╌>

8 signs you struggle with nomophobia on a daily basis

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

By Karen Fratti,  Hello Giggles (MSN Lifestyle). September 1 2017

AAr5OCO.img.jpg
© Christian Vierig/Getty Images 8 signs you struggle with nomophobia on a daily basis

We all joke about being obsessed with our phones, but some researchers are starting to think that this addiction is an actual thing. Scientists think that some people should check for the signs to see if you struggle with nomophobia on the daily. The word was coined in 2010 in the U.K. and is short for “no mobile phone.” Cute, right? The term can be a little misleading, though, since phobia suggests an actual fear of being without it, and some doctors actually think it’s more of an anxiety disorder. But there’s a super thin line between fear and anxiety anyway, so we’re rolling with it.

So how do you know if you suffer from nomophobia or just really like texting GIFs all day?

Researchers have come up with a questionnaire that asks questions like how and why you use your phone and how you would feel without it. So most of us suffer from some level of nomophobia probably.

We all depend on our phones to do pretty much anything, so being without it means losing everything. In fact, according to Scientific American, researchers think that the attachment to our phones is the same as an attachment to a relationship partner. Like, our phones trigger all same parts of our brain as another human being that we love. That’s pretty sick if you think about it. But it’s totally true!

Here are some of the signs you struggle with nomophobia. Try not to feel too bad about it.

1. You do The Check.

You know The Check: when you frantically pat yourself down and check in your bag to make sure you still have your phone. (Of course, that’s usually when you realize your phone is actually in your hand.)

2. You literally dream about it.

Anxiety dreams are real. Back in the day, they might have centered around finishing all your term papers or showing up naked to school. Now, your biggest nightmare is chasing down your phone in a weird, twisted dream.

3. You legit freak out when you don’t have your phone.

You can measure your level of nomophobia by how aggressive and seriously you react when you can’t find your phone right away. Have you ever actually accused someone of knowing where it was, like your anxiety over not having your phone was bordering on paranoia that its absence is some kind of low-key conspiracy?

4. You can’t sleep without it.

The worst thing is getting all settled in and cozy in bed and then having to get up and turn off the hall light or pee. But you’re never mad about the extremely important task of having to get up and find your phone so you can charge that thing under your pillow, and scroll through memes until you nod off.

5. It’s in the middle of all your conversations.

You can’t have a conversation with even your best friends without your phone being a part of it. Whether you insist on googling the answer to something you’re all arguing about or walking the crew through every single text message you’ve sent to your crush, your phone is basically the newest member of your squad.

6. You truly believe in no phone left behind.

On the rare occasion that you do forget your phone at home, no matter how far away you already are, you will turn around. Like, you actually consider that a hella legit reason to be late for work or a date. (Which is totally is, by the way.)

7. You’ll break the rules.

When you’re in a place that that doesn’t allow phones or you’re told to put it away, you can’t resist sneaking a peek at your notifications, tweeting about how bad the no-phone rules are, and taking a selfie to post later on.

8. No service, no game.

You are acutely aware of what places you frequent get good service and are all over the wifi passwords. Because how are you supposed to enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal at a restaurant without your phone? If nomophobia is bad, we don’t wanna be good. Well, we kinda do, but we honestly don’t know how.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Today i walked past a Starbucks and saw 5 guys sitting around a table. Four of them were staring at their cell phones and the 5th was just sitting there looking bored. There was a time in my past when the people sitting at a table like that would actually be talking to each other.

I don't have a USD$1000 smartphone. Mine cost the equivlent of USD$41, yes that's right, only forty-one dollars, brand new. It has two disks giving me service on two phone numbers. I use it to make and answer phone calls (we have no land line - in fact hardly anyone here does), send and receive text messages (I won't send long ones because it's a pain in the ass to type on a tiny keyboard - and yes it has a real keyboard). I look at it to check the time, day and date, and that's pretty well all.  No it's not a smartphone and I can't pay bills with it, it has no wifi for internet and email, it can't show movies or record and play music and I don't give a damn because I don't need that anyway. Oh, it has a camera, but I've never used it - prefer a real camera. So all in all, I wouldn't lose sleep if I didn't know where it was, although I do take it with me when I leave the house - one never knows if some emergency could happen and instant communication would be important.

