╌>

Evangelical Silence and Trump: A Reformation Irony

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  7 years ago  •  35 comments

Evangelical Silence and Trump: A Reformation Irony

“Trump’s religious advisers have been mostly silent.”

Tom Gjelten wrote these words for NPR just days ago, in his aptly titled article “Trump’s Evangelical Advisers Stand By their Man.” In the aftermath of Trump’s shocking response to Charlottesville, the silence emanating from his Evangelical Advisory Board screamed. It seemed even louder after prominent business leaders and non-profit organizations publicly withdrew support from Trump, resigning advisory positions and cancelling business dealings. In the tweet-heard-round-the-world former republican strategist Matthew Dowd spoke what America seemed to be thinking: “Not a single member of Trump’s Evangelical Council has resigned. We have learned corporate America has a greater moral compass. So so sad.”

When members of the Evangelical Advisory board finally began to respond, their words echoed almost as disturbingly as their silence. Listen to what Johnnie Moore said. “We believe it would be immoral to resign…As faith leaders, we have been given an opportunity to speak directly to various members of the administration, to provide not just policy counsel but personal counsel. We’re personally involved in the lives of all these people, praying for all these people, and answering their questions.”

Did you hear that?

Instead of decrying Trump’s troubling remarks about the “very fine people” shouting Nazi slogans and carrying torches, the Evangelical Advisory Board gave Americans that “most hollow” of modern Christianeeze: “we are praying for you.”

While Denny Burke (not on the advisory council) wrote that Trump’s remarks were “morally bankrupt and completely unacceptable” and called for Christians to speak with conviction and urgency against white supremacy and racism, Jerry Falwell (on the advisory council) praised Trump as a “leader” who made “bold truthful” statements about Charlottesville.” To be fair, some members of the council have vocally condemned white supremacy and hate groups. Johnnie Moore, as quoted by Christianity Today, protested, “EVERY evangelical I know condemns antisemitism, white nationalism, & supremacism.” Paula White simply said, “white supremacy is evil.”

But the overall response of Trump’s Evangelical Leaders has been slow. It isn’t surprising that NPR summed up evangelical leaders as “reluctant to challenge Trump directly.” Especially since several council members have continued to defend Trump’s comments. Robert Jeffress said: “If we’re going to denounce some racism, we ought to denounce all racism, and I believe that was the point the President was making.” Mark Burns tweeted, “We weren’t electing a pastor, we were electing a president, I don’t look for the president to be our moral compass.”

If you follow my citation links in the last paragraph, you will note most lead back to the Christianity Today article or to religion blogger Zack Hunter’s August 16 article . Both these pieces underscored for me how troubling the Evangelical Advisory Board response has been to Trump and Charlottesville. 10 of the 24 remaining council members have simply stayed silent, including James Dobson. Several others have followed the Johnnie Moore approach: “we are praying for you.” “Pray for peace in Charlottesville and across our nation,” said Robert Jeffress. “We need a renewal of grace. God help us,” said Paula White.

Don’t get me wrong. I believe in prayer. I know that prayer has carried me through so many parts of my life. As a historian, I know the stories of countless Christians who valued and pursued prayer (yes–medieval people prayed too! I will get back to that soon…).

Yet I worry that evangelicals have become too comfortable with hiding our inaction behind the guise of prayer. For the good of the church, for the sake of avoiding “division,” we choose silence over action. We comfort ourselves that we are praying.

I can’t help but think of a very memorable post by Roger Olson: “Evangelical Superstars and Why They Fall.” Olson attempts to diagnose why so many Evangelical leaders (like Mark Driscoll and Jim and Tammy Faye Baker) publicly crash and burn. He argues (rightly so) that our lack of accountability networks for pastors has “created a system of ministry superstars on pedestals that sets them up for failure.” And then he says something even more interesting. He calls for ordinary church-going Christians to pay attention to the signs of pastoral abuse. If you find yourself in a church with a “independent and unaccountable” pastor, Olson writes, “flee.” If you choose to stay and stay silent, perhaps because you don’t want to leave your friends or because you have invested so much in the church, Olson has this clear rebuke. “And if you stay, you are part of the problem. And if he falls, you have yourself partly to blame.” When we stay silent, we become part of the problem.

