╌>

By 2007, 75 percent of all corporate profits were used to buy back their own shares. Forget about R&D, forget about workers’ wages, forget about all that kind of stuff.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  8 years ago  •  17 comments

By 2007, 75 percent of all corporate profits were used to buy back their own shares. Forget about R&D, forget about workers’ wages, forget about all that kind of stuff.

"In the late ’70s, roughly, a new economic philosophy really caught hold in both political parties. It originally came from the right, from Milton Friedman and the free marketeers. Academics call it neoliberalism; in the book, we call it the “Better Business Climate.”

It basically was kind of a simple model. Cut taxes, cut regulations, cut back social spending so people will be more eager to find work and be less dependent on the government, and basically undermine the power of labor unions so the economy would run more on market principles and have less inefficiencies in it. There would be more investment and profits, and therefore, all boats would rise. It would lead to kind of a boom economy. That was the theory. I was in graduate school when that was going on, and it was pretty strong, even more liberal economists were sort of giving up on Keynesianism and going in this direction.

What they didn’t teach us and what they never discussed is that it’s one thing to deregulate trucking or airlines or telecommunications, but it’s quite another thing to deregulate the financial sector. When they started deregulating the financial sector, it put in motion something that we refer to as “financial strip mining.” It’s an incredible, insidious process. It started with a lot of corporate raids – we know call them hedge funds, takeovers, private equity companies – financiers who use a little bit of their own money, borrow a huge amount of money, and start buying up companies. In the deregulated atmosphere they bought up thousands of them over time. The debt that was accumulated to do that was basically put on the company. It’s a little bit like if you went out and bought a car with a loan, instead of you paying back the loan the car pays back the loan. That’s what they were doing.

How did this practice change the way those companies were run?

They changed the way the CEOs were paid, so that the CEO acted in behalf of the Wall Street investors. This was really powerful. In 1980, 95 percent of the CEOs’ pay was salary and bonuses, and five percent was stock incentives. Today, it’s virtually reversed. About 85 to 95 percent is stock incentives, and only five percent is salaries and bonuses. So that means the price of the stock is all that matters to the CEO, and of course that’s all that matters to the investors – the hedge funds, the private equity companies. They want to see the stock go up.

It’s a huge change in corporate culture. Now the CEO cares only about raising the stock. What’s the best way to do that? In workshops, we ask working people and community activists this question, and they start talking about, “Well, you’ve got to create a better product, you want to get more market share,” all of the things you would think would lead in that direction. In fact, they did something else.

There was a rule change in 1982, under Reagan. A guy who was the former Head of E.F. Hutton became head of the Securities and Exchange Commission, and he changed the rule about companies buying back their own shares. Before 1982, it was virtually illegal to do that because it was considered stock manipulation. When a company buys back its own shares, it reduces the number of share owners, and therefore every share is worth a little bit more. If you do this, all things being equal, you’re going to boost the share and manipulate the price. The free market’s not doing it,  you’re  doing it. This guy thought, “Well that’s very efficient. Anyway, competition will even all of that out.”

CEOs and their corporate raider Wall Street partners are thinking, “Oh, this is fantastic. Let’s use the company’s money to raise the price of the share, and then we can cash in on our stock incentives. The outside investors can cash in and leave, ‘pump and dump.’ This is great.”

How prevalent have stock buybacks become, and what are the implications of that?

In 1980, about two percent of a company’s profits were used for stock buybacks. By 2007, 75 percent of all corporate profits were used to buy back their own shares. Forget about R&D, forget about workers’ wages, forget about all that kind of stuff. All that matters to a CEO today is raising the prices of the shares through stock buybacks.

Yesterday, I was at a United Steelworkers meeting and they were very concerned about Carrier moving to Mexico. They’re negotiating and they’ve been making concessions and they still can’t get a deal. It’s a really bad situation. Donald Trump has actually been talking about it as well.

The difference between the negotiations, things are $10 million, $20 million, $30 million dollars. So I quickly go to Google and look up United Technologies, which owns Carrier. In October, United Technologies bought back $9 billion of their own shares. So they’re strip mining the company, and they’re using the worker contracts and the moving to Mexico as a way to generate more cash flow so that they can buy back their own shares. This financial strip mining is phenomenal. The net result is, in 1970 the ratio between a top-100 CEO’s pay and an average worker was 45-to-1. Which is a lot if you think about it this way: if an average worker could afford one car, the CEO could afford 45 cars. Or one home versus 45 homes, or one home that’s 45 times the size of an average worker’s home. We just crunched the numbers again for 2014: it’s 844-to-1. You can’t even conceive of how big that gap is, and it’s a direct result of financial strip mining.

