╌>

The 'Long Hot Summer of 1967'

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  95 comments

The 'Long Hot Summer of 1967'

For those of you too young, or were not born in the 60's it was a decade of violence throughout the U.S. 1967 wasn't the beginning or the end. The 60's were a powder keg. Civil rights, the war in Vietnam being the center of most of the violence, it started long before 1967 and ended well after 1967...

1967 is simply a violent year in mist of a more than a decade of violence. 

Today, with the violence in Charlottesville and the peaceful protests in Boston, it's time to look back at  one the most violent time in our history. 

Which way will be go now, back to the 60/70's or move forward without the violence? That is the qu_______estion we must answer. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 'long, hot summer of 1967'

Kelly Gonsalves 1 day ago

TWEET

EMAIL

The summer of 1967 was a season divided by emotion.

For the bohemians in San Francisco, it was the Summer of Love : an embrace of free love, psychedelics, and rock 'n' roll. But for many black people across the country, the summer of 1967 was something else entirely: a release of pent-up resentment over institutionalized unemployment, abusive policing, and shoddy housing.

In the first nine months of the year, the federal government recorded 164 "civil disorders" in 34 states . But tensions peaked during the sweltering summer months, fueling a wave of violent protests in more than 150 cities . It would become known as the "long, hot summer of 1967."

The National Guard was deployed in at least a dozen states; news networks broadcast footage of troops descending upon the chaotic streets of Detroit alongside scenes from the Vietnam War.

"No one is safe on the streets, in his home, or on his property," Sen. Everett Dirksen (R-Ill.) said early that summer. "We are rapidly approaching a state of anarchy."

By the time the smoke cleared in September, the tally of destruction was staggering — at least 83 dead, thousands injured, and tens of millions of dollars in property damage, with entire neighborhoods burned to the ground.

At the heart of the unrest was black anger over racial injustice and oppression. The 1964 Civil Rights Act may have banned segregation and employment discrimination, but for blacks across the country — not just in the South — life three years later was still far from civil. In fact, it was often instances of violence against black Americans, particularly by police, that triggered the riots in the first place.

In Newark, New Jersey, reports of a black cab driver being beaten by officers during arrest sparked immediate backlash on July 12, culminating in a commercial district being set aflame and 23 black men, women, and children dead at the hands of the military. In Detroit, a police raid of an after-hours club filled with black patrons on July 23 set off five days of violence, which left 43 people dead, thousands injured, and more than 7,000 arrested .

At the end of July, President Lyndon B. Johnson set up a commission to investigate the cause of the riots. The findings — known as the Kerner Report — published in March 1968 argued that "white racism is essentially responsible for the explosive mixture which has been accumulating in our cities since the end of World War II." Pervasive discrimination and segregation in employment, education, and housing created massive and growing concentrations of black ghettos "where segregation and poverty converge on the young to destroy opportunity and enforce failure."

"Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white — separate and unequal," it said .

The analysis won widespread acceptance among both blacks and whites.

"A riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear?" Martin Luther King Jr. said in a speech in April 1967. "It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity."

The "long, hot summer of 1967," particularly in Detroit, was one of the most violent urban revolts of the 20th century . It was not , however, the first , nor would it be the last — Martin Luther King's assassination less than a year later sparked another wave of violence .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Are we headed to the 1960/70's again?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

It seems to me that during those days there were certain segments of society involved in the conflicts, whereas now it appears to be more widespread and polarized poiitically.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I don't think so Buzz. In the 60's and 70's a very diverse groups of Americans took part. Every color, ethnic group, political group, everyone was involved in one way or another. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I well remember the race riots in many cities in different states across the US. There were a lot of deaths on both sides. The news on them was raw and uncensored, and pictures were often very graphic, and many areas looked like a war zone.

The KKK was very prominent throughout the South and brought their hate to many other states. It was a truly terrible time for our country and the American people. It was a horrible thing for the young children to see, and even harder to try and explain it to them.

I also remember the horrible riots in Los Angeles in 1992 when I lived in LA at the time. It was even worse than many of those of the 60's and 70's, as the belligerent factions had grown larger and more vicious.

