89), Reagan's picture was plastered in every classroom. I didn't think anything of it at the time, except the teachers would speak of him as a great man who defeated the godless forces of the Soviet Union. I didn't start learning the truth about him until college.