TRAIN-ing …

1locomotivelehighgorgescenicrailwayjimthorpepennsylvaniagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

1upperlevelbrooklynbridgec1900agurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

redcabooserailroadcaragurmankin.jpg

The quote is mine … but I'm not sure it applies to anyone but myself.

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

1redcabooserailroadcaragurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G

Best Look at this Link

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

All aboard … get on track …

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I love the old trains, like the one pictured here!  My Grandpa was a telegraph operator for the old Louisville & Nashville line, and I used to love to go with him to see the trains...

I miss their whistles in the night, and the crashes of the cars coupling at the freight house.  I miss the chuff-chuff-chuff sounds they made.  A lot of nostalgia there in that picture, which is lovely!  Thanks for the picture!!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Love photos of trains, ancient, old and new.

I do have some wonderful stories about my adventures with trains.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Tell us, please!!!  I love your stories!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I will post more "old train" pix tomorrow.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Little Levi is going to love this article Mac.  I think you just got a new 4 yea old friend.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I think you just got a new 4 yea old friend.

In that case, let's get chugging along.

I posted a second image, a restoration … a "triple-header' so-to-speak … I hope Levi likes, in addition to trains, trolley cars, horse-drawn wagons and elevated trains.

This particular image is one my my favorite restorations.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I never knew there was an upper level, and I've been on that bridge a lot!  Thanks for the restored picture!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Another one for Levi … not wishing to fall behind, I have posted a CABOOSE image. 

I'd be interested to know if the quote below the image is just my delusion, or, a somewhat universal thought.

Going out for coffee … more train pix for Levi (and anyone else who likes them) to come.

TTGA
Professor Silent

He especially liked the caboose, Mac.  Thanks to Thomas the Train, he knows exactly what a caboose is for and would love to ride on one.  I'll bet he starts working on his dad to take a trip to Pennsylvania this summer.  He also knows about the caboose because the town's historical museum in the town where he lives (about 15 miles from here) is the old railroad station, and there's a restored caboose sitting in front of it.  I think that we'll leave a little early this afternoon, when we go to meet his brother and sisters coming home from school, and stop off to get some pictures.  If I get some good ones, I'll post them here.

Meanwhile, these are a couple I got back in 2010 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  Feel free to work on them if you think that they can be improved (I'm sure they can, what little skill I now have wasn't very well developed back then).

DCP_0085.JPG

DCP_0086.JPG

DCP_0087.JPG

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

He also knows about the caboose because the town's historical museum in the town where he lives (about 15 miles from here) is the old railroad station, and there's a restored caboose sitting in front of it. 

There is a somewhat oft-cited quote that speaks to this … if I have another caboose image to post, I'll include it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

LOVE the pictures!!!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

As per TTGA's request …

DCP_0085.JPG.jpg

DCP_0086.JPG.jpg

DCP_0087.JPG.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I'm beginning to question why we bother having a Creative Arts group.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I'm beginning to question why we bother having a Creative Arts group.

For whatever reasons, possibly the notification process among them, members are more likely to come to the FORUM than the GROUP. Even for the CREATIVE ARTS Thursday/Friday, it seems somewhat necessary to post a link to that feature in the Photography Forum.

I'll be starting the PHOTOSHOP-MANIA feature any day now, but am not sure where it will generate the most response … GROUP or FORUM.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I have found that group emails don't work that well, either.  Posting a link to the front page is a good idea!  You can both add these to the M&B group, too!

I look forward to the photoshop group!

Also, this is my favorite train.  Grandpa and I rode this train in 1962, it is The General and lives now at Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia.  I loved that train!  (Still do...)

the general.jpg

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dowser,

Looks similar to the Harry Potter train.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It still has horse hair seats...  They were prickly!  What a fantastic ride we had!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dowser,

Is that the same General that was used for the raid into Georgia by several Union soldiers back in 1863?  As I recall, all of them received the first issue of the Medal of Honor (several posthumously, it wasn't a very successful raid in terms of the raiders getting back alive).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yes, it is the same...  L&N bought it in 1960, restored it, and it made a tour through the southeast!  Since my wonderful Grandpa was an L&N employee, we got free tickets and got to ride the train from Owensboro to Henderson...  It was the spring of 1962.  Then it went somewhere else for a time...  Finally, they took it back down to Georgia and built a museum for it.  I got to take my family to see it, but we weren't allowed to touch it-- what a disappointment!  

It is a beautiful train!  The other train in "the Great Race" is at the Atlanta Zoo, and you can see it and get really close to it.  (I don't remember touching it, but maybe we did...)  This is the little train that pursued The General, backwards, for about 30 miles.

