╌>

CASABLANCA QUIZ

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  13 years ago  •  27 comments

CASABLANCA QUIZ

9699_discussions.jpg

CASABLANCA QUIZ

This is a quiz to test your MEMORY of the movieCasablanca. It is not fair to consult any previous quiz I have posted, or to watch the movie again or to research such as to use the internet. In one week I will post provide the names of the gold, silver and bronze winners of the contest along with the answers. Don't post your answers, but respond to my email address with them (signing with your newstalkers i/d):

buzzoftheorient76@gmail.com

1What was the significance of the number 22?

2What was the name of the rhumba to which Rick and Ilsa danced in a nightclub in Paris?

3What colour were the uniforms of the Germans when they marched into Paris?

4What was the owner of La Belle Aurore going to do with his champagne when the Germans arrived?

5What did Captain Renault identify as the least vulnerable part of his body?

6What politically incorrect thing did Ilsa call the piano player?

7Who did Rick suggest could marry himself and Ilsa?

8What did Carl offer to get for Rick when he saved the virtue of the young woman?

9What was Bergers nationality?

10How much money were Gottis chips worth when he cashed them in?

11How many times did Rick say Heres looking at you, kid during the movie?

12How far away were the German cannons when Rick and Ilsa heard them?

13What in this movie was the MacGuffin?

14How much was the bet for that Victor Laszlo would or would not escape?

15What is the conversation about in this photo?

9700_discussions.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    13 years ago

There are far too many of these I just don't know the answer to . If you were to inquire about a later movie [maybe Catch 22] I might have a chance but this flick is before my time ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    13 years ago

Randall. Can you delete your reply? I noted what you responded, but I had forgotten to say for everyone to respond to my email address, so now your answers guide others. I added my email address now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

This really should have been posted to Classic Cinema, where most of the members would be aware of this movie. I'll try to do another quiz on a more recent film soon.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Thanks. You did it. As a reward I'll let you email me your answer to #1 and will count it.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I do have knowledge of some of the earlier films . "The Third Man" is one I've seen several times , actually many of Orson Welles's films ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I may try to do a quiz on something even more recent because not everyone has a taste for older classics. Perhaps something like The Godfather, or Star Wars.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It's one of the best movies of all time, according to many different lists. So max, give yourself a treat and watch the movie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    13 years ago

Buzz,

Don't kill me, but I have never seen the movie! Just bits and pieces of it. It's kind of odd. I love classic movies, but for some reason, this one eludes me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Perrie, it is included on critics' movie lists as one of the top 3 if not the top movie of all time. How can you not watch it?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Here it is Randy. Buzz had it miscategorizedin News & Politics. Also, a note to everyone, this site has an excellent search system, which is how I found it. All you have to do is remember a word from the article, which in this case was Casablanca. Easy breezy. It's in the upper right side of the corner of the homepage.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Sorry if I did something wrong. I just wanted it to be seen by the most members, and the members of Classic Cinema are too few. Maybe I should have put it on both. As it happens, at this point, Randy is in place to win all 3 medals unless someone else provides a response before Sunday morning (American time).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I know... I don't know how either. I have seen almost every other classic movie on earth, but for some reason, not this one. Forgive me!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Buzz,

Your Up! No you didn't do anything wrong *since we don't have a not newscategory. When you put an article into the forum, putting the rightcategoryhelps to find it. It still remains on the front board of the site. Also, I did some changes in the groups. Articles in there are nowautomaticallyupdated and put on the front page under your groups name.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Neat ! How do you change the category of an article ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Okay Randal, this is the day and the time. Nobody else even tried to guess answers so raise your flag, play your anthem, and straddle all 3 podiums. You won gold, silver and bronze. Congratulations. AsI may have told you, it'smy number one movie of all time as well as yours. If anyone's interested, the answers are as follows:

1What was the significance of the number 22? The roulette number suggested by Rick that enabled the young couple to get the money for exit visas to get to America.

2What was the name of the rhumba to which Rick and Ilsa danced in a nightclub in Paris? Perfidia. Okay that was unfair for people who didn't learn to dance Latin American dances in the 40s and early 50s when that song waspopular.

3What colour were the uniforms of the Germans when they marched into Paris? Gray. As Rick said to Ilsa: "TheGermanswore gray, you wore blue".

4What was the owner of La Belle Aurore going to do with his champagne when the Germans arrived? Water his garden with it (rather than have the Germans drink it).

5What did Captain Renault identify as the least vulnerable part of his body? His heart, when Rick said he was pointingthe gun at his heart.

6What politically incorrect thing did Ilsa call the piano player? She asked the waiter to have "the boy playing the piano to come over". Sam (the "boy") was a black manostensibly in his 40s.

7Who did Rick suggest could marry himself and Ilsa? The train conductor on the train from Paris to Marseille. "After all, the captain of a ship can do it".

8.What did Carl offer to get for Rick when he saved the virtue of the young woman? A cup of coffee. "Can I get you a cup of coffee?"

9What was Bergers nationality? Norwegian. "Berger, Norwegian, at your service."

10How much money were Gottis chips worth when he cashed them in? 2000 francs

11How many times did Rick say Heres looking at you, kid during the movie? 3 times - once in Paris, once in his office in his cafe, and finally, when Ilsa was going to get on the plane to Lisbon.

12How far away were the German cannons when Rick and Ilsa heard them? I'm pretty sure Rick said they were 35 miles away, but it could have been 30.

13What in this movie was the MacGuffin? The letters of transit.google "MacGuffin" for an explanation of what it means.In The Maltese Falcon it's the model of a falcon.

14How much was the bet for that Victor Laszlo would or would not escape? 10,000 francs. At the end of the movie, Captain Renault said "We'll need that 10,000 francs for our expenses." To which Rick replied with the last line of the movie: "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

15What is the conversation about in this photo? Ferrari is trying to get Sam to come and play at his club, The Blue Parrot. Sam is saying either "Oh, I like it here." or "I can't spend the money I make now."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I've been told that my mother looked very much like Ingrid Bergman. My mother's in the white beret. What do you think?

10948_discussions.jpg

10949_discussions.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Afew suggestions from my favourites Michael:

The Third Man (great camera work - fabulous shadows - Orson Welles)

Seven Samurai, followed by The Magnificent Seven (to see that a remake can actually be good)

A Place in the Sun (Elizabeth Taylorat hermost beautiful, Montgomery Clift at his most intense.)

The Life of Emile Zola (The Dreyfus Case - "The truth is on the march and nothing shall stop it.")

Goodbye Mr. Chips (I went to a boys' English type private school so I really loved it.)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Gregory Peck at his best)

War and Peace (Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda, Mel Ferrer)

Sgt. York (Gary Cooper, the humble hero)

How the West Was Won (A conglomerate of good actors)

Being There (Peter Sellers at his best - watch the end crediits, it's a laugh)