I find the silent and tepid response of Evangelical leaders to Trump’s “morally bankrupt” (to use Denny Burke’s words) remarks inadequate. I also find their response (or rather, lack of response) quite ironic. Especially since it is 2017.

Let me explain. In two months time, I will be giving a paper at Baylor University’s Institute for Faith and Learning “The Bible and the Reformation” symposium. This isn’t just any Reformation conference. It commemorates 500 years since Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to those oh-s0-famous doors in Wittenberg. It is the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.

American Evangelicals love the Protestant Reformation. From Reformation Day parties (which conveniently substitute for Halloween) to Martin Luther bobble heads, the Reformation is usually one moment in church history with which I can assume comfortable (although usually far from accurate) familiarity from evangelical audiences. Robert Jeffress recently endorsed Erwin Lutzer’s Rescuing the Gospel: The Story and the Significance of the Reformation. His comments sum up well evangelical attitudes toward the Reformation and its most famous figure, Martin Luther. As he writes, “Capturing the pageantry and anger following Martin Luther’s bold stand in Wittenberg, Lutzer has penned what may be his most important book–a book that looks back on the glories of the original Reformation and looks forward to the hope of a new reformation.” For Jeffress, as I would bet for many Evangelicals, the Reformation is a glorious moment in church history. Luther, with his “bold stand in Wittenberg,” epitomizes what individual evangelicals want to be: a bold reformer who speaks the truth of God’s word and brings authentic revival to God’s church.

But Martin Luther did not stay silent. He spoke out against the prevailing establishment and stood for what he believed was right, even though it meant (ultimately) leaving the Catholic faith (resigning?). In his own words, as quoted by Reformation scholar David Whitford (Luther A Guide for the Perplexed), Martin Luther proclaimed to the council at Worms: “Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason…I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, since it is neither safe nor right to against conscience. I cannot do otherwise, here I stand, may God help me.”

Yes, Tony Suarez, there is a time for Christians to advise kings (or presidents without a moral compass). Yes, Jack Graham, Christians should always love sinners. Yes, Johnnie Moore, Christians should always be praying.

But there is also a time for Christians to speak out and take a stand.

Isn’t it ironic? Modern Evangelical Christians revere Martin Luther for doing the very thing that we are not.

-------------------------------

Original article

by BETH ALLISON BARR

ANXIOUS BENCH

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

2017 is the 500th anniversary of Luther's 95 Theses, his attack on the venal practices that had become endemic in the Catholic Church... and which launched the Protestant Reformation.

It's more than a little ironic to see so many of today's "religious leaders" ducking their moral responsibilities. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Trump’s Rally in Phoenix Full of Optimism, Refutes Charlottesville Criticism

Trump used the opportunity to bash the biased media, setting the record straight regarding his response to the Charlottesville riots. 

By RACHEL ALEXANDERAugust 23, 2017 • 4 Comments

Speaking in one of his most supportive states, President Donald Trump criticized the mainstream media for its unfair coverage of his response to the riot in Charlottesville and discussed what he’s accomplished during his eight months in office.

A lively crowd of 15,000 in Phoenix, Arizona, listened to the president. A couple thousand protesters stood outside yelling and chanting. Arizona is a fairly red state, not known for large left-wing protests. The temperature stayed around 100 degrees well into the evening.

Trump’s Response to Charlottesville

Trump refuted criticism that he did not denounce racism strongly enough after the Charlottesville riot. Notably, two prominent speakers were black.

Reminiscent of her famous uncle, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Alveda King criticized the embracing of racial division. Ben Carson, the secretary of Housing of Urban Development, also spoke.

Reverend Franklin Graham gave a prayer asking God to shut the mouths of those who preach hate and divide “like you shut the mouths of the lions years ago.”

