[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

"kaveria ei jateta" - "never leave a friend behind"

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Having done a bit of diving and caving, what they tried is a 100 on a scale of 1 to 10...Extremely dangerous.

It is so very easy to panic in a difficult situation. I admire what they did in getting their friends bodies out, but as the British diver said, it should have never happened in the first place.

They will have to deal with that, but they indeed are men who would not leave there friends behind. For that they deserve a hell of a lot of credit.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

I have never been diving and the idea of being in a tight space in a cave even not underwater scares the hell out of me. The idea the the accident happened on a 5 hour dive in the cave was incredible enough, but the idea of organizing a team of other professional divers, especially several who didn't even know the deceased or their friends, to make the dive to recover the two bodies of the diver who died was real courage! All because they couldn't stand the idea of the bodies of two cave divers being left behind.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

As Kavika, I have done diving and spelunking and can speak of some of the potential horrors.  Once while spelunking in Missouri, alone (something a spelunker knows NEVER to do), I got trapped in a narrow passage way.  Spent four hours lying still 'til my body and mind melded and I was able to free myself.  Never put myself in that situation again.  Yes Randy, that scared the shit outta me - haven't been spelunking again.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

We have a hell of a lot of caves here in Missouri, 1st.

There is a fair amount of diving in Table Rock Lake, and some dangers. Last year we lost a diver at 150 ft.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Spelunking was done at/on Fort Leonard Wood while dad was stationed there.  Used my Harley Hummer to get back into the hills to find the caves.

Never did wet suit.  Only went as far as Nitros and only down to 110.  But, 30 minutes at that depth with the two leveling stages coming back up were gorgeous.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

I was really fortunate I have dived all over the South Pacific, Micronesia, SE Asia and Australia. Some of the most wonderful dives in the world. The Coral Coast of Fiji is one of the best.

Diving in the Pacific we would stumble on WWII wreckage, which was always exciting.

I did some night diving off the coast of Kona, Hawaiii...In 30 to 50 feet water with a spotlight and anchored myself to the bottom and the Manta Rays would come in drawn my the lights from a restaurant. The light would draw the plankton and that would draw in the Rays. I have a tape of one of my dives. There is nothing like seeing a Giant Manta Ray heading right for you and the light, and at the last second they would pull up over your head. More than one time I felt them brush against my head.

That gets the blood pumping.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I've never been diving, though we are going to Mexico this October on a cruise and (my wife thinks I'm crazy. (as usual)), but I'm thinking of snorkeling for the first time when we're in Cabo. I can't swim, but they (the cruise ship tour people) say that there are tours that have way to do it without being a swimmer, where you have a companion from the company who will help you. It's on my bucket list and I'll be 60 in July so I don't want to wait long. I'm still hoping to be near a whale live in the wild too. Another bucket list item to check off.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

Yes Randy, that scared the shit outta me - haven't been spelunking again.

That's one of the reasons why I never tried it. The idea of being trapped, where I'm suck in a narrow passage or tunnel, underground scares the hell of of me. I don't really think I'm claustrophobic, more like underground-phobic. I have seen films of Vietnam of the men who went into the tunnels to hunt out the Vietcong, but I'm thinking the being in the tunnel itself would scare me more then running into the enemy. I take my hat off to that kind of raw bravery. They deserve their own special kind of medal just for being willing to do that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   8 years ago

There was a movie made on the ''Tunnel Rats'' of Vietnam, Randy.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

That's balls. I mean not just because of the tunnel too, but being in a trapped space and suddenly you're almost nose to nose with someone who wants to kill you. During WWII in the Pacific they'd just light it up with a flame thrower and move on.