╌>

Meta Madness... Discussion on How to Make the Site Function Better.

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  12 years ago  •  37 comments

Meta Madness... Discussion on How to Make the Site Function Better.

Hello Girls and Boys,

There have been a couple of issues that need to be discussed about how the site has been functioning. The first is the groups. Although, they seem nice, the are underutilized. I tried to putting an RSS feed for each group, so that members could see current articles, yet, some of those articles haven't changed, which means no one is going to some of the the groups. I tried moving the groups to the left side of the page. Still nada. Also, the RSS feeds slow the loading of the front page So the question begs, until Ning provides a "forum" for the groups do we need them or at least do we need all of them? If you like the groups or own one, is visibilitythe issue?

Another alternative, could be the blogs. Every person has a blog on their home page. When a current blog post is made, it shows, with pictures on the front page. This might drive interest. It would also archive these posts to the writers/seeders, on their homepage. I could move the blogs to the center, too, where they would be seen and move the activity feed to the left or the right. Keep in mind, that all items on the right, show up on every page.

Tracking is always an issue. We actually have a good tracking system here. It's on your homepage. On the left hand side towards the top is a link called "Discussions" with a number next to it. If you click on it, you will see your last comments, what article, who made the last comment and how long ago. If you click on your last comment, you can easily track to see if a comment was made to yours.

If there are any other tech ideas or questions about the site, this is the time to discuss them. This meta article is ONLY about how the site functions. All off topic comments will be removed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    12 years ago

The problem with the groups is the articles dont also link directly to the front page. You can see the most recent two i suppose, but they dont enter front page circulation (middle of the page). The articles in the middle of the page are the only ones that see any real traffic because they are right there where everybody can see them without any effort. In my opinion, all articles should end up in the center of the page whether they are posted to groups or not. My thought is the groups exist to separate article categories, not to isolate articles. However, that is not the case in practice here. Why not, for example, replace the lighter side with Funny Pages for example, and add more categories that are actually the groups rather than using generic categories like news and politics?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

LOL... I knew someone would say that.... Ladies first!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I am not sure if I understand you, D'wayne. Ning offers no way to get the groups entire forum out there. These RSS feeds was the best that they can offer now. I can make morecategoriesfor the main page, but then what would be the purpose of the groups?

BTW we do have other topics in the forum other than news and politics and we can feature them in the forum. If you want to add these to the forum, I will be glad to do so.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That might be a very good point... with the exception of "Heated Discussions", since that groups is for discussion without moderation, if you are so inclined.

Also, how do people feel about making the blogs moreprominent?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I tend to agree. But I want people who own these groups to make thedecisionthemselves. Say like ME affairs. Not everyone is interested in it. Maybe that one wants to remain a group?

Pedro
Professor Participates

My point is the categories conflict with the groups, especially since you cant post to both. Ultimately though, without noticeable front page tracking (more than two articles shown, and more prominently), the groups will never be popular

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Randy,

Do you use the groups?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

I think we should leave things the way they are but rename the groups as "dungeons" .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

So, would it be your contention to get rid of most of the groups, and make sure that there is a topic that cover them in the forum...

Now, what about the blogs... should I make them more visible? My idea being that if you have a continuing series, like you have with cooking, you can clearly see them. I can do a preview of this, if that is needed.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Rich...

I have something to tell you... lean over.... closer...closer... [wacks head]

Come on... something useful!

Pedro
Professor Participates

It seems to me blogs are just as valid as articles.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Valid or visible? I can really perk up the blogs and even have them front and center. That way you can see the picture and even most of the text.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

So True...3.gif

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    12 years ago

I haven't been here very long, but here goes. I notice that at the top of the page is a link to groups, which, in my opinion, actually gets me to where I wanted to be better than the links on the side. There isn't a link on the side for blogs (although it seems like there used to be before I joined). Perhaps the blogs on the side would help. An alternative for groups would be to turn the titles into links (they currently aren't) with a link to blogs either at the top or to the side.

