╌>

"Keepin' Me Off-the-Streets"

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  a-macarthur  •  7 years ago  •  16 comments

"Keepin' Me Off-the-Streets"

Growing up in Philadelphia, the 1950's version of "Street Smarts" had nothing to do with guns or drugs … rather … with "rumbles" (a.k.a. "street fights"), "fair ones" (a.k.a. "fights between two teenagers in which no weapons were involved -- usually taking place in a school yard with supporters of each combatant present, this to assure that such a fight was, indeed, a "fair one" -- a colloquialism emerged.

That colloquialism, in retrospect, might be seen as the forerunner to one of today's informal greetings between friends, namely, "are you behavin' yourself/are you stayin' out of trouble"?

The 50's version … "Are ya' keepin' yourself off-the-streets?"

These days, I am figuratively, and, for-hours-on-end … literally … keeping myself off-the-streets, on my laptop, and busy!

Submitting images to publishers, these to be considered for licensing and use in various formats, is now done in the ways of the digital-photography era. No more 35mm slides with captions on the slide mounts -- nor, plastic sheet of 20 slides slid into pockets -- 10-20 sheets sent to an art editor in a Priority Mail envelop with return postage and packaging … that tedium is passe.

The NEW TEDIUM goes as follows;

1) For every image to be submitted via a computer process known as FTP (File Transfer Protocol), each one must satisfy the specifications of the intended recipient publisher/agent/art editor, etc. . These specifications include …

• Image Resolution ( a FULL RESOLUTION VERSION @ 300 ppi and a LOW RESOLUTION VERSION @ 96ppi)

• Image physical size (one for the Full and one for the Low resolution version)

• Keywording and other embedded information in each image file (caption, description, copyright information, image file name with distinct prefix identifying the sender

• Both a Horizontal and Vertical image if a given image subject allows for viable representations as such

I am in the process of submitting 400+ images (800+ counting the Low resolution thumbnails) … and these are, nowadays …

What are "Keepin Me Off-the-Streets."

I will look in to NT every day but won't post much (possibly until after Labor Day). I will make sure to post CREATIVE ARTS GROUP THURSDAY/FRIDAY articles but likely not much else.

It was important to me to let it be known as to why I'll be off-the-board for a time.

As for being off the streets … this would be my kind of "OFF" place of preference.

ancienttreesstandingandfallenagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

mudrunfallentreessm_AGU3172.jpg

Far Off of "The Street"

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

I will be looking in on you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

We only had dirt streets/roads where I grew up, so keep me on the streets was difficult at best. 

Wonderful photo Mac. kinda of makes me street wise.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Coming by to say "good night" … and to post a second image, this of a location far off of "the street".

Back in the morning to post the Creative Arts Group Thursday/Friday feature.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Another beautiful photo Mac.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

So, I "took a break" from my photo submission tedium, got up from my desk and went out to my wildflower garden to unwind.

Because it's second nature for me to pick up one of my cameras when heading outdoors … without thinking … I picked up one of my cameras and, well, you know … started taking more photos, adding to the 400+ I'm still working on.

Here is the result … back now at my desk.

I am hopeless …

… but happy.

submit_indianblnkt17.7sm.jpg

Indian Blanket Flower

© A. Mac/A.G.

I think I'll go walk my dog. 

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    7 years ago

More beauties!  Thank you.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Those photos look so refreshing and inviting Amac.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    7 years ago

I can almost smell the air,  like the ground in a forest.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nona62   7 years ago

I can almost smell the air,  like the ground in a forest.

Hold on … I'm on the sixth day of my e-Day Deodorant Pad (does anyone remember that product besides me?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I totally missed this article until today (Aug 6).  With the frantic posting of articles by new members and old these days the articles get wiped off the front page and the discussion list so fast - and I'm asleep while most of this is happening.

I have only one question. Would you try to cross that creek on that log?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I have only one question. Would you try to cross that creek on that log?

Answer: To get to the other side, Buzz … everyone knows that.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Kavika crossing the Mississippi on a log.

IMG_0284.JPG

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

LOL. Think of Robin Hood when he first met Little John.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

I do not own a camera.

Below are all my most recent photographs.

Please, no infringing on my intellectual property rights.

Legally Yours,

Enoch.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

They're somewhat overexposed, Enoch …

But their brightness is uplifting … imagery on the lighter side.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I'm a fan of your version of "off the streets" and maybe "off the beaten path" too.