╌>

The Cringe-worthy Rohingya migrant crisis - Why is the world silent? (video)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  9 years ago  •  21 comments

The Cringe-worthy Rohingya migrant crisis -  Why is the world silent? (video)

The Rohingyas - a distinct Muslim ethnic group who are effectively stateless - have been fleeing Myanmar for decades.

But why are thousands now stranded at sea? And how are Myanmar's neighbours responding?

BBC News explains, in 90 seconds.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    9 years ago

The Rohingyas - a distinct Muslim ethnic group who are effectively stateless - have been fleeing Myanmar for decades.

But why are thousands now stranded at sea? And how are Myanmar's neighbours responding?

And why do the self-appointed "human rights avocates" ignore the plight of these people?

Krishna
Professor Expert

Remember-- these people are actually ...Muslims!

So now do you think its cringe-worthy?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
Not yet. I am ignorant with respect to this issue.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    9 years ago

I have posted at least two articles about these people... possibly three, Krish. Never receive more than a handful of comments about them.

Malaysia has been the country where they wash up and Malaysia has refused to rescue them unless other countries agree to take responsibility for giving them asylum immediately upon conclusion of their health check and in some instances, without a health check. They do not want them settling in Malaysia.

One other country agreed to take a small number of them, and Obama agreed that the US would take the entire remaining horde. Thousands of them are arriving constantly and no one wants to send them back... they don't have the balls. All they know is "Not in my country you don't!"

The EU is sick and tired of providing for them and has no idea of how to stop them coming. Of course, the solution is simple... just turn them around and send them back. Nothing else will work. We sure as hell can't keep taking them in along with every other dysfunctional country's unwanted unskilled rigidly religious we-throw-them-in-the-sea-if-they-are-not-of-Islam refugees who refuse to assimilate into established societies.

The EU started this open door policy mess and now they are turning tail and expecting America to clean up after them. And Malaysia? Well, they are willing to let them drown in the sea rather than give them a toe hold in their country.

And the UN still focuses on Israel as the demon in the sand pile of the Middle East.

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    9 years ago

Some (very little, but It Gives a jumping off place at least) information on the Rohingyas , from October 26, 2012.

Religious Violence. Link .

New sectarian violence is erupting in western Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, between Buddhist Rakhinese and Rohingya Muslims. It's turned very deadly: reports say more than 100 people from both groups are dead and 1,000 homes have been burned down.

Authorities declared a state of emergency in Rakhine state, according to CNN . It's the worst ethnic violence to break out there since June when clashes between both sides killed about 90 people and demolished several houses.

The enmity between Myanmar Buddhists and the Rohingya Muslims stretches back decades. The U.N. says the Rohingya are effectively stateless. Despite the fact they make up nearly all of the northern part of Rakhine state's population, Myanmar authorities refuse to recognize them, because they're considered illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.

No surprise that no one wants them, they are like the Kurds in 1990's Iraq and Turkey. They have no money and no state.

More links here .

Krishna
Professor Expert

Comment removed for CoC violation. [oh]

Freshman Silent

More background on the Rohingyas from the BBC. Link

As many as 8,000 migrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar are believed by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to be stranded at sea.

The Thai government has recently begun to crack down on smugglers who have traditionally taken them to camps in southern Thailand and effectively held them ransom. As a result the smugglers are now reportedly abandoning them at sea. Not only are countries in the region unwilling to let them land, fishermen are being told not to help them.

Freshman Silent

Absolutely, Krish. It is appalling that any segment of population could be treated with such apparent disdain.

Krishna
Professor Expert

The media doesn't cover it much because its hard to find a way to blame it on Israel. Myanmar is very far away. (Most people know nothing about Burma, so I can tell you to think of Burma. Same country-- name has changed).

I've been seeding articles abut this cringe-worth situation for a while-- but no one seems to care about genocide when they can't mould it into their feeble-minded hate-filled agendas.

Krishna
Professor Expert

I've been seeding articles about Myanmar for years. (I still have open accts on at least 5 or so sites-- including the notorious LGF! ). This probably explains it best-- I highly recommend taking a few minutes to read the seeded article (and ignore any a$$holic trolls who comment here -- without having any idea what they're talking about-- ignore these morons):

Myamar Policy's Message to Muslims: Get out!

