╌>

BATTLE OF HAYES POND: THE DAY LUMBEES RAN THE KLAN OUT OF NORTH CAROLINA

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  35 comments

BATTLE OF HAYES POND: THE DAY LUMBEES RAN THE KLAN OUT OF NORTH CAROLINA

The Battle of Hayes Pond was an armed confrontation between the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and the Lumbee Indians at a Klan rally near Maxton, North Carolina, on the night of January 18, 1958. Grand Dragon James W. “Catfish” Cole was the organizer of the Klan rally. Sanford Locklear, Simeon Oxendine and Neill Lowery were leaders of the Lumbee who attacked the Klansmen and successfully disrupted the rally.

Events leading up to the confrontation

In reaction to the US Supreme Court ruling in 1954 calling for public school desegregation, the revived Ku Klux Klan (KKK) undertook a campaign of terrorist actions throughout the American South designed to intimidate blacks from demanding even greater civil rights. Grand Dragon James W. “Catfish” Cole led the South Carolina-based Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

Cole targets the Lumbee

In 1956, the mixed-race inhabitants of Robeson County, North Carolina, who had unsuccessfully claimed Indian heritage under various tribal identities, succeeded in achieving limited federal recognition under the “Lumbee” label. The Lumbee campaign for federal recognition attracted the attention and outrage of Catfish Cole who considered the so-called Lumbee a “mongrel” race of largely African origin. Cole worried that the Lumbee, if successful in portraying themselves as Indians, would next attempt to “pass” as white, further blurring racial lines in the segregated South.

In 1957, Cole began a campaign of harassment designed to intimidate the Lumbee. He hoped to use his campaign against the Lumbee to build up the Klan organization in North Carolina. He believed that the “Lumbee” — marginalized even with the Indian community — would easily be frightened. Declaring war, Cole told newspapers: “There’s about 30,000 half-breeds up in Robeson County and we are going to have some cross burnings and scare them up”.

Klan violence escalates

On January 13, 1958, Klansmen burned a cross on the lawn of a Lumbee woman in the town of St. Pauls, North Carolina as “a warning” because she was dating a white man. Emboldened, he gave a strong speech denouncing the “loose morals” of Lumbee women and warning that “venereal disease” could be spread to the white population by their noted promiscuity. The Klan then struck at Lumbee men, burning a cross at a tavern frequented by the Lumbee. Cole denounced the Lumbee men as “lazy, drunken and prone to criminal activity.” The Klan then burned a cross on the lawn of a Lumbee family who had moved into a white neighborhood as a final warning for the Lumbee to remain in “their” areas.

Believing that he had the Lumbee on the run, he announced plans for a Klan rally on January 18, 1958, near the small town of Maxton, intended “to put the Indians in their place, to end race mixing”. His speeches calling the Lumbee “half n—–s” and denouncing “mongrelization” of the races, provoked anger among the Lumbee.

The battle

On the night of the rally, 50–100 Klansmen arrived at the private field near Hayes Pond, which Cole had leased from a sympathetic farmer. Cole set up the public address system and erected the cross, all under the illumination of a single light bulb. Before Cole could finish the arrangements, over 500 Lumbee men, many armed with rocks, sticks and firearms, appeared and encircled the assembled Klansmen. First the Lumbee shot out the one light, darkening the field and panicking the Klansmen. Then the Lumbee began yelling and attacked, firing shots at the Klansmen, several of whom briefly returned fire to no avail. Four Klansmen were wounded in the exchange of gunfire. The remaining Klansmen fled the scene, leaving family members, the public address system, unlit cross, and various Klan regalia behind. Cole reportedly left his wife behind and escaped through a nearby swamp.

Afterward, the Lumbee celebrated by holding up the abandoned KKK banner; Charlie Warriax and World War II veteran Simeon Oxendine were shown wrapped in it in Life magazine photos. Oxendine, Neill Lowery and Sanford Locklear were acknowledged by the Lumbee as leaders of the attack, which they called “the Klas.” Many local, state and national newspapers covered the event and captured photos of Lumbee burning the regalia and dancing around an open fire. A posse of Robeson County deputies led by the sheriff arrived on the scene, dispersing the Lumbee with tear-gas grenades and terminating the celebration.