But in all of the rioting that happened across the country, I saw many people coming together to help the injured, even in the face of danger to themselves. While the hate was running ramped, so was the caring and support for those who were injured.

I pray that we will not see such wide spread hatefulness in our country again.

Just my thoughts. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I agree I remember how bad it got in little old Peoria Illinois. If you were white there was large areas you just did not go into. That lasted for quite some time, years ! I'm sure there is areas there you still would be risking your car, your money and your life to drive thur especially at certain times. 

The "south end" was nothing but poverty and I doubt that has changed, not much changes in Peoria ever !

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

Growing up I lived in Metaraire and New Orleans, Mobile Alabama, Natchez Mississippi, Atlanta GA and Ft Worth Texas. While living in these different cities I never once felt fear of going to any part of them at any time.

My Father bought a Cosden gas station in the heart of the largest Black community in Ft Worth, and the people there were kind and helpful. They never expressed any prejudice against us even though we were not Black. There was a small cafe across the street called Rubie's, and the food was true Southern cooking and I ate there often, mingling with the Black folks who patronized the cafe. The men who worked at our station were all Black, and often their wives and family would stop by to bring them dinner or visit and we always treated them all like family.

I find people are just people, no matter what their skin color or ethnic heritage is. All they ask for is respect and dignity. Just like me. (smile)

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

You should see the gas stations in Detroit. They have bulletproof glass about two inches thick. You have to slide your money through a little slot small enough that a gun will not fit because it is so dangerous for gas station attendants to work there. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

This type of gas stations exist all over the U.S. Dean...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Dean, if you took notice, I was not speaking of the world today, but, what it was like in in the time frame the discussion is about. Times and circumstances have changed over the years, and it is true that many things today are not the same as they were at that time. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I grew up in N.O., moved to Metairie as a young married and, then, we moved across the Bay from Mobile. 

Every word you wrote is the way I see things and have experienced.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

magnoliaave,

Thank you. It is nice to meet someone who has lived in the areas that I once did and can associate with the experiences I had in those cities. (smile)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I think we're there, dear friend.  All this nonsense about statues, etc.  No one is listening to any one.  Everyone is just shouting...

Tired of it, I am.  I've lived through this before.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

"Tired of it, I am."

I think Yoda has had an effect on our language.  LOL

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

winking

I don't know why it came out like that...  But, yeah, I find myself longing for Yoda's  wisdom!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I don't think that we are Dowser, the violence on all sides was at a record pace. Can we get there, yes we can if we are not careful.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Seems that the cops are acting in a very restrained manner.  People throwing urine and rocks and anything else they can grab is not resulting in rubber bullets, tear gas, water cannons, etc.  A show of force might actually teach people that there are limits to how much society is willing to accept from them, though the cost would surely be unacceptable in this day and age.  I just saw a story elsewhere about a man getting out of his car at a Steak-n-Shake-someone assumed he was a Neo-Nazi and tried to stab him.  Cut him but the stab missed.

When did we, as a society, decide that this kind of behavior was acceptable?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    7 years ago

People carrying signs, mostly say Hooray for our side.

Seems like we're just doing it all over again.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Steve Ott   7 years ago

Yes is does Steve.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
link   Vic Eldred    7 years ago

It seemed to have ended with the landslide election of Richard Nixon by "the great silent majority" (the great generation). However, it really didn't end & the left maintained its grip on higher education and they gradually infiltrated our institutions. The culmination of their ideological gains was the election of Barak Obama in 2008. They now control the democratic party and as Liz Warren says "we are the heart & soul of the democratic party". 

They now pose a threat to our constitution & our way of life

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred   7 years ago

They now control the democratic party and as Liz Warren says "we are the heart & soul of the democratic party". 

They now pose a threat to our constitution & our way of life

Which just goers to show what  wishy-washy weaklings Trump & the Republicans are!

Imagine-- the Republicans now control the presidency as well as both houses of Congress-- yet the Democrats are still able to be a threat to the Constitution and our way of life!