A black supporter of Trump sat prominently behind him during his speech, often standing up and waving a sign that said  “Blacks for Trump.” His shirt said,”Trump & Republicans are not racist.” AP’s photos of the rally were almost all angled to exclude the black Trump supporter.

The VIPs sitting behind Trump included many minorities, as did the crowd. A strong theme throughout the rally was we are all united as Americans.

Reverend Franklin Graham gave a prayer asking God to shut the mouths of those who preach hate and divide people, “like you shut the mouths of the lions years ago.” Vice President Mike Pence introduced Trump to the crowd to chants of “USA, USA!”

The Media: Really Dishonest People

Trump did not hold back with his criticism of the mainstream media’s biased reporting against him. “For the most part,” he said, “these are really, really dishonest people, and they’re bad people. And I really think they don’t like our country.” He said the media wrongly accused him of not speaking out fast enough nor being specific enough.

He contradicted this by reading the three statements he made about the riots. In them, he clearly denounced white supremacism and racism. He observed, “The only people giving a platform to these hate groups is the media itself, and the fake news.”

As expected, Trump brought up the possibility of pardoning wrongly convicted Sheriff Joe Arpaio. A federal judge found Arpaio guilty of criminal contempt for racially profiling illegal immigrants. When Trump mentioned Arpaio’s name, the crowd went wild. However, Trump said he would not issue the pardon that evening, due to the possibility the protesters might erupt in violence.

When Trump brought up illegal immigration, the crowd again erupted in cheers. He vowed to secure funding through Congress to build the border wall. “We are finally defending our own borders,” he exclaimed. Before the rally, Trump stopped in Yuma, Arizona, to visit a military base next to the border.

Trump Listed the Following Accomplishments

• Got 60 pieces of legislation passed into law
• Withdrew the U.S. from TPP
• Renegotiating NAFTA
• Withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Climate Accord
• Unemployment is at a 17-year low
• Stock market is at an all-time high in history
• GDP is growing at 2.6 percent
• About to pass into law the first major tax reform in over 30 years, including a tax cut for middle class families
• The U.S. is now an energy exporter for the first time

McCain and Flake

Although he did not mention Arizona’s two U.S. senators John McCain and Jeff Flake by name, he alluded to them in criticism. Both Republicans have been very critical of Trump, and McCain voted against the Obamacare repeal Trump championed. He was one of only three Republicans to do so.

Trump also reiterated his support for eliminating the filibuster rule. That would require only 51 votes to repeal Obamacare instead of 60.

Three of Arizona’s Republican congressmen attended the rally, Trent Franks, Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs joined Governor Doug Ducey. State Treasurer Jeff DeWit, an early Trump supporter, opened the rally.

Other topics Trump addressed included his speech on Afghanistan the previous evening, refugees, care for veterans and removing Confederate statues. He growled, “They’re trying to take away our culture and history.”

Trump ended the speech with a list of his accomplishments. He complained that although he has gotten 50 pieces of legislation passed so far, the mainstream media reports that he’s gotten nothing passed. He concluded with his theme of making America great again, observing that “we are all named by the same almighty God.”

Rude Protesters Include

There was minimal violence. As the Trump supporters entered the convention center, protesters lined the sidewalk across the street from them, hurling insults and chanting.  Some of the protesters carried signs that said “Love conquers hate,” while others screamed obscenities at the Trump supporters. A common chant contained the words “F*** Trump.”

Some protesters began throwing rocks and water bottles at the police toward the end of the rally. The police responded with tear gas. One man kicked a tear gas canister at the police. They shot a pepper ball at him, which knocked him down. Several protesters were arrested.  

Speaking in one of his most supportive states, President Donald Trump criticized the mainstream media for its unfair coverage of his response to the riot in Charlottesville and discussed what he’s accomplished during his eight months in office.

A lively crowd of 15,000 in Phoenix, Arizona, listened to the president. A couple thousand protesters stood outside yelling and chanting. Arizona is a fairly red state, not known for large left-wing protests. The temperature stayed around 100 degrees well into the evening.

