╌>

For the Love of Antique "Woody" Boats

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  9 years ago  •  23 comments

By Buzz of the Orient

1221_discussions.jpg

When I was in my early teens my parents would take me on their summer vacations to a resort in Gravenhurst, on Muskoka Lake in central Ontario. It was called The Gateway, and it was a kind of poor mans copy of the big summer resorts in the Catskills, like Grossingers or The Concorde. Interestingly, The Gateway had previously been used as a prison camp for WW 2 German officers, and still had at least one watchtower standing, and some barbed wire here and there. For sure no Great Escape tunnels could be dug through the granite rock base common in that area. Some of my most memorable passing of age experiences were there, the most memorable being in the back seat of my fathers 1952 Hudson Hornet. The Muskoka Lakes were famous for their antique woody boats, although in those days they werent so antique. I fell in love with those boats, although I never did (or could) own one.

The cottages on the Muskoka lakes were accessed by small steamships called the Sagamo and the Segwun for many years until roads were built. Here is a Wiki description:

"RMS Segwun is the oldest operating steam driven vessel in North America, built in 1887 to cruise the Muskoka Lakes in the District of Muskoka, Ontario Canada, a resort area with many lakes and rivers. Early in the 20th century Muskoka was poorly served by roads. Vacationers were transported to lodges, or private cottages, via a fleet of steamships, including the Segwun.

Most of these vessels on the Muskoka Lakes were broken up or lost to fire, when roads were built. The Segwun, and the fleet's former flagship, the RMS Sagamo, the last two remaining vessels in service, were retired in 1958 and Segwun spent decades moored at the Town Dock in Gravenhurst.

Gravenhurst was the birthplace of a Canadian who achieved great fame, not in Canada, but in China. Dr. Norman Bethunes name (the Chinese pronounce it by-tchuen) is known by virtually every Chinese student. There are streets, hospitals and medical schools named after him in China, and statues erected in his memory in many cities. He was the subject of an essay written by Chairman Mao in his Little Red Book, wherein Mao grieved upon his death. Bethune had gone to the front lines during the Japanese incursion and set up mini-hospitals, taught others medical procedures and performed countless operations saving the lives of many Chinese soldiers and civilians, while his own life was constantly in danger. However, I digress, so back to boats.

My favourites were the rounded Greavette boats. I had the privilege of having a Minett descendant as a client, and spent many hours with him talking about his grandfathers boat-building company. The long, narrow, wooden boats were always a fascination for me. In fact there are still similar boats used by the Toronto Harbour police. They are very expensive toys to purchase, maintain and run, but there are some pretty rich people with summer homes on the Muskoka group of lakes. As well, on those lakes there are many million dollar cottages, and quite a few Americans own summer homes there (which will explain why some of the boat pictures I have included have American flags). Goldie Hawn and her husband Kurt Russell have a summer mansion on one of the lakes.

Although I am getting pretty old now, and some of my dreams are most likely unattainable, if I were ever to win the big lottery, I would buy one of those Muskoka lakes cottages and at least one of those beautiful, graceful, antique wooden boats. They hold regattas of those boats there, and I think if I were at one I would feel like a kid in a candy store. Here are a number of photos of the types of boats of which I speak.

The Segwun Steamship

1948 Shepherd 17 ft

1935 Greavette 23 ft

1934 Minett-Shields 21 ft

1936 25 ft Ditchburn

1955 Shepherd 24 ft

1949 Chris Craft 22 ft

1921 Ditchburn 21 ft

1955 Chris Craft Cobra - very rare

1929 William Johnston 22 ft

1932 Ditchburn 23 ft

1929 MInett-Shields 38 ft

1947 Greavette 24 ft

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

There are some articles I posted previously on groups, but I thought the general membership should get to see them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Love the photos Buzz. The ''Woody'' boats are a favorite of mine. Classic but hell to maintain.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It was a dream of mine if I had ever become really rich to buy a place on the Muskoka Lakes and to own a beautiful Greavette.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Buzz

I always wanted one of those wooden classics

There is a guy down the road a bit that is restoring one and my wife has figured out that I have my eye on it so I guess her eye will be on the checkbook as it gets closer to being finished.

Beautiful pictures.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

There could be some sleepyheads in America who have not yet seen this.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6    9 years ago

I have an antique woody!

Oh, didn't see "boat" right away, sorry.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I had a wooden boat one time.

mOlvlK801PqAacaH0U7exrg.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

They really take a lot of work and money to maintain. My motorboat was fibreglass - no maintenance problem.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Of the photos I posted, flame, which one would you choose to own if you could? I want the 1947 Greavette 24 foot, the bottom photo.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    9 years ago

I own a wooden boat...of sorts. (Its actually more of like a surfboard with a sail). Nothing like some these beauties (in Buzz' photos).

Many people may have heard of a Sunfish:

200px-Sunfish_rigged_for_sailing.jpg

The Sunfish is much bigger than a surfboard. It has a dugout where people can put their legs.

It can fit up to 3 people:

sunfish.jpg

These are very popular.

But mine is smaller. It can only hold 2 people (If you try putting 3 people on it, it capsizes!)

Krishna
Professor Expert

The one I have is called a Sailfish. Much smaller and lighter than a Sunfish. Two people can carry it, flip it over, and put it on a car top carrier!

(I don't think they make them any more).

sailfish16.jpg

As you can see, sailfishes are pretty small. No comfortable seating-- you sit sideways, with your butt on against one of those small brown word "railings, your heels against the other railing.That front round hole is of course for the mast, the long narrow hole aft of that is for a daggerboard (centerboard)-- a primitive keel of sorts. There is a rudder, in this picture is not attached-- you can see part of it lying on the ground behind the sail.

Its fun to sail! There's no way to set the sail-- you have to constantly hold the main sheet (sail rope) in one hand, and the tiller in your other hand. If you let go of either you go adrift. You are actually fairly active when sailing it- you can't relax and have a glass of wine...not a god boat for a picnic!

Here's what sailing it looks like:

Super_Sailfish_MK-II_c1963.jpg

(None of these are picts of my boat,they are all googled)

Krishna
Professor Expert

My other boat is slightly larger, and is motorized, not wind powered:

article-2279327-179EEA0C000005DC-702_638x368.jpg

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    9 years ago

I think everyone of them are beautiful, but I don't want any of them. I don't need any more work to do. They're kind of like an old Harley that is in perfect condition. The job is keeping it that way. How can you pick one? I just think of all the work that went into building each one of these boats.

Krishna
Professor Expert

They are really beautiful.

I've known people who had beautiful wooden boats like these, also somewhat larger boats for sports finishing. (The kind that sleeps, maybe, 4 people).I remarked that some of them required a nice sum of money to buy. He said the real expense in many cases is not buying the boat, but rather the upkeep. (On the smaller ones you can do a ot of te work yourself-- very time-consuming. Or you can hire people...)

A saying amongst boat owners:

Definition of a boat: a hole in the water into which you pour money

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Ha! That makes me think of people who put a bumper sticker on the back of a VW Beetle that says "My other car is a Rolls Royce".

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Buzz

I could be happy with a fiberglass one so long as it looked these do

Kavika
Professor Principal

My style of boat. Crackerbox racing, Long Beach Marina..Long Beach CA. when I was still young.

140802_00093-1024x685.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal

That's exactly what it is flame. But man, is it fun.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

What beautiful boats, Buzz! They're wonderful, and so well cared for! Taking care of teak is not easy!

Telo
Freshman Silent
link   Telo    7 years ago

Beautiful boats but I would be so afraid of anything happening to them that I'd never want to put it in the water unless I had a private lake.