Pedro
Professor Participates

That is a good idea.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

Question, what is Forum for? It looks like a link to groups.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

I just noticed that blogs are on the left, but you have scroll so far down that they get ignored. I apologize for the oversite. I noticed that I was more focused on the center of the page. So, off the top of my head I think it is more a design issue, with some technical issues behind the scenes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi Steve.

The groups which you can access from both the side ( just the two most recent articles for each group) can be accessed also from the link at the top of the page. The reason I put them on the side, was the hope that they would be used more, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Blogs are our personal writings for the most part. They can be accessed through each of our homepages and on the side. They include pictures. They are unthreaded with newest entry on top. They can be used say like for Macs photo groups, which might help withvisibility.

The Forum is like it was at NV. It contains either orginal content or seeds and is threaded. It is far more for discussion than the blogs are. Blogs are almost like having a diary Both blogs and your discussions ( items you posted in the Forum) are also found on your homepage.

Does that help any?

I guess the big question is, do I take the groups off the front page, but punch up the exposure of the blogs. This way, again with Mac as an example, if he runs a photo contest, it will be seen nicely and comments can be made.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

Ok, I have another question, how does the NT Columnists work? Are there designated columnists for the site or is it for the latest seed, etc?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That is an easy one. They are to feature original articles that show up in the forum, as opposed to seeding. NV did the same thing. It's to give an extra measure of credit and visibility to those who actually take the time to write articles.

BTW, any changes can always beimplementedand reversed if they don't work out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

So, off the top of my head I think it is more a design issue, with some technical issues behind the scenes.

That is a big part of the issue. The other is, do we need the feeds for the groups? They slow up the loading of the front page, and I am not sure if they are even being used for the most part.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

Is there a way to tell how much the feeds are being used? I don't really use feeds myself, but I know lots of people out there do. If they aren't being utilized, cut 'em. The groups on the side is ok if the titles can be turned into links directly to the groups articles rather than having to click on an article and then click a link that takes you to the whole group (does that make sense?).

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

10836_discussions.jpg

Here's your thong.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

ROFLMAO!!!24.gif 24.gif

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

It's the only thong pic my wife lets me keep.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That would imply that there was a profit....yet my P&L says that ain't so. The government could mandate it... but I could be a scoff... hey you never know.

BTW...nice cheeks....;-)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hummm.. I'm not sure if this is what you are saying... but even if your not..you gave me an idea.

I think you are saying that not to worry about the latest articles but have links that go directly to the groups forums.

Is that what you mean Steve?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Let's just have the Federal Government mandate that we have to use the groups.

Finally... Mike speaks!

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet

Yeah, mostly. If you want to keep the latest articles, that might work ok. But I still think the group name needs to be a direct link rather than having to go to the top of the page.

Pedro
Professor Participates

Sorry, i believe rebellion is the duty of all citizens when faced with an obviously corrupt system. I will now only use the People's Forum.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yes Comrade! We shall only use the "People's Forum!"

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

P ,

You should conduct a poll to see if anyone uses the feeds to the groups or is committed to that concept .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

So any other ideas?

Pedro
Professor Participates

yes. Less than thirty articles on the topic of Trayvon Martin. Seems a little excessive for such a small active membership.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Peter,

I have to agree about that. Especially when there is more interesting news out there...

Hummm... got to post a little ditty I found.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    12 years ago

Actually, I don't understand any of this. I can't believe that after a couple of days trying I finally was able to open thenewstalkers. Seems to me the biggest problem is we need more members and with a bigger number I believe the problems will alleviate. We should all go on a membership increasing campaign. Just be careful and make sure they are people you would welcome in your home.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Buzz, I agree. We actually have grown in active members quite a bit, but we could mostdefinitelyuse new blood. I think I will take to heart the idea of a membership campaign... but we also want quality members. Discussion is what it's all about.