The aftermath

In the days after the confrontation, a defiant Cole called the Lumbee “lawless mongrels” and denounced local law enforcement for failing to intervene earlier in the confrontation. Public opinion, however, turned against Cole. North Carolina Governor Luther H. Hodges denounced the Klan in a press statement. Cole was prosecuted, convicted, and served a two-year sentence for inciting a riot. With Cole imprisoned, the Klan ceased activities in Robeson County.

Cole’s wife, Carol Cole, in an April 3, 1959 letter raising funds for her husband’s appeal, described the battle: “A group of kinky haired so-called Indians invaded on leased land, shot up the segregation meeting with shotguns, rifles and pistols and stole my husband’s speaking equipment.”

The Lumbee celebrate the anniversary of the disrupted Klan rally, which they call the “Battle of Hayes Pond,” as a holiday.

Source: https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Battle%20of%20Hayes%20Pond

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Many of the Lumbee were WWII and Korean War Veterans. Oxendine was a waist gunner on a B17 with 25 missions over Germany. 

Image result for photo of the battle of hayes pond nc

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Today we have the KKK and Nazi's marching once again. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thanks for seeding this!

(I vaguely remember reading about this a long time ago, but forgot the details).

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Your welcome Krish. I think that it's worth reading and understanding what the KKK stands for, and has stood for for a very long time.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

You are seeding this when the State of Texas is going through shit!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

If you don't like it magnoliaave don't read it....Of course if you think that the KKK getting their asses kicked is in bad taste certainly leaves your comment up to interpretation doesn't it..

Are you complaining about the other articles on the front page that have nothing to do with Hurricane Harvey or Texas?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Forget it.....not worth it.  I thought you were better than this.   I guess not.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Well I do know that you're no better than your comment Magnoliaave.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

There is an article about Antifa that I don't recall seeing her complain about.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

You and three others on here have no quest except to denigrate anything to do with a subject that does not further your ideology.  However, today, we as citizens of the USof A have to look to TX.  The people there are going through more than some of us see in a lifetime.

Kavika
Professor Principal

''You and three others on here have no quest except to denigrate anything to do with a subject that does not further your ideology.''

Your right my ideology isn't siding with the KKK, is your Magnoliaave? 

Did you complain about all the other articles on the FP that have nothing to do with Texas and Hurricane Harvey? Don't want to answer that question do you Magnoliaave.

BTW, you have no idea what my ideology is, but carry on and let everyone see what your ideology is.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

You and three others on here have no quest except to denigrate anything to do with a subject that does not further your ideology.

Correct-- the KKK ideology is not the same as mine. 

So, it should not come as a surprise that I do not want to further their ideology.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

An inspiring story. I'd rather see a statue of the Lumbee fight against white supremacy than a staute of traitors who fought to enslave people. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend and Brother Kavika: This is a good and an important story.

Sometimes the best way to get bully's to stop bullying is to sort them out.

That they understand.

I also agree with our good friend 1911 Colt 45.

Knowing and relating to others who are not like us in a setting where we are all equal, and share common goals and values breaks down many barriers. The US DOD has integrated itself doing just that since the civil war. 

Good article and good comments here.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Thanks niijii, 

IMO it is an important article seeing what is transpiring today.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

Great bit of history, Kavika.  It's nice to see the good guys prevail every now and again.

Also, thanks for the brief diversion from all things Hurricane Harvey.  It's going to get worse here before it gets better, so feel free to post anything that can give us any kind of respite from the angst, not only from what has and is happening, but from what is to come.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Thanks sister, IMO this is an ideal time to post this article considering all that is happening with the KKK and Nazi's. 

I'll do my best to post articles to keep your mind off the devastation in parts of Texas. 

Stay safe.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    7 years ago

Thanks Podna!

I hung with a buncha Lumbee fellers when I was in NC and never came across this story.  Rocking good fun.

henry berry lowry.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Tex Stankley   7 years ago

Hi Tex, good to see you again.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

And, back at you Brother.   I've been in self imposed exile.   

I do hope you and yours are doing well.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Tex Stankley   7 years ago

Well un impose yourself and let's see you more often on NT. 

All is well and everyone is doing fine.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    7 years ago

Thank you.  Though I might end up deposing prior to repose, chances are I'll just pose.

Which might be better than a decompose.   We shall see.......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I'm glad I got an opportunity to read this, Kavika.

Something stood out above (because I have a dirty mind).

he gave a strong speech denouncing the “loose morals” of Lumbee women and warning that “venereal disease” could be spread to the white population by their noted promiscuity.

Who's noted promiscuity? The white guys of the community? That's the only way I know it's gonna get spread