Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  24 comments

It Turns Out People Hate Mayonnaise For Exactly The Reasons You Might Imagine

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

It’s clear that mayonnaise has its share of haters, many people are completely disgusted by it, but why? The Huffington post reached out to two experts on the topic. They reached out to William Ian Miller, professor of law at the University of Michigan and author of the 1997 book The Anatomy of Disgust, and Rachel Herz, an adjunct assistant professor at Brown University and author of 2012′s That’s Disgusting: Unraveling the Mysteries of Repulsion. They have three core reasons why they believe people hate mayonnaise. Its because of its jiggly texture, it reminds people of body fluids, and because it is normally served at room temperature.

Ryarios
Freshman Silent
link   Ryarios  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I don't care for it much at all.  I usually eat sandwiches dry.  When I make my own, I used Miracle Whip very sparingly.  If it collects in air pockets in the bread I will get grossed out pretty easily so I make sure it's a relatively dense bread and inspect the surface to make sure it's not too deep anywhere. 

The only place mayo has a function is mixed with catchup for fry sauce...thumbs up

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ryarios   7 years ago

One thing I noticed when baking with mayonnaise is that the oil separated. It didn't look too good but it tasted good.

JBB
Professor Principal
link   JBB  replied to  Ryarios   7 years ago

Miracle Whip is kosher mayo. Kosher dietary rules prohibit dairy, as in mayo, being consumed with meat.

MW does not rot as fast as mayo which so MW is often used for potatoe salad, slaw etc. Fear of mayo is 

fueled by People getting sick from eating salads etc. made with mayo which goes bad faster than mayo...

As David Letterman once said truthfully of Miracle Whip, "That is not a miracle. It is fat". Do not eat it...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
link   Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB   7 years ago
made with mayo which goes bad faster than mayo...

Did you mean made with MW which goes bad faster than mayo or made with mayo which goes bad faster than MW?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Earlier this year I took part in a family cooking contest, and I was assigned to make a dish from Russia.

Not easy to find Russian recipes , or one that appealed to me , but I settled on something called Meat French Style, which was meat layered in a casserole with potatoes, onions and cheese. The secret ingredient so to speak was a lot of mayonnaise, which is evidently a very popular condiment in Russian cooking.

The dish tasted quite good, and I became temporarily fond of mayonnaise.

Prior to that I really hadn't thought about it much one way or the other.

I generally use "salad dressing" in place of mayo.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I grew up eating Miracle Whip, because that's what my mom always bought.  But since then, I've changed over to mayonnaise.

Except for potato salad - I still like that with Miracle Whip.

Don't judge me.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

I never use mayonnaise.  I always use Salad dressing, like Grandma did...  It's not that I don't like mayonnaise, it's that I like Salad Dressing.  Why change if it's something you like?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

"Don't judge me."

Why would anyone judge you. All my life while living in Canada I used Miracle Whip.  Now in China it's a more expensive imported item than local mayonnaise, and personally I never saw much difference between Miracle Whip, mayonnaise or mayonnaise type salad dressing.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Foodies seem to have an aversion to Miracle Whip.  I don't know why, but they do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

There is no difference that I have noticed between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise. I think Miracle Whip is merely another name for mayonnaise. The fact that foodies have an aversion to it is nothing IMO more than "foodie arrogance".

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
link   Transyferous Rex  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Well...there is a difference. I'm not a fan of the tangy zip of miracle whip. If I have my choice, I'm going with mayo. Regardless, a thin layer of either, on both buns, is a must for a good juicy burger. Although, I think mayo is the better pic for that too.

JBB
Professor Principal
link   JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Mayo is a dairy product. Miracle Whip is not. It has to do with with ingredients...

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!    7 years ago

"I love it!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Love mayonnaise, but only Blue Plate!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I use mayonnaise in chopped egg salad to make sandwiches or the salad by itself, in mashed potatoes, potato salad, and spread on the bread for lettuce and sliced tomato sandwiches.  Been doing that for years. My ex-wife had a great salad recipe that used it: baby shrimps, small green seedless grapes, mayonnaise and chopped fresh dill - delicious.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
link   Paula Bartholomew    7 years ago

I can't stand MW.  It is too sweet.  I don't use mayo that often but it is a must on a turkey sandwhich.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
link   Freefaller    7 years ago

MMMmmmm mayo (gurgle).  Seriously it should be against the law to serve a burger or BLT without it.