╌>

Man tries to break into home via chimney, gets stuck, dies after owner lights fire

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  9 years ago  •  10 comments

Man tries to break into home via chimney, gets stuck, dies after owner lights fire

By Fred Barbash, Washington Post | November 30, 2015

A homeowner in Huron, Calif., was just settling in for a nice relaxing afternoon in front of a fire over the weekend when he heard someone yelling from inside the chimney leading from his fireplace.

As his house filled with smoke, he attempted to douse the fire. He summoned the fire department, which worked to dismantle the chimney even as the man was still breathing and moving inside.

But it was too late, and the man died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns, according to the Fresno County Sheriff’s office.

According to the sheriff’s office, the man had attempted to burglarize the house using the chimney for access the night before and had gotten stuck inside. The homeowner was gone at the time, so when he returned home, he had no reason to believe anyone was in the chimney and went ahead and started a fire.

On Sunday, the Fresno County Coroner’s Office identified the deceased individual as Cody Caldwell, 19. The homeowner was not named.
It’s been cold in central California, with temperatures dipping into the 30s at night.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

That guy qualifies for a Darwin Award. He should have been smart enough to wait for Christmas Eve - then milk and cookies would have been laid out to welcome him.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Oh man, he is/was really a front runner for the Darwin Award.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   9 years ago

"The homeowner was gone at the time, so when he returned home, he had no reason to believe anyone was in the chimney and went ahead and started a fire."

On the other hand, maybe he DID know, but there isn't anyone who can complain now, right?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

As I predicted, it didn't take long - only half an hour to push this article off the front page. I see little use in wasting my time posting articles. I might follow NowhereMan's example. That would probably be a relief to the uber-liberals here - not having to waste time boycotting my articles.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   9 years ago

Buzz, I'm liberal on some things, so I don't think anyone is boycotting your articles. I don't boycott any ones articles. I skip a lot because there pure crap.

As for NWM if he can't take the heat he should stay out of the kitchen.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    9 years ago

Nothing like robbing people during the holidays. I guess his chestnuts got roasted so I dedicate this horrible song to him.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1ofmany   9 years ago

Being unable to open YouTube, I would appreciate your telling me the name of the song.

Can I make the assumption that it's "Chestnuts Roasting By The Open Fire"?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   9 years ago

Buzz--the song is "The Christmas Song" but the lyrics begin with "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." Sad that his absence will allow others to have peace and joy for the holidays.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago

It seems like breaking a window would be easier...