Imagine if after the next election the Democrats pick up even a few seats in Congress-- given the total impotence of the Republicans, that would probably mean the end of life on earth as we know it!

/s

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Funny, I recall the time when the Dems held both the House and the Senate and the White House and characterized Republicans as a threat to the nation.  Ah, good times!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred   7 years ago

Vic, Nixon was elected in 1968, history will show you that it didn't end with his election. Kent State, Jackson State in 1970, Wounded Knee in 1973 plus a number of other instances in the following years. 

April 19, 1971 the Vietnam Vet's march on Washington. 

As far as I know Obama had nothing to do with any of this. 

If you contention is that is was ''liberals'' that were responsible for this, then I'll accept that since the ''liberals'' made dramatic changes that changed the course of America.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

Here;s what it was actually like in the South in the 60's (I haven't seen any other video of the events of the Civil Rights struggle of that era that captures the feeling as well as this one):

(Buzz-- if you want to look for it elsewhere its Mavis Staples "Eyes On The Prize")

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Here;s what it was actually like in the South in the 60's (I haven't seen any other video of the events of the Civil Rights struggle of that era that captures the feeling as well as this one):

That really captures it Krishna for sure.  Makes you want to kick the shit out of those white racists hassling the black guy on the sidewalk and street, not to mention the other things in the video.

Very good article Kavika.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

The video isn't working Six....all I get is the audio part. 

I was stationed at Ft. Benning GA. in 1959. Not a good time at all.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika,

Sometimes the videos from youtube are only audio. I checked this one and it is only audio.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Thanks Perrie.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The video isn't working Six....all I get is the audio part.

That's all there is.  It's a long instrumental introduction, then Martin Luther King comes in with the "I Have A Dream" speech at 1 minute 19 seconds and continues with it until the end at 5 minutes 14 seconds.  There is no actual video.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Wounded Knee 1973.

Image result for Photos of wounded knee 1973

Related image

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Excellent video Krish.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Social unrest took place throughout the sixties, beginning with civil rights marches in 62 and 63 that were met with violence by TPTB. Southern governors blocking Negro students from entering schools. Riots in '65. The birth of widespread drug use. Hippie culture. Anti-war violence. The "silent majority" Assassinations. Mass alienation of youth. 1968

Had there been social media then who knows where it all may have gone?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Had there been social media then who knows where it all may have gone?

No place good. It has taken me awhile to come to the conclusion that social media is the static of our time. The truth is lost in the constant noise. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

Vic, Nixon was elected in 1968, history will show you that it didn't end with his election. Kent State, Jackson State in 1970, Wounded Knee in 1973 plus a number of other instances in the following years. 

And that is what I said:

However, it really didn't end & the left maintained its grip on higher education and they gradually infiltrated our institutions

I said his election was the culmination of the movement that began in the 60's. Do you know what that means?

If you contention is that is was ''liberals'' that were responsible for this, then I'll accept that since the ''liberals'' made dramatic changes that changed the course of America.

That is my contention. And yes they did cause a lot of change - some good, most not good.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

And that is what I said:

However, it really didn't end & the left maintained its grip on higher education and they gradually infiltrated our institutions

I said his election was the culmination of the movement that began in the 60's. Do you know what that means?

That is my contention. And yes they did cause a lot of change - some good, most not good.

Kavika
Professor Principal

''It seemed to have ended with the landslide election of Richard Nixon by "the great silent majority" (the great generation). However, it really didn't end & the left maintained its grip on higher education and they gradually infiltrated our institutions.'' 

It seems to me what your saying is that the physical confrontations ended but the left kept a grip on higher education and infiltrated our institutions...Whatever those institutions are. 

''I said his election was the culmination of the movement that began in the 60's. Do you know what that means?'' 

Yes I do know what it means Vic. This so called movement was not stopped by the republican presidents. Remember there was Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Bush II running the country while this ''movement'' was taking place. 

''That is my contention. And yes they did cause a lot of change - some good, most not good.''

I look at the ending of the Vietnam war as a very good thing. The advancement of civil rights as a very good thing. But that's just me.