Trump’s Response to Charlottesville

Trump refuted criticism that he did not denounce racism strongly enough after the Charlottesville riot. Notably, two prominent speakers were black.

Reminiscent of her famous uncle, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Alveda King criticized the embracing of racial division. Ben Carson, the secretary of Housing of Urban Development, also spoke.

Reverend Franklin Graham gave a prayer asking God to shut the mouths of those who preach hate and divide “like you shut the mouths of the lions years ago.”

A black supporter of Trump sat prominently behind him during his speech, often standing up and waving a sign that said  “Blacks for Trump.” His shirt said,”Trump & Republicans are not racist.” AP’s photos of the rally were almost all angled to exclude the black Trump supporter.

The VIPs sitting behind Trump included many minorities, as did the crowd. A strong theme throughout the rally was we are all united as Americans.

Reverend Franklin Graham gave a prayer asking God to shut the mouths of those who preach hate and divide people, “like you shut the mouths of the lions years ago.” Vice President Mike Pence introduced Trump to the crowd to chants of “USA, USA!”

The Media: Really Dishonest People

Trump did not hold back with his criticism of the mainstream media’s biased reporting against him. “For the most part,” he said, “these are really, really dishonest people, and they’re bad people. And I really think they don’t like our country.” He said the media wrongly accused him of not speaking out fast enough nor being specific enough.

He contradicted this by reading the three statements he made about the riots. In them, he clearly denounced white supremacism and racism. He observed, “The only people giving a platform to these hate groups is the media itself, and the fake news.”

As expected, Trump brought up the possibility of pardoning wrongly convicted Sheriff Joe Arpaio. A federal judge found Arpaio guilty of criminal contempt for racially profiling illegal immigrants. When Trump mentioned Arpaio’s name, the crowd went wild. However, Trump said he would not issue the pardon that evening, due to the possibility the protesters might erupt in violence.

When Trump brought up illegal immigration, the crowd again erupted in cheers. He vowed to secure funding through Congress to build the border wall. “We are finally defending our own borders,” he exclaimed. Before the rally, Trump stopped in Yuma, Arizona, to visit a military base next to the border.

Trump Listed the Following Accomplishments

• Got 60 pieces of legislation passed into law
• Withdrew the U.S. from TPP
• Renegotiating NAFTA
• Withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Climate Accord
• Unemployment is at a 17-year low
• Stock market is at an all-time high in history
• GDP is growing at 2.6 percent
• About to pass into law the first major tax reform in over 30 years, including a tax cut for middle class families
• The U.S. is now an energy exporter for the first time

McCain and Flake

Although he did not mention Arizona’s two U.S. senators John McCain and Jeff Flake by name, he alluded to them in criticism. Both Republicans have been very critical of Trump, and McCain voted against the Obamacare repeal Trump championed. He was one of only three Republicans to do so.

Trump also reiterated his support for eliminating the filibuster rule. That would require only 51 votes to repeal Obamacare instead of 60.

Three of Arizona’s Republican congressmen attended the rally, Trent Franks, Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs joined Governor Doug Ducey. State Treasurer Jeff DeWit, an early Trump supporter, opened the rally.

Other topics Trump addressed included his speech on Afghanistan the previous evening, refugees, care for veterans and removing Confederate statues. He growled, “They’re trying to take away our culture and history.”

Trump ended the speech with a list of his accomplishments. He complained that although he has gotten 50 pieces of legislation passed so far, the mainstream media reports that he’s gotten nothing passed. He concluded with his theme of making America great again, observing that “we are all named by the same almighty God.”

Rude Protesters Include

There was minimal violence. As the Trump supporters entered the convention center, protesters lined the sidewalk across the street from them, hurling insults and chanting.  Some of the protesters carried signs that said “Love conquers hate,” while others screamed obscenities at the Trump supporters. A common chant contained the words “F*** Trump.”

Some protesters began throwing rocks and water bottles at the police toward the end of the rally. The police responded with tear gas. One man kicked a tear gas canister at the police. They shot a pepper ball at him, which knocked him down. Several protesters were arrested.