Muslims cry after losing their homes in recent violence in Thapyuchai village, outside of Thandwe in the Rakhine state on Oct 2, 2013. Photo: Reuters

The Myanmar government has given the estimated one million Rohingya people in this coastal region of the country a dispiriting choice: Prove your familly has lived here for more than 60 years and qualify for second-class citizenship, or be placed in camps and face deportation.

---> LINK

HTH.

Freshman Silent

Who really gives a shit if it is his first or his millionth?

Krishna
Professor Expert

Absolutely, Krish. It is appalling that any segment of population could be treated with such apparent disdain.

Well, they have a problem-- since Myanmar is so far from Israel, its hard to make a case that its all Israel's fault!

Did you see all the coverage in the media about what happened to Gaza in the recent war?

Compare that to the coverage the Rohingya get. Its a really interesting commentary on the objectivity (or rather lack there of) of the media.

And of course the Rohingya didn't cause any problems-- they weren't firing rockets at anyone, nor blowing themselves up on civilian buses.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Thanks-- great links!

Freshman Silent

It is patently Myanmar's fault for not recognizing a group of people who have apparently been living in Myanmar for centuries. Just another version of ethnic cleansing.

Israel has nothing to do with this.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    9 years ago

Obama said we would take them. He hasn't said where we will put them.

If the entire population of this ethnic group are being expelled from their home and no other country will accept them, we need to negotiate with Myanmar to just go in and evacuate them humanely and bring them directly to the US and establish them somewhere.

And do it right for Pete's sake... not stick them in some urban world totally strange and alien where they have no hope of coping, like Detroit or Chicago. Give them some huge abandoned army base in one of the arid states and let them make a village for themselves, give them time to adapt to a strange new world.

Just go get them all and be done with it. This leaving them floating on the sea in limbo is totally in humane and what's the point? Be proactive instead of reactive for a change.

Krishna
Professor Expert

It is patently Myanmar's fault for not recognizing a group of people who have apparently been living in Myanmar for centuries. Just another version of ethnic cleansing.

Israel has nothing to do with this.

Of course they don't.And that's exactly my point.

Long ago I wondered why anytime there are actions against Arabs, the press goes into a feeding frenzy about the injustice. Yet other equally horrendous (or even worse) human rights abuses get little coverage. And the discrepancies are significant. I wondered why.

Initially I thought it was because of who the victims were. The media was biased re: certain groups.

But after a long time I realized it was more a case of who the perps were (or, often, the alleged perps). A light bulb went off!

For example, I wathed endless coverage of the Gaza war . The social edia was delunged with comments about Gaza. But Assad's war in Syria, with over 200,000 casulaties, has been given little coverage-- so it produces few if any protests. (And, BTW, the most horrendous atrocities vs civilians-- such as mass rape and being skinned alive are relatiely common in Syria).

Why the difference? In bth cases most victims are Muslims?

Well, its because of who the perps are...

Ditto the Rohingya. Little media coverage compared to anything done by Israel (even if one Palestinian is injured by an Israeli-- the media has a field day. But Myanmar?)

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

Who is [oh] ? Is that a moderator ?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    9 years ago

How much can you tell me about the Myanmar situation without looking it up on Google.

A fair question would be how much could you ? (devil's advocate)

ArkansasHermit
Freshman Silent
link   ArkansasHermit    9 years ago

How about offering themsanctuary in thatbarley used space in & aroundNorthern California / Southern Oregon?

I'm sure that an infusion of folk, grateful toour Government for saving their lives, would be welcomed with open arms by the people already living there in that sparsely populated area.

All snark aside Screminmini, I agree with you completely.

We really should try to make room for a people in such a desperit situation, as we once did for the Veitname refuges, (the Boat People),when they needed our help after the war.

Talk about getting back to our Nations roots & honoring thevision of our founding fathers.

"A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!""

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

(FWIW, tJhis was seeded 2 years ago)

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

It was seeded two years ago and the crisis has only gotten worse. 

There is an article active on the FP right now regarding this issue, Kirsh.