''They now pose a threat to our constitution & our way of life''

I'm sure that they do in your view. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

For whatever it is worth....

I am a Southern girl born in a paper mill town in LA.  Moved to New Orleans as a kid so Daddy could find work.  We were poor as crap, but I didn't know it.  Grew up with segregation...it was a way of life. I remember separate water fountains, bathrooms, schools, buses with wooden signs that fit in the top of the seats that segregated blacks from whites.  My life was beautiful....theatre, radio and TV....I was lucky with having talent.

Moved to Al with my husband and two sons.  We lived far away from the turmoil that was taking place in Selma and Montgomery.  Gov. Wallace is the primary reason that I became a Republican. 

The KKK may have been founded in GA, but do you know that means nothing to the majority of whites in the South?  The neo Naziis are whatever and who cares about them? Who needed them to go to Charlottesville or anywhere else to speak for us?  Speak for themselves and don't bring Southerners into this.  They don't care about our way of life and could care less about our monuments.  They made it worse.

Yes, it's gonna be bad.  Because we have these malcontents who like nothing better than a fight and a reason to prepare for their next protest.  There will come a time when those of us who have sat back quietly will say enough is enough.  If taking down monuments make you feel better....good.  Be very careful on who or what you try to take down next!    

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Magnolia, I honestly think you do not comprehend how your words and sentences sound.

Grew up with segregation...it was a way of life. I remember separate water fountains, bathrooms, schools, buses with wooden signs that fit in the top of the seats that segregated blacks from whites.  My life was beautiful....theatre, radio and TV....I was lucky with having talent.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Well,  I did grow up with segregation.  If one is born into it, then, it is a way of life.  What?  As a young girl am I suppose to start changing the world?  The blacks lived in my same neighborhood.  They walked down the street just like me.  They worked just like my Daddy.  The caught the same bus. 

When it all really hit home with me was moving in AL and what persued after that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Your comments do not come off well at all.

Because segregation was a "way of life",  that made it ok?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet

I didn't post that to impress anyone.  I am telling you the way it was then. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

I honestly don't remember segregation in my home town.  I have read about segregation here, in Louisville, but never saw it, when we came to town for a movie, or to shop.  I do remember when they integrated the local schools.  The National Guard came in, but I don't remember anyone being so upset.  They sold hot dogs and balloons.  It was like a party.  The National Guard boys looked scared-- but they were kind and polite.  No one said anything or did anything ugly, that I saw.

Was it wrong to have segregated schools?  I believe that it was, separate is rarely equal.  Was it wrong to have segregated bathrooms and water fountains?  I believe that it was, without a doubt.  But, that's long gone, now.  Let's see, we integrated in 1961 in my hometown.  That's 56 years ago.  I don't feel that I suffered ill effects, nor that it was such a big deal to anyone-- as I said, it was like a giant block party.  Whites and blacks have always lived next door to each other, in my hometown.  Now, we have Sudanese, and Chinese, and Vietnamese, and just all kinds of people living in the town.  I remember when we got a Polish person, to move to town.  He played violin at the Big E hotel.  We used to drive by his house, hoping he would come out and mow his lawn or something, so we could talk to him...

Were we hicks?  We sure were.  Thankfully, I might add.  

I intensely dislike the KKK and all that it stands for-- I see it as a personal blot on my landscape.  But, I'm not about to take them on, nor am I able to do so.  They are mean people, who would squash me like a bug.  That being said, I walked with my African American friends at a peaceful protest down at the courthouse in the early 70s.  The funny thing, at the time, some of my black friends took flowers to the Robert E. Lee statue back then.  Almost as if they weren't trying to insult him, just get their rights.  Maybe you can see why I feel all this statue stuff to be so confusing.  Maybe you can't.  

To me, the statues have become a focal point for rage against what hasn't changed, or not changed enough.  Otherwise, I don't see it.  I had family on both sides of that conflict-- North and South.  For me, they're my family-- no matter who they fought for, or who was mad about it.  I'm truly glad I missed all that, and am happy to be in my time, today.

