╌>

What Wold You Do??

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  23 comments

What Wold You Do??

What would you do if you discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, is not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to correct the mistake?

Myself, I would not, a bond has already been formed between the child that I have raised, and a bond has been formed between that parent and the child that was biologically mine.

What would you do...and why???

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

There would have to be similarity in appearance for this to happen, but if it did, I think I would react the same as you. A bond will definitely form in a year. As well, think of situations of adoption where the child is older, in which a bond can also be formed. In any case, it is the bonding that would cause you to not want to give up the child.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   9 years ago

I would probably do the same as you Nona.

I would check to be sure that the other (biological) child was in a good home though.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62  replied to  Kavika   9 years ago

Oh yes Kav, make sure that the biological child is in a loving and caring home......definitely!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   9 years ago

Kavika: What would you do, after a year which is the topic, if the bio. child is NOT in a good home?

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Even though this isn't the same scenario. when we adopted our first daughter, for months I was afraid that the biological Mother would change her mind and want my daughter back. I felt that we had bonded very shortly after we adopted her.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

I'm not that hung up with my dna. I would want to know that the child was in a good home, but other than that, I would keep the child I raised as my own for a year. Once that bond is there, it should never be broken. 

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

Perrie, I agree100%...the bond has been formed . I feel it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved.

When we adopted our daughter, her birth mother had 3 months to change her mind, I was a basket case for those 3 months!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nona62   9 years ago

I can totally understand that, Nona, and that is why my sister adopted from Russia. She didn't want the birth mother trying to get my niece back. 

Anyway, being a mother is not about giving birth but everything that happens after that. 

Nona62
Professor Silent

Exactly Perrie We adopted her because I wasn't supposed to get pregnant, but.....almost 4 years later, I gave birth to my youngest daughter....there is no difference in the love I have for either daughter.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Yep, to me the only "win-win" situation would be to become one big happy family.

I never considered that....good thought Dowser!!

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    9 years ago

You are exactly right, Nona. I would make the same choice, and for the same reasons.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62  replied to  deepwaterdon   9 years ago

DD......There is no way I could give up a child that I have nurture and cared for and loved for 1 year!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I don't know what I'd do in these circumstances.  It would be tempting to "adopt" the whole family, so as to keep up with your own child, while loving the one you took home...  Plus, you don't know what the other family would want to do, either.  They may want their own child back, come hell nor high water.  

Yep, to me the only "win-win" situation would be to become one big happy family.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago

Demand an exchange. Don't let the cuckoo win.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    9 years ago

I'm following you.  Now you have to follow me.  There's some sort of glitch glitch glitch glitch.........................

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62  replied to  Nigel Dogberry   9 years ago

I AM following you-you-you!!!waving

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62  replied to  Nigel Dogberry   9 years ago

Child support wasn't mentioned, so, it isn't an issue.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

This scenario is no excuse for charging a male for support for a a child that is not his ...