╌>

Police nab man for dumping plastic bags full of beer cans on a quiet Mulgrave St each day for 18 months

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  9 comments

Police nab man for dumping plastic bags full of beer cans on a quiet Mulgrave St each day for 18 months

National

Senior Constable Nick Schnerring from Glen Waverley police with litter bags of empty beer

Senior Constable Nick Schnerring from Glen Waverley police with litter bags of empty beer cans. Picture: Supplied Source: Supplied

POLICE have nabbed a driver who threw as many as 11,700 empty beer cans on nature strips in the same Mulgrave street over the past 18 months.

Police said irate people in the quiet street were finding two to three plastic bags containing as many as 30 empty Carlton Draught cans each weekday.

The driver stuck to a strict routine, throwing the neatly tied bags between 7.30am and 7.40am.

Glen Waverley police Senior Constable Nick Schnerring told the Leader that police had received several complaints in the past 18 months, but no details of the vehicle or driver.

The people of Bertrand Ave had simply gritted their collective teeth and obligingly disposed of the bags and cans.

Then last Monday, one of the residents finally had enough, Sen-Constable Schnerring said.

We had a breakthrough when several neighbours hid behind bushes and noted the registration and make and model of the car.

Sen-Constable Schnerring and partner Constable Adrian Staudt headed out early yesterday morning and sat in an unmarked car waiting for the Mazda driver.

Sure enough, we observed the man drive along the street and throw two bags on a nature strip, Sen-Constable Schnerring said.

A slab of Carlton Draught costs about $46, which means over the 18 months the tossed empties totalled 487 slabs worth more than $22,000.

The man could have pocketed as much as $1170 if he had have taken the cans to South Australia for recycling.

When the officers intercepted the driver they feared he would be well over .05.

Our immediate priority was to make sure he wasnt a danger to other road users so we breath-tested him, but he wasnt over the limit, Sen-Constable Schnerring said.

A slab of Carlton Draught costs around $46, which means over the 18 months the tossed empties totalled 487 slabs worth more than $22,000.

We really caught him offguard. He immediately admitted the littering offences and was embarrassed, extremely apologetic and explained his personal circumstances.

The man, in his late 30s, told police that he was on his way to work.

Police fined the man with a single $300 Environment Protection Authority penalty for depositing rubbish from a vehicle and inquiries are continuing.

This was very unusual behaviour, Sen-Constable Schnerring said.

It was very frustrating for the residents of the neat and tidy street. Theyd really had enough.

Glen Waverley police Sergeant Adrian Stafferton said it was a good result for the residents and police.

We were happy to deal with this through proactive policing, he said.

The man will need to face a magistrate if he failed to pay the fine or continued to toss his cans in the street instead of in a recycling bin.

If you need help phone Alcoholics Anonymous on 1300 22 22 22 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

The man could have pocketed as much as $1170 if he had have taken the cans to South Australia for recycling.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

A perfect example of "stupid" being something that cannot be fixed

Nona62
Professor Silent

If you need help phone Alcoholics Anonymous on 1300 22 22 22 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Someone needs to give him this number!!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Nona

Even if he had the number, it seems unlikely he would dial it

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

When I lived in Australia, they had a terrible problem with drunk driving. If I remember correctly they passed some of the toughest laws in the world regarding DUI.

This idiot seem to have a real problem...

Nona62
Professor Silent

You're probably right RIO...

Nona62
Professor Silent

This idiot seem to have a real problem... Ya think??? What a moron....

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    9 years ago

When I was in the Air Force we built an empty beer can half-pyramid (since it was against a wall) in mine and my room-mates apartment. It was, I believe, 18 cans wide across the back lowest layer and came out into the room quite away too, since it was many layers out and tall.

I don't remember if we actually finished it (it was a lot of beer to drink!). Probably not, since we would have thrown a party to celebrate and I don't remember one. I do know that drunken friends fell into it and knocked it down a few times and we had to throw the dented cans out. I wonder what the total number of cans would be if we actually finished it? I do remember when we got tired of the whole thing and hauled all of the cans out to the dumpster (there weren't recycling centers in Grand Forks back then) and the guy who empties the dumpster said he must have missed one hell of a party.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Too bad you don't have pictures of it, and too bad there wasn't recycling back then, you guys could have made a few bucks.