╌>

13 Ancient Villages Discovered in Wyoming Mountains May Redraw Map of Tribal Migrations

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  kavika  •  8 years ago  •  10 comments

13 Ancient Villages Discovered in Wyoming Mountains May Redraw Map of Tribal Migrations

This iframe is not allowed

High in the alpine forests of northwestern Wyoming , archaeologists have discovered more than a dozen villages dating back over 2,000 years, a find that could alter our understanding of the scope of human habitation in the ancient West, as well as the histories and migrations of the people who lived there.

And although the discovery of these sites was in many ways unexpected, the scientists who found them actually predicted they would be there.

The villages were found across more than 300 square kilometers in Wyoming’s Wind River Range, at elevations over 3,200 meters, making some of them the highest prehistoric sites ever found in Wyoming — and possibly the oldest high-altitude settlements found anywhere in North America.

The sites are replete with artifacts like groundstones, projectile points, and pottery, plus pipes and other wares carved out of soapstone. They also feature several — sometimes as many as 70 — stone-lined circular platforms hewn out of the mountain slopes: the foundations of wooden “superstructures” thought to have been lodges.

Judging by the settlements’ lofty location, along with their architectural features and artifacts, archaeologists believe they were built by early Numic-speaking peoples, the mountain-dwelling ancestors of the diverse but related tribes that today include the Comanche, Ute, Shoshone and Northern Paiute.

Wind River Wyoming
An archaeologist screens for artifacts at the site of a prehistoric village in Wyoming’s Wind River Range. [Image (C) Matthew Stirn]

“In archaeological research, mountains have generally been overlooked as fringes, boundaries, and marginal landscapes,” said Matthew Stirn of the University of Sheffield in an interview. He announced the discovery in a recent study published in the Journal of Archaeological Science .

“When we came across [these] villages in the Winds, it proved that not only did family groups live for long periods of time in the mountains, it also showed that this practice occurred rather consistently for several thousand years throughout prehistory.”

As important as the newly found villages are, they were not the first to be discovered in the Wind River Range, Stirn noted.

In 2006, Dr. Richard Adams of Colorado State University and his team found a prehistoric village at 3,500 meters above sea level, with evidence of more than 65 residential structures.

Dubbed High Rise Village, the site featured artifacts and traces of lodges dating over at least 2,500 continuous years, opening up a new frontier of high-altitude archaeology in the intermountain West.

Stirn was part of the team that found High Rise Village, and in the following two years he and Adams, along with Bryon Schroeder of Montana State University, discovered five more villages in the mountain range that dated to around the same era.

Numic projectile points from Wind River Range, Wyoming
Projectile points found at the sites of prehistoric lodges are indicative of Numic-speaking groups, the ancestors of modern Ute, Comanche and Paiute bands, archaeologists say. (Courtesy Matthew Stirn)
[Read about more villages that were recently discovered: “ Twin 1,300-Year-Old Villages Discovered in Arizona Sand Dunes “]

“Much to our surprise, the high elevations of the Winds were more dense archaeologically than their surrounding lowlands,” Stirn said.

But perhaps more importantly, he added, “it was immediately apparent that the sites were situated in a distinct pattern.”

Specifically, he said, all of the villages were located in or near stands of whitebark pine trees, which are prolific producers of nutritious nuts. The lodge sites also contained an unusual abundance of tools, like groundstones, that have typically been associated with processing foods like pine nuts.

So Stirn set out to develop a model to predict the location of more, similar villages.

He first determined all of the main traits that the newfound villages had in common — namely, that they were positioned on south-facing, sunny slopes near whitebark pine stands above 3,200 meters in elevation.

This iframe is not allowed

Then, using Landsat satellite imagery, Stirn and his colleagues identified whitebark pine stands in the northern Winds that best fit their model’s description.

And in 2010, with the backing of the Explorer’s Club and the Abernethey Research Foundation, they lit out to investigate the sites predicted to be mostly likely to host prehistoric settlements.

In the end, each of the 13 areas they surveyed revealed traces of ancient villages — the remains of lodges, soapstone relics, and nut-milling tools associated with the lifeways of ancient Numic-speaking peoples.

[Learn about the discovery of important Ute sites: “ Hundreds of 19th-Century Wickiups Recorded in Colorado Mountains “]

But these sites posed a new quandary: Judging by the artifacts, the newly found villages appear to date to around the heyday of High Rise Village — about 2,000 to 2,500 years ago. But this is centuries older than — and the sites are thousands of kilometers away from — the only other Numic mountain villages known to exist, in Nevada and California .

Those sites farther West, first discovered in the 1980s, betrayed the same influences of Numic culture — including what Stirn describes as “the exact same tool kits” found in Wind River for processing pine nuts and other foods.

Considering that the Numic family of languages extends from Southern California up to Wyoming and Montana , it was conjectured at the time that the culture may have originated in these Southwestern mountains and migrated East.

Numic soapstone bowl
Fragments of a bowl made from soapstone, or steatite, are another sign of Numic culture. (Courtesy Matthew Stirn)

But the California and Nevada villages were only around 1,400 years old, some 600 to 1,100 years younger than the sites in the Wind River Range.

