╌>

Major League Pitcher Pays Tribute To A Deceased Fan By Writing Her Name On The Mound With His Finger

Category:  Sports

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  4 comments

Major League Pitcher Pays Tribute To A Deceased Fan By Writing Her Name On The Mound With His Finger

Derek Holland paid tribute to Rangers fan Sister Frances on the mound after she passed away

main image

She was known to every Rangers fan, broadcaster and player --  always banging her drum from her seat behind home plate. She was Sister Frances Evans, a nun and Texas superfan, who passed away at the  age of 90 on Friday

Though he's now a White Sox, and was pitching in Kansas City on Sunday,  Derek Holland  remembered his time with her fondly from the eight years that he was with the Rangers. He posted to Instagram before his start to "remember someone special."  

This iframe is not allowed

And then, as he has written "Granny" on the back of the mound since his grandmother passed away in Spring Training, Holland added Sister Frances' name. 

"She was at every single game," Holland told MLB.com's Scott Merkin. "She always had a drum, she would always beat it. It was really cool as a player to hear that -- you knew it was her. Unfortunately, she passed away and I wanted to make sure she got the recognition she deserved. Obviously I'm on a different team but respect is where it's made and she deserves that. My prayers are up with her family and everyone affected by it."

"I wish I could have done a better job today for her but this is how the game is," Holland said after pitching 4 2/3 innings and allowing three runs in  Chicago's 5-4 loss . "The main thing is to pay respect to her family and her friends and all those around her."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Sister Frances Evans holds up a Fort Worth Star-Telegram edition found in 2012 in a 1949 time capsule. The JPS Health Network hosted a small gathering at the Community Health Center to open two time capsules found behind plaques at St. Joseph Hospital. The guest of honor was 86-year-old Sister Frances Evans, known best as the “Drum Lady” from her years of banging a drum at Texas Rangers game.

Derek Holland is not a star player in major league baseball.  His career earned run average as a starting pitcher in the American League is mediocre at best (4.42). This year he plays for a losing team, the Chicago White Sox, and he hasn't done much to help them get better. 

Nonetheless Holland was thoughtful enough to remember a fan from another city from when he was playing on another team, the Texas Rangers. A 90 year old nun who was a big Ranger fan passed away recently, and Holland scrawled her name on the pitcher's mound as he started the game the White Sox played in Kansas City Sunday. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Nice story.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Very touching story. Nice to see people being thoughtful.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Kudos to Derek Holland.