╌>

Let us gather together and find solace with one another.

Category:  Other

Via:  dowser  •  12 years ago  •  26 comments

Let us gather together and find solace with one another.

No poor words of mine will, in any way, mitigate the sorrow in our hearts for the victims of the shooting in Newtown, CT today. Yet, perhaps we can gather together and find solace with one another.

It is my nature to turn to God in prayer in times like this-- and I ask that, in this discussion,we share our thoughts and prayers for the victim's families, friends, neighbors, and for those brave responders who did their best to help.

This is not a political discussion-- there are plenty of places to fight the gun control/mental health advocacy/pick an issue battles. But, please, not here.

Let's see if we can help each other 'bear up', process this awful day, and still love each other. For the greatest of healing is by love.

May God bless all of you, and keep you safe in the hollowof His hand.

Love,

Marsha/Dowser

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    12 years ago

To harm children is, to me, beyond belief. I pray that the families of the children and the brave teachers who tried to protect them can get through this, and somehow find peace within their hearts. May God bless them. I thank the responders who came as quickly as they could, and did what they could to protect our most precious little children.

May God help us all.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    12 years ago

Dowers

You are one in a million,..thank you for the article,...and add my prayers to it,...LR

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you, LR.

All of us need to gather together as friends, and lean on one another. This is such a time of sadnessfor all of us-- but together, we can find the strength to deal with it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Marsha,

You have always held a special place in my heart, and this is one of the reasons that it's there. This is what I was hoping someone would say, and you said it and for that I thank you.

No parent should have to suffer a loss like this much less 20. As anelementaryteacher for over 20 years I just can'tseparatemy feelings for those families..And as a mother.. the terrible grief.

You are right...may God help us all.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you so very much, my dear Perrie.

You are right, no parent should ever have to suffer this kind of senseless loss. No teacher should be terrified that the children in her charge should suffer. Those brave, wonderful teachers, gave their lives to save the children they could, and they should be commended as heroes.

I think all of us are angry, frightened, and devastated by this loss. I just hope that we can pull together to process what has happened, and be supportive of one another, as we grieve for those precious souls that were lost to us.

For something like this, we need Divine Intervention. I have faith that God will give us the strength to bear it, and that we will somehow appreciate this wonderful life even more. If any of us just stop to help someone, in their name, their deaths would not be in vain.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

If any of us just stop to help someone, in their name, their deaths would not be in vain.

What a wonderful way to make sense out of the senseless. It might be something we here would like to consider.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think that is a good idea.

Turn the horror into something good, make a difference, honor those innocent souls and braveteachers, and somehow, feel better by helping someone else.

Kill the hate with love. That's all I know to do, and the only way I know of to get past the anger and horror.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Kill the hate with love. That's all I know to do, and the only way I know of to get past the anger and horror.

I totally agree!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks, dear Perrie!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

Thanks Dowser; level head and a level heart.

Many blessings and good karma to those poor families affected by this senseless tragedy.

leonahardware
Freshman Silent
link   leonahardware    12 years ago

I just watched the vigil that was had at the high school in Newtown, Connecticut.

I watched many different faiths represented there. Their prayers were very heartfelt, and meant to give comfort.

This is something that my cousin in Washington posted on her facebook Friday afternoon, and I thought it appropriate to share with you all.....

Dear God,We come to You with broken hearts,surrendering the catastrophe that has occurred today in Connecticut.We cannot comprehend the darkness that led to this,or the suffering of those who have loved and lost. ...

They are both too big.
But in You, dear God, there are Answers we cannot surmise and Light we cannot summon by ourselves.
We present to you our brokenness, and the horror and pain of those who grieve.
May those who died find joy in the immortal realms.
May those who mourn them be comforted in this hour of their agony.
And may our prayers and actions be guided by You, dear God,
to create a world where this occurs no more.
Amen (Marianne Williamson)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you, Larry.

Leona, what a beautiful prayer! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Much love to you both!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Dowser,

I keep coming to your article as my own little place of peace. Thank you for providing that for me! And apparently although people have not said much, all I have to do is look at number of views to see that others do feel the same way.

((((Doswer)))

Arch-Man
Freshman Silent
link   Arch-Man    12 years ago

Amen, yes Jesus does love us truly. I like to add one of my favorite Psalms for encouragement.

Psalm 91:

1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2I will say of theLord, He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.
3Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
9If you make the Most High your dwelling
even theLord, who is my refuge
10then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14Because he loves me, says theLord, I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    12 years ago

So incredibly sad. Hard to find the words. Thank you Dowser for saying what so many of us are thinking and feeling.

lilgremlin
Freshman Silent
link   lilgremlin    12 years ago

((((Dowser))))

Thank you dear Dowser for posting this and allowing us all to share our feelings of horror and sadness at this event. No parent should ever have to go through what these families are dealing with.

Yesterday at church the kids had two different Christmas programs. I was also teaching in Worship Center after the first program. My students are K-2nd grade but the program runs 3 y/o-2nd grade. I cannot imagine losing even one of those kids to something so tragic.

I do not know what their parents have or have not told them about the shooting. What I do know is that there is something miraculous in the innocence they bring with them to class. The pre-school kids dressed as angels for the program provided so many smiles and laughter (one lost focus on singing as soon as he realized his shoe was untied and he could stomp on the laces, a pair of sisters were trying to stand in front of each other...).

In the classroom the kids were so full of joy and energy. I didn't even try to tell a proper story. I let them help me tell the story of Jesus' birth and the shepherds being visited by the angels. I did try to help them understand just how humble the birth really was. (Baby Jesus'crib was a FOOD BOWL for donkeys and sheep! Can you imagine what that was like?...What do you think it was like inside the stable?) Their energy and enthusiasm for the unorthodox story telling is something to be cherished.

Twenty children will never laugh again. They will never get excited for Christmas (or Halloween or Easter or Hanukkah) again. Twenty children will never drive their teachers and parents to exasperation with their seemingly boundless energy and zest for life. We now (should) take the time to mourn with their families and friends. May this senseless tragedy remind us to take joy in our children and families even when they make us want to pull our hair out.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you for your wonderful posting!

I know it makes all of us feel better!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you, Larry, for your kind posting!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Leona, I'm getting all my replies mixed up. Thank so much for your prayer! Much love to you!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    12 years ago

This whole thing is so puzzling and heartbreaking. Thanks for the article. And thanks to the folks who have commented here. All the comments are uplifting.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

They all help us to heal, don't they?

MUCH love to you, dear grump... I'm just tired, so very tired...

Take care and know that I'll be back soon-- and I'll be here, for sure. Take care!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That is one of my favorites, too. Thank you so very much for your lovely comment!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I don't know what to say that would help-- anyone. But at least we can come together and hang on to one another. That is worth a lot!

Take care, dear friend!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm not sure how to do that yet, as I'm still learning my way. I appreciate all the wonderful comments here-- and am also very appreciative that we all have used this as a place to grieve, not scream at each other. :-)

I'm just so tired of all the screaming...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

Yup, a real nice article here Dowser.

You will see the number of views at the very bottom of the article itself underneath the "like" and "share" buttons.

Keep up the wonderful work!

:~)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks, Larry-- I'm slowly learning my way around...

I'm an awfully old dog to be learning all these new tricks! Smile.gif