“If the Numic spread originated in California and moved to Wyoming, how come the Wyoming sites are older than those in California?” Stirn asked.

“It has since been proposed … that the discovery of earlier villages in Wyoming provide evidence that the Numic spread might have occurred in the opposite direction.”

It could be, in other words, that mountain villages throughout the West could offer what Stirn calls “an archaeological roadmap” that plots the spread of Numic language.

[Read about similar, potentially history-rewriting discoveries in the Southwest: “ Long-Hidden Sites Discovered in the Southwest May Change Views of Ancient Migrations “]

“More corroborating evidence would be necessary to prove this, but for the time being, it is a very thought provoking possibility,” he said.

Excavation of the Wind River villages will help fill in the great missing gaps in the map of Numic history. For now, Stirn said, their discovery reveals the tremendous, and largely overlooked, potential of high-altitude archaeology to rewrite entire chapters of Western American history.

“Since 2006, we have surveyed roughly 800 miles and recorded well over a thousand sites and artifacts above 10,500 feet in Wyoming,” he said.

“This is very exciting, as it suggests that the mountains played an integral role in prehistory and have been frequented by humans consistently for thousands of years.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     8 years ago

Along with villages discovered in Montana in the 10,000 foot elevation range, a completely new area of discovery is being investigated.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I wonder if they're including the tipi rings in the Gros Ventre mountain range...  It was up pretty high, but I don't know the exact elevation...  

Utterly fascinating!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

''I wonder if they're including the tipi rings in the Gros Ventre mountain range''. I don't believe so Dowser.

Happy that you enjoyed the article.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

They were just below the snow line.  The valley was terraced, so it was on the tier below the snowline.  I always wondered why no one ever archaeologically excavated the area.  It was obviously an archaeological site.  And pretty high up, too!!!  I mean, in the valley, they only had 30 days of frost-free weather per year, so it was pretty high up!

If I could find my topo maps, I could give you the approximate elevation and location...  But of course, they are likely long gone...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Oh it would be so exciting to be involved in something like this. 

Dowser, maybe this site could be beneficial to you since you can't find you topo maps.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

Although this was a recent discovery it "makes sense" from a social stability standpoint . Mountainous regions are hard to invade . Thanks for posting this KVK !

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Your welcome petey. Your suggestion is certainly a possibility.

There were a number of village in the mountains of Montana that we discovered above the 10,000 foot range.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    8 years ago

Some of these people may have been driven to higher elevations by hostile humans (as Petey suggests) and/or by a need to avoid dangerous predators. North America Ice age predators were ferocious. Saber-tooth cats weighed up to 600 lbs and hunted in the woods. The American lion weighed up to 800 lbs and hunted on the plains and grasslands. Then there was the American cheetah, the dire wolf, and the short-faced bear (whose preferred diet isn't all that clear). All of these creatures required large game to survive and that game became more and more scarce at the end of the ice age so they would have been scavenging smaller prey. The mountains would offer caves for shelter, water sources, less large game with less large predators hanging around, and lots of big rocks to throw (hopefully downward) at a predator's head.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

I'll look for the title of the book, but, Michael and Katherine Gear wrote a story about this back in the 90's.  I'm wanting to say it was "People of the Fire" or "People of the Earth".

They are both archaeologists, well known in their field, and their books are based on the various discoveries they have been teamed with.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

They wrote/are writing a whole series of novels, titled "First North Americans" starting in 1990 and continuing into 2012.

18 novels total, I hope he write more in the series... (nothing since 2012)

Listed in timeline order..... (pub year following)

1. People of the Wolf (13,000 BC) (1990)
  2. People of the Nightland (13,000 BC) (2007)
  3. People of the Raven (9,000 BC) (2004)
  4. People of the Sea (8,000 BC) (1993)
  5. People of the Fire (8,000 BC) (1990)
  6. People of the Lightning (7,000 BC) (1995)
  7. People of the Earth (5,000 BC) (1992)
  8. People of the Owl (1500 BC) (2003)
  9. People of the Lakes (100 AD) (1994)
  10. People of the Masks (1000 AD) (1998)
  11. People of the Silence (1130 AD) (1996)
  12. People of the Moon (1150 AD Concludes Silence) (2005)
  13. People of the River (1200 AD) (1992)
  14. People of the Mist (1200 AD) (1997)
  15. People of the Weeping Eye (1200 AD) (2008)
  16. People of the Thunder (1200 AD Concludes Weeping Eye) (2009)
  17. People of the Longhouse (1400 AD) (2010)
  18. People of the Black Sun (1400 AD Concludes Longhouse) (2012)

I haven't read them all, but I really liked "People of the Sea"; People of the Raven; and People of the Longhouse/Black Sun.

Many of them are OOP and hard to find. I stumbled on "Sea" in a second hand bookstore and went back and got "Raven" after finishing Sea.

Longhouse/Black Sun I picked up from B&N.

Great reads all of them. (even if they are Novels, I would recommend them as much as I offer "Once an Eagle", (the book not the horrible Mini-Series), also a great novel, to the military crowd)

As I find them in the 2nd hand bookstores I grab them.