╌>

Chinese 4-Panel Artworks - Second in a series on Chinese Culture and Traditions

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Chinese 4-Panel Artworks  -  Second in a series on Chinese Culture and Traditions

Chinese 4-Panel Artworks  -  Second in a series on Chinese Culture and Traditions

Although it would take years and thousands of pages to describe the styles, dynasty periods and varieties of Chinese Art, I want to present just a specific example of an art form practised by Chinese artists.   From Wikipedia:

"Traditional Chinese painting involves essentially the same techniques as Chinese calligraphy and is done with a brush dipped in black or colored ink; oils are not used. As with calligraphy, the most popular materials on which paintings are made of paper and silk. The finished work can be mounted on scrolls, such as hanging scrolls or handscrolls. Traditional painting can also be done on album sheets, walls, lacquerware, folding screens, and other media."

Specifically, I am presenting here a variety of 4-panel artworks typical of what I have seen in China.  In fact, as a gift for my son's wedding I gave them 4 hand-painted panels on silk scrolls to be hung on a wall.  As you can see, themes are varied.  Many indicate the four seasons and sometimes show the same scene during the 4 seasons, but usually show similar scenes during the 4 seasons.

1.   These are similar to the vintage scrolls I gave to my son as a wedding gift.

4 season one.jpg

2.   They often depict the four seasons.

4 seasons 7.jpg

3.    The standing panels often used as room dividers are called Coromandel Screens.

4 seasons 20.jpg

4.   Beautiful women are often depicted in the paintings.  I have always thought that Chinese women were the most beautiful women in the world - now I'm lucky to have married one.

4 seasons 16.jpg

5.   Here in a more modern set of paintings the four seasons are shown with beautiful women.

4 seasons 5.jpg
6.   Oval shapes are relatively unusual.  These depict warrior women.

4 seasons 23.jpg

7.   Carved in wood, then painted.  Note the Jade inserts in the 3rd panel.

4 seasons 11.JPG

8.   Depicting the four seasons in similar scenes

4 seasons 15.jpg

9.   A single panel indicating the four seasons.  Unusual, and IMO very Escheresque.

4 seasons 4.jpg

10.   A standing Coromandel screen I wish I owned.

4 seasons 24.jpg

11.   Wooden plaques

4 seasons 19.JPG

12.   An example of the four seasons showing identical images.

4 seasons 3.jpg

13.   Birds are another common subject. I have a silk embroidery picture of a tropical bird that I bought in Luoyang.

4 seasons 17.jpg

14.    A vintage set that would be very desirable as a collector's item.

4 seasons 18.jpg

15.   Besides displayed as scrolls, they are also framed as well.

4 seasons 12.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I should have indicated that this is not a photo-essay as all the pictures are from the internet.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I should have indicated that this is not a photo-essay as all the pictures are from the internet.

Let us consider this then, an outstanding documentary.

Well done and well-received!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Beautiful pieces of art work Buzz. 

All are beautiful, some are stunning.

Well done.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thanks Kavika. I can always rely on you to appreciate my essays.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

The Japanese have a similar art form but I'm pretty sure they appropriated it from the Chinese. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

If memory serves they are called Shoji Screens in Japan.  Wonderful artwork, though not sure where I would be able to put one in my house.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

We have a tiny bedroom in our house, designated the China Room...  That's where I put mine.  winking

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

These are lovely!  I have a 4 panel series that depicts the seasons, but I guess I've hung them in the wrong order...  I love Chinese artwork!  It's so balanced...  

Very beautiful!  Thanks for posting it!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Any room for a little culture among the Trump debaters today?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Culture!!! they don't need no stinkin' culture.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

sophisticated.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Image result for belching

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I just remembered. Friends of ours that live Huntington Beach CA. have Chinese wall hangings, a set of four and quite beautiful...Your essay jogged my memory..(hard to do at my age)