That’s what leads to that acceleration. There’s nothing to stop it now. This is just what they do. When they run out of cash flow to buy back their own shares, they go deeper into debt. They’ll go to the debt market and try to get more money and then turn around and buy back their own shares. This has an incredible effect on virtually every other issue.

How so?

I can just give you one example that really galls me, but it says a lot and shows how many different issues are connected. The Obama administration bailed out the auto industry, and it’s great that they did. The industry was going under due to the Wall Street crash and there was no other reason at all at the time. It was a financial crunch that was taking General Motors under. The guy who negotiated that deal, one of the key negotiators for the Obama administration, left and went to a hedge fund. GM built up a cash cushion because it’s doing better now. I think all of the American people, at the very least, hoped that when GM built up its cash reserves it would do what needed to be done, which is build the best, highest quality, most efficient cars they possibly could for the future generations. This is what we all needed. I think that was the hope.

Well, this guy goes to a hedge fund and takes a position, buys a bunch of shares of GM. And what does it do? It demands that instead of that cash going to R&D, that it goes to the investors through stock buybacks. And about three weeks ago, GM also announced a $9 billion stock buyback plan. It’s shameless financial strip-mining. It does nothing whatsoever for society, but it undermines other goals.

What the book then does is show how this process has huge impact on the public sector. This whole Better Business Climate has a direct connection to the rise of the prison population. So we show how issue after issue is deeply connected to this process of financial strip mining and runaway inequality."

MORE  http://www.salon.com/2016/03/06/its_shameless_financial_strip_mining_les_leopold_explains_how_the_1_percent_killed_the_middle_class/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

So I quickly go to Google and look up United Technologies, which owns Carrier. In October, United Technologies bought back $9 billion of their own shares. So they’re strip mining the company, and they’re using the worker contracts and the moving to Mexico as a way to generate more cash flow so that they can buy back their own shares. This financial strip mining is phenomenal. The net result is, in 1970 the ratio between a top-100 CEO’s pay and an average worker was 45-to-1. Which is a lot if you think about it this way: if an average worker could afford one car, the CEO could afford 45 cars. Or one home versus 45 homes, or one home that’s 45 times the size of an average worker’s home. We just crunched the numbers again for 2014: it’s 844-to-1. You can’t even conceive of how big that gap is, and it’s a direct result of financial strip mining.

Which of the presidential candidates have talked about this? To the best of my knowledge none of them have. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

"Which of the presidential candidates have talked about this? To the best of my knowledge none of them have.

Why haven't they talked about this? Well, because its a red herring! (Too bad Badfish isn't around-- because he's an expect on red herrings-- in fact, even if the particular fish involved is a "herring of another colour", to mint a phrase).

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

Here is a recent video of Les Leopold :

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    8 years ago

Economically as long as this continues we are slitting our throats on the world market. The Chinese are taking all of the money we spend on our products that we have built in their nation and investing it in R&D. They're also hacking into our corporations computer systems and stealing our ideas and development from what little R&D we are still doing to get a jump on us without us even having to send our jobs to them and pay them a cut.

Instead of all boats raising at the same time, only the yachts did and the smaller boats were washed down under a sunk in the wake.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    8 years ago

In a free market society, a corporation, a privately held company or other type business should be able to use their "profit" as they see fit - so long as they are compliant with tax laws and business regulations in existence at the time the profits are achieved.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Robert in Ohio   8 years ago

It is corrupt. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

John

You obviously do not know the definition of corrupt -

Corrupt - having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain.

If they are compliant with tax laws and business regulations (as I note in my comment and you ignore) they are not acting dishonestly.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Robert in Ohio   8 years ago

corrupt  - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

corrupt

If someone or something is  corrupt , they’re broken morally or in some other way.  Corrupt  people perform immoral or illegal acts for personal gain, without apology ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I will stand by what I said, and leave it at that. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

That something or someone acts contrary to personal, bizarre though it may be, moral code does not ake them corrupt.

I admire you for standing by what you say even when it is wrong