One protester was caught on video punching a black Trump supporter in the face, below.

After the rally concluded, police formed two lines with shields outside the convention center forming a path around those leaving.There was a delay letting the rally attendees leave the convention center due to the tear gas. The police generally kept the protesters separated across the street.

Bikers for Trump had a visible presence outside the rally, ready to step in and shut down any violence.

The Phoenix Police Department kept up a strong presence for blocks after the rally ended, ensuring that Trump supporters made it safely to their cars.   https://stream.org/trumps-rally-phoenix-full-optimism-refutes-charlottesville-criticism/

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Do you have anything pertinent to the seed? 

Did you read the seed? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Yes I read it.  I disagree with it.  We were given a poor choice in the election and that many chose Trump over Hillary is no surprise.  Trump is careful to not cross evangelicals since he won with their support.  All violence and evil should be condemned. No earthly king or President is going to bring about heaven on earth. Only God will do that at the 2nd coming.  We can only proselytize to all the world and do our part through education, disaster relief, charity, etc. to reduce human suffering in the meantime as sin and evil harm humanity. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Ok... You didn't read it... 

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Trump is careful to not cross evangelicals                                                          

BULLSHIT!                                   

9. THOU SHALT NOT LIE!

Trump lies all the time.

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB    7 years ago

"I quietly stepped away from my involvement with the Board several months ago , and submitted my letter of formal resignation as of Tues. Aug. 15, 2017." Pastor Bernard

So there is one "stand-up" Pastor in the group!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  CB   7 years ago

One good man is better than none... but still not brilliant...

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Pastor A. Bernard has taken the high road and stands up for his faith, reputation, and against moral turpitude. Pastor Mark Burns seems to have a more Machiavellian approach and though when you listen to him speak on this issue he is not wrong per se, his approach is quite "unbalanced" let me say.

I include a link to an AM Joy clip on Youtube instead of embedding it here (which is what I prefer)  because I think it may slow this article appearing at some point in time.

My Former Pastor AR Bernard Tells WHY He Left Trump's "Evangelical Council"

NOTE:  Listen to both men. Maybe twice. Because Pastor Mark Burns is on the wrong track in my opinion. That said, he is not completely off the rails!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Link doesn't work for me... 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I got a "video not available" message.  But found it with this one:

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

One is coherent. He resigned. 

The other is incoherent. He stayed. 

Gosh.... 

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

08/27/17 01:21:22PM @ atheist,

Thank you for sharing the video! You kept the ball moving and for that I am grateful. On the topic, note in that Pastor Bernard "quietly stepped away" unofficially  (See above: 08/26/17 08:26:39PM @ calbab) to observe President Trump from a distance. That 'making space' counts for something too. (-:

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 01:14:15PM @bob-nelson :

Link doesn't work for me... 

Yeah, the 'short portion does open:

I got lazy and realized too late to edit that the link did not 'hyper'! H A !

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Because Pastor Mark Burns is on the wrong track in my opinion. That said, he is not completely off the rails!

He gives me the creeps.  Isn't he telling us he supports Trump because he thinks he'll make christianity the state religion in effect?  Not in exactly those terms but that's clearly what he wants.  And when I hear bible thumpers say things like "the lord called me to, etc., etc., etc" the first thing that comes to my mind is that's mental illness talking. 

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

08/27/17 01:31:03PM @ atheist:

Isn't [Pastor Burns] telling us he supports Trump because he thinks he'll make Christianity the state religion in effect?  Not in exactly those terms but that's clearly what he wants.  And when I hear bible thumpers say things like "the lord called me to, etc., etc., etc" the first thing that comes to my mind is that's mental illness talking. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

1.  Pastor Burns is suggesting that President Donald Trump is a tool God (I hate invoking God here) will use to put conservative values back into our federal government, in my opinion. That Trump's willingness to stand with and act on Right-wing evangelical values is something they have been praying for individually and collectively, more or less, during and since President Ronald Reagan!