Take care, everyone!  Can we try to be nicer to one another?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Since when is it your job to critique comments and the intent of someone?  Obviously the comments made went right over your head.  What was stated was the way it was-not something a little child is going to make a value judgment on, which she did when she was an adult.  Stop trying to parse her words.  Read for comprehension.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I read her entire comment and have put it in context. I was kind to her compared to what I really wanted to say.

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I understand her position. I grew up in an all white environment as well. 

We didn't know any better. We were children. 

Now we do. We are adults. 

Things change.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

I understand her position too. She said segregation was a way of life, her life was beautiful during that period, and those who speak out against the statues that honor white supremacy are outside agitators.

If those are not what she meant then she can correct the misunderstanding.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet

I didn't ask for your kindness and don't need it.

Just put it out there!  I am a big girl now!

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

If  that was directed at me... NO problem you won't see me defending any of you r position in the future. From what I've seen of you we have nothing in common anyway.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Thank you. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Magnoliaave, are you saying that segregation is OK? 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Oh, come on!   No, so don't make a molehill about nothing!

Kavika
Professor Principal

Nothing about a mountain or a mole hill...I asked a simple question since your comment wasn't that clear. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I am not taking your bait.  Draw your own conclusions from what I said.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I'm not putting this out as bait, I'm simply trying to understand your comments. 

It's seems to me that you are saying that segregation was ok when you were a kid. How do you feel about it now? 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I favor segregation as long as it is not forced upon people and they freely choose to live with people that share common interests and values and culture. I prefer to live among similar people. I wouldn't enjoy living in Dearborn, Mi or Detroit where the culture is vastly different then my own and the people I associate with. Here most of the people enjoy similar recreational activities, musical interests, work ethic and fashion. I would not feel comfortable in many other areas of the country. When the whites abandoned Detroit after the 67 riots that was in their best interest. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

That is a very libertarian way to think.  In other words, it's nonsense.  How are you supposed to keep a community segregated without forcing out those who don't wish to be segregated?  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I just search out areas with similar people and move there. Just like my family moved out of Detroit when the culture changed. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

That works fine ... until a family of Muslims/Asians, Mexicans, African Americans/etc. decides to move in next door.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

No. l.....I didn't read where he said what race or nationality he is.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I wouldn't expect one family to change the culture of the area. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

True segregation doesn't make exceptions.  It's all or nothing, else it can't be termed 'segregation'.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Segregation by its very nature is forced upon people, Dean.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago
My life was beautiful..

Of course-- you were white!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

I look at the ending of the Vietnam war as a very good thing. The advancement of civil rights as a very good thing. But that's just me.

Ya they have 2 things they keep pointing to. Right now these thugs are trying to relive all that except there is really nothing worthy of some opposition movement

I'm sure that they do in your view. 

Not just me - every decent citizen in this country. I only hope the evening news is filled with scenes of their mayhem.

Kavika
Professor Principal

''Ya they have 2 things they keep pointing to. Right now these thugs are trying to relive all that except there is really nothing worthy of some opposition movement''

Seems to me that your two things that are pointed to are damn important. 

If a group protests they are thugs..Wow, nice broad brush comment. What is the difference between the thugs that are protesting and the thugs that are complaining about it?

Is a ''decent citizen'' only ones that agree with you? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

And how do you feel about the drug epidemic that was launched back then by that wonderful counter-culture?

Kavika
Professor Principal

''And how do you feel about the drug epidemic that was launched back then by that wonderful counter-culture?

I have never used drugs, and it would seem that you're starting to grasp at straws.  How about you, how do you feel about it...How do you feel about the Jim Crow laws that were in effect during the 60's..Approve or not.

BTW, you might want to do a little research on the subject, since the drugs have been used in this country for decades before the 60's. Drugs abuse is evident in every group of people in the U.S. 

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley  replied to  Vic Eldred   7 years ago

Well, Hell's Bells and Peanut Shells.   I was part of that counter culture. Shyte.  I still am.  And I give that sex, drugs and rock n roll thing  a Big Ass Texas Thumbs up!! 