I'd be interested to know from among NewsTalker members how they feel about their phones.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Mrs. E. and our offspring (son, daughter their spouses and teen children all have wireless, cellular phones).

I have a land line.

Period!

As Rabbi Dr. Gershon Weiner once wrote, "Not everything that is new is good. Not everything that is good is new".

When I am with people, I am with them. Not ignoring them because I am on a hand held communications device.

Yes, I am a dinosaur that way.

Proud of it too.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enosaurus Rex.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

Fun article Buzz!

1. You do The Check.

Nah - I don't check unless I'm waiting on a call or text to confirm plans.  In fact, people get mad at me because I hardly check my phone and end up missing random calls and texts, sometimes I don't see them until the following day.  I'm really really bad with checking my phone.  

2. You literally dream about it.

Nope - I can definitively say I don't ever recall dreaming about my phone.  I'm chalking that up to a good thing though.  :0)

3. You legit freak out when you don’t have your phone.

No freaking happening here.  My phone case also holds my debit card and license so I'm always aware of where my money and ID are.    

4. You can’t sleep without it.

Because I don't have a landline I do bring my cell phone into my bedroom at night to charge and in case I get a dreaded call in the middle of the night.  But I would like to go on the record and say there is absolutely NO cuddling happening with my phone.

5. It’s in the middle of all your conversations.

I'm the friend at the table watching my friend/colleague check their phone.  Not so bored though because I'm an avid people watcher so it's all good.  I do get upset when I'm at work and I'm trying to give out an assignment or asking for an update and I have to wait for them to get off their personal cell phones.  I give them the "mom" stare and it generally works and doesn't happen again.

6. You truly believe in no phone left behind.

It never gets to that point.  I'm a mom - I've been conditioned to check and double check  and check again to make sure I have everything I need before walking out the door.  

7. You’ll break the rules.

Only if I'm waiting for a text and then I'm always cognate to put my phone on silent.  There has to be a reason.  

8. No service, no game.

My phone always has service.  Even international.  It's one of the perks or poisons of my job.  Whichever way you want to look at it.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

"But I would like to go on the record and say there is absolutely NO cuddling happening with my phone."

LOL

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I love my phone, and use it for accessing NT.  It is a part of me, but I don't obsess over it.  I think Facebook is a bigger problem for some people than the phone itself.  I refuse to open a Facebook account just because I see how it turns people into zombies.

There's a really cool series on Netflix, called Black Mirror.  It's kind of like Twilight Zone, in that every episode is unrelated to the other other episodes and with all different actors.  In season 3 episode 1, society is obsessed with social media, and phones are used every minute of every day to register 'likes' to other people.  Your number of likes is literally the most important thing about you, and it entitles you to advantages that those with fewer likes don't get to enjoy.  It's actually a scary vision of the future, and we can see parallels in the Facebook obsessed masses today.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

You, Hal, have created fantastic photos with your phone. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Thanks Buzz.  Okay, I guess I am a little obsessed with the camera.  Lol

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I would be embarrassed to be seen walking down the street punching whatevers into a phone. If you can't at least wait until your body comes to a full stop you've got a problem.

Image result for texting while walking

-

It is possible to have and (occasionally) use facebook without being obsessed about likes and such. I use it to keep up with my family and friends (mostly through the messaging feature) and looking at their pages for photos etc.

The few likes I give would be for Happy Birthday wishes to someone or news that someone I am interested in just graduated from college, had a baby, etc.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago
My kids hate that I'm not on Facebook.  It means that they have to make an extra effort to reach out to me individually.  I say that's a good thing. The same thing goes for GoFundMe. My daughter set up a GFM account to raise money to cover expenses while my grandson recovered in the hospital for months from heart surgery. GFM takes a healthy chunk of every donation, so I didn't make a contribution through them. I bought her a car instead, to make sure she had reliable transportation between her home and the hospital. That size contribution through GFM would have amounted to hundreds of dollars going to GFM and not my daughter.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I've seen on more than one occasion guys on motorbikes focusing on their phones and ramming into the back of stopped cars. I'm sure there are more serious accidents caused by car drivers doing the same.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Having invented the original wireless communication (smoke signals) I find the modern phones quite good for a lot of things. Throwing them when angry. Using them as a marker when playing golf are just a few of their excellent uses.

Kavika, flipping his phone off.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

LOL!!!!!

Thanks.

E.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

"Smoke signals."  laughing dude