Therefore, Pastor Burns sees "greater good" in Trump. That is until Trump comes for him (meaning he comes against Pastor Burns own worldview). And, that is the issue isn't it? We all should be seeking after uplifting public policies good for all people, not just our vested interests and social causes!

2.  It is not mental illness, not even remotely that. Christians, especially so-called, "highly spiritualized" ones, use Bible phrases and spiritual parlance quite often internally. A problem arises precisely when Pastor Burns, who by the way in using it in this national interview, verbalizes such parlance in a public and mixed marketplace. Most Christians know what Pastor Burns means (we even know the tenor of his speaking voice), but the irreligious in the audience -- not familiar with "church-speak" or "Christianeeze," as the article writer calls it can be offended by the presumptions of any man speaking 'in another's voice.'

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Burns is hard to follow because he generates a great deal of extraneous noise... but I think he's saying that he believes he has a better chance of doing something from inside than from outside. That is surely true, but it ignores the other pertinent fact -- the one that made Bernard leave. 

Simply by being on an "advisory council", a person is tacitly agreeing with whatever the "advisee" does. That tacit agreement exists as long as membership persists. 

Bernard recalls that he spent decades building his credibility... implying that remaining on the council would destroy that credibility. Also implying that those who have remained have lost theirs. 

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 03:08:12PM @ bob-nelson:

I agree with your comment. Also regarding credibility of the remaining advisers, Pastor Bernard is suggesting they are chipping away at it by not considering the cost of standing by a man who behaves impulsively and with vested interest of his supporters.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!    7 years ago

I read something somewhere not to long ago that I really thought was very profound, and fits this particular situation to a "T".  So I searched for it, and found it.  Here it is:

Mahatma Gandhi — 'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

That really says it all you know.  Christ is good.  Christ's teachings are good teachings.  But the people, the American people, the American People who support Trump and claim to be Christians are nothing more than goddamn hypocrites.

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

08/27/17 01:59:57PM @ squirrel.

Yeah. Conservative Christians today are reminiscent of the Sanhedrin, Pharisees, Sadducees, and lawyers—the ruling class in Jesus' first century. They have forgotten the simple values of compassion, understanding, and patience toward other people and have gone after their passions with vengeance. Compassionate, understanding, and patient Christians everywhere will have to push back against our zealous and over-zealous brothers and sisters just like Jesus!

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  CB   7 years ago

Exactly.  They call themselves Christians, but they really are NOT!

-

BTW, this is the basic problem I have with Organized Religion. (Not just Christians, but Muslims and others as well.  Fact is: many of today's So-Called Christians are more like Radicalized Muslims than they will ever admit.)  It seems as if they all are organized for the wrong reasons.  Do you know what I mean?

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 03:33:54PM @ squirrel:

BTW, this is the basic problem I have with Organized Religion. (Not just Christians, but Muslims and others as well.  Fact is: many of today's So-Called Christians are more like Radicalized Muslims than they will ever admit.)  It seems as if they all are organized for the wrong reasons.  Do you know what I mean?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Unfortunately, I do know what you mean. It is their deployment of dominionist (takeover) tactics. It the fear of RW-evangelicals becoming militant. I even read an article right after Trump was inaugurated where some "dominionists" are promising to take it to the next level if Trump fails to keep his promises to disrupt all federal status quo (the good and the bad)! They hinted at their second amendment rights. . . .

Nobody need fear any right-winger group, nevertheless!

LMC-D
Freshman Silent
link   LMC-D  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

But PLEASE realize that there are those of us who love and follow Jesus, but do not approve of the way He and the Bible have been hijacked.  Jeffress, White, Jones, Huckabee...they claim to speak for the Lord, but use Him like a weapon to hurt others they disagree with.

I have many specs in my eyes and look to Him to help remove them.  He is a powerful and awesome Creator.  He is a loving and forgiving Father.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  LMC-D   7 years ago

Like Gandhi said, I like your Christ.  But, in today's world I will not claim to be a Christian, because of what they have done to His name.