The true drugs that have killed our pretty dang noble experiment in a democratic republic have been greed, religion, the incurious, a distinct lack of education, fear and did I mention capitalism?  Oh yeah, greed.   Militarism.   Gotta stick that one in there.  

class war.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

Seems to me that your two things that are pointed to are damn important. 

Ya, liberals were a part of the Civil Rights movement ( which is something to be proud of) and as I say they seem to be searching now for another cause....they haven't found it, have they?

If a group protests they are thugs..Wow, nice broad brush comment. What is the difference between the thugs that are protesting and the thugs that are complaining about it?

You have seen the riots at UC Berkeley?  Wasn't that the place where "free speech" was supposedly born?  Now which side is the left on?   

They have become the intolerant left

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

I have never used drugs, and it would seem that you're starting to grasp at straws. 

No, im not. You pointed out a positive from the 60's movement, but ive tossed you one of the big negatives. That crew helped make drug use mainstream. Today (3 generations in) it's an epidemic. That is a fact 

How about you, how do you feel about it...How do you feel about the Jim Crow laws that were in effect during the 60's..Approve or not.

Like most of the nation, we here in the north were in favor of Civil Rights. It wasnt just liberals who fought that battle - it was MLK and his followers and they fought against racism in the south. 

BTW, you might want to do a little research on the subject, since the drugs have been used in this country for decades before the 60's. Drugs abuse is evident in every group of people in the U.S. 

Oh sure, but it didnt become acceptable to mainstream America until that rabble starting using it. Dont you remember Timothy Leahry?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

''No, im not. You pointed out a positive from the 60's movement, but ive tossed you one of the big negatives. That crew helped make drug use mainstream. Today (3 generations in) it's an epidemic. That is a fact''. 

If you believe ''that crew'' is responsible for people using drugs today, that is a real stretch. Aren't today's people capable of making a decision not to use drugs. There are many movements that want to legalize drugs, not just marijuana but all drugs.  Many of them are conservatives and some are members of NT.

And people in the west, southwest, pnw and mid america fought Jim Crow and racism. Jim Crow in different forms didn't end in 1965 that was what many of the protests were about.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

If you believe ''that crew'' is responsible for people using drugs today, that is a real stretch. Aren't today's people capable of making a decision not to use drugs. 

They are the descendants of the boomer generation. If their parents felt there was no big deal with smoking a joint etc, what do you expect of them?  How many states have legalized Marijuana use - with their votes?

Kavika
Professor Principal

8 states and D.C. I believe that around 30 have legalized medical marijuana.

Are you trying to tie the baby boomer's to the drug problem that we have today? People today are using every type of drug know to man, and new synthetic drugs are appearing daily. The opioid problem is hitting the white middle class hard. There are many reasons that people overuse drugs, the over prescription by doctors contribute among many other reasons. 

To attempt to blame the ''crew'' of the 60's for the drug problems of today is, IMO not looking at the whole problem, the why, where, when and how are all components of it.   

There are many studies done on why people use drugs and none of them, to my knowledge, list their parents in the 60's using drugs. 

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Drugs are like shoes.  We all need them but, some don't fit.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    7 years ago

Nice article.    Thank you.  

Yeah, I don't think folks realize just how bleeding close we came to open revolution back in those heady daze.  Especially '68-'69.   Probably the fact that the feds and local leo murdered most of the leaders put the kabash on that one.   Happened again with AIM.  Between the gov thugs and the indian tories those leaders didn't fair too well either.   Such is life. 

I spect we are headed toward the same sort of scenario these days.  

300pxFred_Hampton_murder_scene_bedroom_bloody_mattress.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Tex Stankley   7 years ago

Yeah, AIM and the FBI is huge book in itself Tex.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

True.  A saga of misused power and injustice from my perch on the food chain. 

And Mr Peltier is still a political prisoner.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Tex Stankley   7 years ago

Yes he is Tex. He just underwent triple bypass surgery. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I don't think there is enough paper or ink presently in the world to write that book Kav..

And as you well know I'm not a fan of either organization.