Article Photo

Independence of Animal Forms

Article Photo

The Dreamer

Article Photo

Mother and Child

Article Photo

The Artist Himself

Although I had been representing First Nation musicians and poets for a few years, I had not yet met any First Nation painter-artists, until I received a telephone call from a gallery owner who had heard of my relationship with some of Canadas natives. He had met with Norval Morrisseau, and wanted to enter into an agency agreement with him. Knowing that it was necessary for Morrisseau to have legal representation he asked if I would be willing to act for the artist. I did, and was introduced to Morrisseau. My familiarity with and service to Canadian natives stood me in good stead, and Morrisseau and I were simpatico. The artist was not often simpatico with others, as I will relate here.

I recall one time when the wife of my partner in my firm wanted to buy one of Morrisseaus paintings, so my partner, his wife and I drove up to the reservation in central Ontario where the artist lived. When we got to his home, I told the artists assistant that I had brought my partners wife who would like to see some artworks with the intention of purchasing one. I could then hear Morrisseau shouting that no women were to enter his house. He told his assistant that only I was welcome to come in. When I got inside I could see that he was only partly dressed, and a little inebriated. I told him that he could make some money by letting the woman see some works, but he was adamant but finally allowed my partner to come in, so that he could pick out a painting, which he did. I never knew if it was one which his wife liked. In Morrisseaus very early days, he had been known to sell his paintings for a bottle of liquor, but at least he was now being properly compensated for his artistry.

He became quite famous in Canada, achieving much acclaim and awards, as you can read in the article about him by clicking this link:

http://www.norvalmorrisseau.com/about.htm

Eventually I retired from my practice, and lost touch with him. Because I had moved to China, I didnt know he had died a few years back until I saw a news article about it. He was certainly one of my most interesting and talented clients. I have always valued the memories of my conversations with him about shamans and spirituality, the importance of the environment and the symbolism of its creatures concepts and things that are much more respected and cherished by native people, than by those who came to Canada later.

A good description of Morrisseau in a nutshell is from Wikipedia:

Norval Morrisseau , CM (March 14, 1932 December 4, 2007), [1\ also known as Copper Thunderbird , was an Aboriginal Canadian artist . Known as the " Picasso of the North", Morrisseau created works depicting the legends of his people, the cultural and political tensions between native Canadian and European traditions, his existential struggles, and his deep spirituality and mysticism . His style is characterized by thick black outlines and bright colors. He founded the Woodlands School of Canadian art and was a prominent member of the Indian Group of Seven .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

This is another article that I posted on a group so that it may not have been seen by many members. Norval was an Ojibwe, and I knew many great artists, poets and musicians who were Ojibwe. I was lucky to have some of his great works, but they are now in the possession of my ex-wife. However, they are earmarked to be inherited by my son who is appreciative of spirituality, and as it could be represented by art.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

I love looking at Norval work, you can never post them enough times for me Buzz.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Buzz

The stories behind these pieces are likely as beautiful as the artwork itself

Thanks for sharing.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Happy to post beautiful works of art anytime - sure beats some of the ugly things usually filling the front page.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    9 years ago

Nice....kind of whimsical and very colorful! Thanks Buzz!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I think I'll do an article on a famous group of Canadian artists called The Group of Seven and Tom Thomson - their works have unique styles as well. Probably the most famous Canadian painting is one called "The West Wind" (not The West Wing LOL) painted by Tom Thomson:

1213_discussions.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Here's a question for nature lovers. Which shore of the lake is the tree standing on? I know, but if you know, explain why.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Buzz

Interesting picture and I looked it up there is a lot of information about this picture, its origin and location. Several theories it seems - Cedar Lake, Grand Lake and Kawawaymog Lake among them.

I also found out that the tree has been on a stamp.

Very cool!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Yes, ROI, I've seen that information as well. You might have seen that the other painting by Thomson that is also famous is "The Jack Pine" which has also been depicted on a stamp.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

These are truly beautiful, and how wonderful that you knew the artist! I love this work!

Great article and pictures, Buzz!