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 03:55:37PM @squirrel:

Like Gandhi said, I like your Christ.  But, in today's world I will not claim to be a Christian, because of what they have done to His name.

Oh no, Squirrel! it hurts me to read this. Although, I am not sure of your affiliations, do not let any misconduct by anybody, including me perchance, deter you from being a stand-up guy for your beliefs and experiences.

I stand up for my beliefs as a Christian in and off social media!

I even make attempts to 'drive' into the lane of RW evangelicals, who by the way appear to be dodging me on social media! This I have observed and it does not make sense to me that they do not carry on public discussion. It is as if they are hiding away from explaining what they are up to; as if they do not wish to be persuaded otherwise!

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent

@calbab I have no qualms with you or your comments.  You seem to be one of the few good ones.

it hurts me to read this. Although, I am not sure of your affiliations, do not let any misconduct by anybody, including me perchance, deter you from being a stand-up guy for your beliefs and experiences.

There is no need for anyone to be hurt by anything I say, or my professed lack of affiliation with organized religion, Christian or otherwise.

I'll share with you this much:  I wear a ring that has these words: SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI 

I am not a very religious person, but I believe in a lot of His teachings.  As Gandhi said, I like Him.  I have a St. Christopher medal on one key chain and St. Anthony de Padua medal on another.  There are things I do believe, but even more that I question.  Unfortunately, what I have seen in modern society, in organized religion, has left me wanting.  So, I walk alone, like John in the wilderness I think sometimes.  I'm sure I will eventually find my way.

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 06:06:26PM @ squirrel:

It took me a moment to locate this that I wanted to share with you:

Mark 9: NIV

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent

And if someone sincerely does something in His name then they are of Him.  But others can use His name in vain, and I am afraid too many do that while pretending to do the other.  

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two.  Sometimes it's very very easy to see.  Part of the reason I have no faith in Tele-evangelists.  To me they serve themselves and use His name in order to do it.  Politicians like to use Him to get the votes of those who believe in Him.  But all they really want is the votes and little more.

I have a favorite passage that I would like to share with you.  Let me see if I can find it.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent

This is my favorite passage and teaching from The Bible

Matthew 6:5-6New International Version (NIV)

Prayer

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 08:21:29PM @ squirrel:

Squirrel! Happy Labor Day! The shared passage denotes the low-key tenor on religion. It does something else: It implies you pray. Of course, that is my interpretation and it could be a reach on my part. For that, you would be perfectly within your privilege to correct me as you see fit!

The televangelist is a particular breed. For he or she is simultaneously a preacher exclaiming the Good News, a teacher furthering the spirit walk of the listeners, and an administrator serving the operations of the ministry.

Similar to U.S. presidents, I believe most televangelists come into their ministry (office) with a proper spirit of sharing and loving encouragement for the people. However, the pressures of over-the-air ministry (service) to the people, the studio front office, and the religious affiliate can quickly get out of control. Television ministry is a big job—few can do it the right way.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  LMC-D   7 years ago

L,

... there are those of us who love and follow Jesus, but do not approve of the way He and the Bible have been hijacked.

For sure.

It can be a tough spot on NT, though, between the rock of our militant atheist members  who "require" all Christians to defend inerrantism, and the hard place of our... inerrantist fundie members... stunned

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

But PLEASE realize that there are those of us who love and follow Jesus, but do not approve of the way He and the Bible have been hijacked

I think a lot of people feel that way. 

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  LMC-D   7 years ago

I posted this clip before, on another topic, but it seems so appropriate to post it here as well.  As there seems to be a lull in the activity, I hope no one minds if I post this clip again.  If so, I would not be offended if someone decided to ask for it to be deleted by the moderators.  

I share this clip, because I think (I hope) it illustrates perfectly what you have said:

This is also what I believe.

CB
Professor Principal

08/27/17 05:18:37PM @squirrel,

Ah! I am blessed by the acting and the pace of that clip! Of course, the meaning goes ahead of it all. Stellar-stellar offering!