The museum at Kennesaw Mountain is Truly a fascinating place!  There used to be a train museum/display at Kansas City, KS-- about the same time.  We went there in 1963, and saw Roosevelt's train and the cars.  Also the train that transported Harry Truman on his continental tour of the US.  Needless to say, I love train museums!  Somehow, to me, The General is special...  We went with Leland Carr and his granddaughter.  I wonder where she is today, and does she remember the wonderful trip we had?  Leland Carr was one of Grandpa's friends...

thumbs up

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I think those that survived the "battle" were captured and probably sent to Andersonville Prison, which was a death trap.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I think that four actually survived the fight itself.  Two escaped and the other two, since they were not in uniform, were shot as spies.

Got a couple more pictures this afternoon at the Lake Odessa Historical Society Museum.  It's contained in the old train station along with the Historical Society office.  In the railroad's warehouse behind the station are more exhibit areas and artifact storage.  In front is a restored caboose sitting on the only piece of track left in that area.  The railroad now runs about a half mile Northwest of the station and has only freight trains.  Lake Odessa is no longer a stop for passenger trains.  The station is a classic example of small town (about 1,500 people) passenger and freight stations from the late 19th Century to the middle of the 20th Century.  This one was built in the 1880's and taken out of active service in the 1960's.

100_1226.JPG

100_1223.JPG

100_1224.JPG

100_1225.JPG

I would have snapped a few more but, as he was coming back, Levi informed me that he needed a bathroom immediately.  Closest one was at his house, about a mile away.  He made it (just barely).  That's the way it works in the high prestige world of babysitting grandkids.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I LOVE these pictures!  If I can find my pictures of the Union Station in Owensboro, I'll post them-- where Grandpa worked...  The station is fantastic, too!  Love that they have old trains there!

I had a project once, in Paducah, at a place where they revamp engines, and it was fascinating, to say the least.  They had a HUGE contaminant plume underneath, and it was only a few blocks from the city's water supply wells, so they had to clean it up.  VERY hard to do...  

The floor of the building was made of trees-- piled end to end, so they were, I guess, pile-driven into the sands and soils of the river, in order to support the weight of all those trains.  They used some very nasty chemicals to clean out the engines of those trains...  Stuff that was weird colored and steamed.  Stuff that would eat the boots of your feet, but they assured me it was environmentally friendly.  Yeah...  The "factory" had been built in the 1890s and still going strong in the 1980s.  It was a really interesting place to visit.  Those engines were something to see!  Basically, they gutted them, cleaned out the engine of the engine, and then rebuilt them from scratch.  Fascinating!  Even if you had to avoid the steaming puddles between the tracks.

Levi looks like he is having a ball!  Gabby is too little to babysit yet, as she needs her mama every 2 hours, still-- but she is growing, and I look forward to our future jaunts!  thumbs up

I don't honestly remember exactly what they said, nor can I think of the name of the train that pursued The General.  I do remember something about Andersonville, which was still spoken of, in horror.  The Kennesaw Mountain museum is a really neat place to visit!  There is also a rotating diorama at the Atlantic zoo-- built in the 1880s, I think, but you get into a big round bleachers and turn slowly, as they describe the battle of Atlanta...  Fascinating.  It was all done to scale and employed all kinds of artisans, from all over the world-- but it is very like you were there, as a bird, watching the battle.  I would recommend that to anyone that goes there!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Happy that this thread is getting so much attention … more train pix to come either in this thread, or, a new one.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

The train that chased The General was named The Texas.  Here is the web page for both the cyclorama and the train:

LINK

The European artisans painted the background of the cyclorama on some kind of cloth...  Probably a fire hazard, deluxe, but so beautifully done!  Well, it was great about 10 years ago-- now it is supposed to be even better!  (Sometime this year...)  According to the web site, the Texas is slated for full restoration and will be housed behind glass-- I assume to keep people from touching it.  Of course.  

Hereis the link to the Southern Civil War and Railroad Museum. LINK

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

TTGA, check out this link:

The General

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Lovely photo Mac. I love old trains. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    7 years ago

Some of them still run....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

The craftsmanship was phenomenal!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Thanks for a great addition to the thread, NWM!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

I'm supposed to go to Winnipeg this summer for a convention and our off site will be on an old time train with dinner served aboard.  I can hardly wait!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

We have a dinner train down near Bardstown, and it is loads of fun!!!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Picture 4 posted … another caboose for LEVI … with his name on it no less!

TTGA
Professor Silent

Levi was really impressed that someone would name a caboose after him.  He was totally absorbed with all the cool pictures, particularly with the General.  That wasn't because of the history of the engine but because the funnel was so large.  When I clicked on NWM's video for him he watched it with a concentration that I've rarely seen in adults.  When it was finished, he insisted that I click on to the links in the final scene and watched more train videos.  That boy absolutely loves trains.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm so glad he likes trains!  thumbs up

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
(deleted)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

No worries, at all-- I can't find my picture, either...  Rats!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Got sideTRACKED today … more TRAINS tomorrow.